“A good place to take the grandchildren.”

Science Center of Iowa
Ranked #13 of 72 things to do in Des Moines
Reviewed January 18, 2013

It had been several years since I had been there (they had even moved to a newer & nicer location)...Most of it was geared to the younger children (teenage & below) for the hands on portion but it was a nice way to spend a rainy day with the great-grand children and their parents and my daughter....

Reviewed January 10, 2013

I have two small children ages 3 and 6. They love the Des Moines Science Center. There are several areas for the kids to be hands on which they love. Every few months management will bring in a new exhibit. Some are good and some not so good. They also have an I Max Theater which is noce. The one time we went however, the snack bar closed. We were about 7-10 mins late and the kid closed the snack bar. Just bring your own treats and save money. For the cost to get into the place it is very expenseive. You can't even get into the place wiuth a family of four for less than $50.00 plus food and gift shop. You can easily drop over $70.00 on a visit. We went to the Lincoln Childrens Museum in Lincoln, NE and it was ten times better for 1/2 the price.

2  Thank Tbone211
Reviewed December 26, 2012

easy to find location. Good price......lots of different stuff to explore...spacious...not crowded.....my kids loved it..even my son who was 1 year old....he loved it here....

Reviewed October 31, 2012

We are members of a reciprocal museum, so our visit was free, otherwise, we would have been upset because this place is pretty pricey. The museum feels empty, the exhibits just weren't that engaging, we learned some interesting things from the movie on early space flight and did some of the "hands on" activities geared at children. The employees or volunteers were pleasant and informative and invited us to do the childrens activites. If someone said, "I've got one day in Des Moines, any suggestions?" This wouldn't be one of them.

5  Thank Big D
Reviewed October 25, 2012

There were some neat things there, but it was only enough to keep an 8-year-old entertained for about an hour (the IMAX film we wanted was sold out and she was NOT interested in the Mars exhibit). I suppose it was because of the Mars exhibit, but the exhibits seemed heavily focused on space, which is not something all kids are interested in. I think our niece would have enjoyed a return trip to Blank Park Zoo more than this trip. However, we are partial to the Science Museum of Minnesota, which seems like it has a wider variety of exhibits for all interests, so it could just be us!

1  Thank Kery E