“Kids begged to go back”

Science Center of Iowa
Ranked #13 of 72 things to do in Des Moines
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

We spent two lovely days at the science center with a 3 year old and a 5 year old. The 5 year old really enjoyed the presentations on the great hall. The speakers are very engaging and describe the concepts simply, but use correct terms like sublimation. The Sue dinosaur exhibit didn't excite my kids, but we spent hours in the play areas upstairs and the toddler/preschool area downstairs. The 5 year old really enjoyed the toddler room too. There were several exhibits there that really interested him and kept him busy for more than an hour. Big plus: bathroom in the toddler area!! Hooray!
The restaurant was reasonable. $4-6 for everything. Staff was quite polite and helpful at the front desk and the restaurant. We went free with our home museums reciprocity.

1  Thank TravelinandoutNC
There are newer reviews for Science Center of Iowa

Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is a kids hands on Science center. My grandson got to "dig" for dinosaur bones, make a rocket and fly it and played for hours. The toddler room has a "fishing" area and a bubble table. We had a really great day, So many activities and not enough time!

Reviewed March 22, 2013

I took my 2-year old niece and 6-year old nephew to the SCI and we enjoyed the time. There are enough hands on activities to keep the kids engaged. They have a spot for kinders which is nice as the activity center upstairs is for 6+ year old kids. We went to the IMAX and saw the Dinosaur movie (2D) and I thought it was interesting enough to keep both kids active watchers. The movie went from animation to real people back to animation - good for adults and kids. We paid $41 for the three of us (included the movie) and spent 3 hours total time. We could have spent a bit more time if we had it.

When comparing to other Science centers, it is smaller. However, this isn't Houston or Chicago so the traffic isn't as heavy so I would say that for the size of the city, this is a good center.

Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

We had a great time. Sue the T-Rex was on display, and my 6 year old HAD to see "her". The star lab was amazing, and their learning center upstairs would have kept the kids entertained for hours on end. Big enough to have lots of fun things for the kids, but not so big that the kids get tired of walking. We are looking forward to our next visit.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Having visited a Science Center in a neighboring state, I was pretty disappointed by my home state's center. The exhibits are good, if starting to look a little worse for wear, but staff is scarce. This would be a good half-day visit with kids 4-10 who are interested in science. Parking is free on the streets on weekends, so we took advantage of that and our museum pass to see the sites.

The youngest liked the "town" area on the ground floor for smaller kids which has only one entrance/exit to cut down on the chance of you loosing your rug rat. There are some fun areas to run around and an excellent pin sculpture.

The oldest realized she had been there before with school and got pretty bored pretty quickly. I was most impressed with the ball wall, the paper rocket launcher, and the egg drop upstairs.