“We like almost everything except the pillows--they were not...”

Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines
Ranked #13 of 49 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We like almost everything except the pillows--they were not comfortable.
Everything else was just fine.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed November 12, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 11, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 11, 2013

When I looked into finding a hotel for one night in Des Moines, I turned to Tripadvisor. I was happy to find a reasonable hotel that was rated so highly. Imagine my shock when I arrived at the Super 8 on November 9. Although the parking lot was clean and well lit, as soon as I came into the hotel, I knew that this was not going to be the highly rated affordable accommodation I had expected.

The front desk woman was friendly enough, but when I asked to check in a little early - about 45 minutes early - I was told that "I don't think that the room is ready". The place was empty, so I doubt that was the case. Regardless, my daughter and I went to eat and came back a bit after 3:00. We checked into a non-smoking 2 queen bedroom. As we were walking to our room, the stench of stale cigarette smoke permeated the halls. We were on the second floor, and although our room was non-smoking, we were flanked with rooms that were clearly marked for smoking. It was obvious that our room had once been a smoking room, as the sign had been pried off of the door with adhesive residue still visible.

Upon entering the room, on the surface it looked tidy; however, there was a grime that permeated the soft furnishings that could only be the result of previous years' use as a smoking room. The bedding was like a moisture magnet, drying out our skin faster than we could apply moisturizer. The bedding was old, pilled, and in desperate need of replacement. Upon further examination, it was obvious that the cleaning staff do a hit and miss job as there was food under the beds.

The hot tub and sauna were obviously afterthoughts and dropped in the hallway. the hot tub wasn't even filled, and by the looks of the dirt and dust in the area, hadn't been used in quite some time.

The pillows on the beds were terribly uncomfortable and left us both with stiff necks and sore backs. Back in the hall to leave the hotel, the 'free breakfast' was little more than some weak, stale coffee and a few carb-laden items. Needless to say, as bad as the hotel was, free breakfast or not, my daughter and I opted to drive 5 miles to IHOP. When we checked out, there was not 'thank you', no 'how was your stay', we didn't even receive a receipt.

I've stayed at economy hotels before, and this hotel is by far the worst. It needs to be smoke free, have a deep cleaning, and complete soft furnishing renovation. YUCK!

Room Tip: Go to the Wildwood Lodge next door. The rooms are cleaner and the breakfast far superior!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed November 2, 2013

This was a nice place to stay. The staff was extremely pleasant and the motel was clean, updated, nicely decorated, and had the standard breakfast of waffles, eggs, sausage, cereal (hot and cold), yogurt, bananas, toast, coffee and juice. We used the laundry facilities and the PC in the lobby. The surrounding area was very pretty which made for a pleasant walk after a long drive. The only drawback for this motel was the road signage. There was a 4-5 foot sign by a parking lot entrance and absolutely nothing on the building which look uninhabited. This Super 8 was a good deal and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 27, 2013

Conveniently located, just off interstate. Close to good restaurants, Barnes & Noble, etc. The lobby, room, etc., were sparkling clean--even the parking lot. Only negative I can think of is it seemed I caught the breakfast spread on an off day.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay
Days Inn Des Moines Merle Hay
#29 of 49 in Des Moines
Baymont Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport

Been to Super 8 Clive/W Des Moines? Share your experiences!