“Worth Going but Something is Missing”
Review of Bos

Bos
Ranked #271 of 581 Restaurants in Des Moines
Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 4th street
Description: Contemporary Midwest Cuisine
Reviewed June 30, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed our meal at BOS but I left thinking that something was missing. To start with, we arrived at 6:45pm on a Friday. The restaurant was nearly empty. Not a good sign. We walked to the hostess stand and no one was there. About a minute later, a waitress coming from the lobby (the restaurant is inside the historic Hotel Savory) with drinks said she would be right with us. After delivering her drinks, she came back and sat us.

Our waitress took our drink orders, two glasses of wine, and we ordered an appetizer, home made onion rings. The wine was a little slow in coming but, again, I noticed that our waitress was coming from from the lobby. The bar is on the opposite side of the the hotel's lobby. This seems very inconvenient for the wait staff. It also seems like a potential problem if there are a lot of people checking in. Maybe I am making more of this than necessary but it just seems like a horrible set up. Sorry, back to the review. BOS has a fairly decent wine list and most selections are available by the glass. You pay through the nose for some of the higher end wines but the opportunity to try some of these wines was well worth it to me. I was slightly disappointed in the onion rings. I expected more flavor. If I have to add salt, there is an issue.

Our entrees were very good. The presentation on the plates was nice. My wife ordered the 12 oz Iowa beef strip steak sandwich. Don't let the name "sandwich" fool you. This was a very good piece of meat and at 12 oz, much larger than typical steak sandwiches. She said the steak was well seasoned and was very tender. She ordered it medium well. It appeared to me to be closer to medium rare, though she did not send it back. I had the tournedos de burgo with garlic mashed potatoes. The meat was super tender and cooked properly (I wanted mine medium rare). The meal was good but I felt the cream sauce lacked a little flavor. I thought the meat would be better without anything on it. The mashed potatoes lacked garlic. The mixed vegetables were wonderful, a grilled mix of asparagus, broccoli, carrots, brussel sprouts and yellow squash.

For dessert, we shared the chocolate chip cookie skillet. Save room for this! The cookie is made in the skillet, brought out hot to the table. The ice cream (AE premium vanilla bean) and whipped cream are served on the side. Fantastic!

The wait staff is attentive. This may sound crazy but our waitress needs to slow down a bit. I liked her enthusiasm and she was always busy but in a nicer restaurant, the staff should not seemed so rushed. That aside, she was very nice and really did a good job.

I want to say that I loved the place but I can't, but I certainly cannot say that I hated it either. The bottom line is I would give BOS another opportunity. I hope others do too.

Reviewed May 8, 2012

The service was amazing and so friendly. Even to our room service breakfast. We had guests for dinner and was not disappointed. Also breakfast the following day. I had the salmon with dijon mustard sauce and the others prime rib was falling apart it was so tender. The staff were outstanding in their professionalism and friendly service.

Reviewed April 25, 2012

The location is perfect (inside the Savery Hotel), the service was excellent, the décor is cheery, the restaurant is sparking, and the food is good, but not exceptional. It is billed as serving “Midwestern Contemporary Cuisine.” I ate two meals there and I think they did a better job with the sandwich and fries than with the pork chops. I was disappointed in the pork chops ~ rather tough and not too flavorful.

Reviewed April 21, 2012

The Savory Hotel is a icon in down town Des Moines ---just going there brings back decades of memories ---events and so forth. therefore I am so glad to have a restaurant in the hotel where I can meet friend old and new, for a great breakfast buffet -- or any meal and relax in a not rushed pleasant ambiance of a time gone by . there is always really nice fresh fruit. Desserts are made in house or from a local bakery. Try the apple dessert that is in a puffed pastry and made in house , a serving is 2 and great to share. Your never rushed here and staff is GREAT !!!

Reviewed March 21, 2012

The breakfast buffet had cold and hot foods and was a real bargain for the price - only $11. Nothing in hotels is avaialbe for $11 these days!!