“Best of Des Moines”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Des Moines, Iowa
“Best of Des Moines”
Reviewed November 11, 2013

This is the best kept secret in Des Moines. Most people don't think about it because it's only open a couple of nights a week, but it's definitely worth it. Make your reservation for a Thursday night and there's no corkage fees. Stop @ Gateway before you come and enjoy a bottle of wine. The food is great. The pasta is handmade every day. My husband won't leave without getting their cavatelli. I'm happy to try new dishes, but I've had the prosciutto wrapped chicken and the tagliatelle when I've gone and both were phenomenal. Can't wait to go back!

• Visited November 2013

Kansas City, Missouri
“A Real Treat”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We rented the restaurant for an after hours event and it was a perfect venue for our party of 35+. Service was fantastic, the food unique yet delicious and plenty of it. The appetizer stations were located throughout the main floor which prompted guests to move about and mix. I especially enjoyed the stuffed mushrooms!

• Visited September 2013
Amherstburg
“Great recommendation.”
Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

We heard about the place from our friends that kept bragging about it. So we decided to give it a try and we didn't regret.The menu was different and original,loved the selection if wines,the quirky waitress, beautiful patio, the interior with great atmosphere,everything was where was supposed to be. If I ever go back to Des Moines I will definitely visit this restaurant.

• Visited July 2013
Bayahibe, Dominican Republic
“Charming”
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

What a delightful place! We enjoyed the pizza starter, the house salad and two pasta dishes. The pasta was done perfectly and the tastes delightful. In hindsight we could have easily split the pasta entree...definitely enough for two! The flour less chocolate cake dessert was magnificent. My only complaint...it was clear that they wanted to true the table twice that evening. The wait staff was very attentive, but we hadn't finished the appetizer when the salad arrived. Then...right behind it came the pasta! Things got a little crowded on our table for two and I so wished we had time to savor the tastes before hurrying on to the next course. Next time we will ask them to slow the pace...

Visited April 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
“One of the best restaurants in Des Moines!”
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I visited Cafe di Scala on a Thursday nights with my girlfriends. Since I had made reservations and there were 5 of us, we had our own private room. We all had the special - Pasta Pomodoro with fresh crab - it was FANTASTIC! The pasta was homemade and the crab was fresh. Thursdays are a great night to go as there isn't a corkage fee. We also tried dessert - tiramisu and flour less chocolate cake and both were delicious. We had been there a couple hours and we were asked if we could move to the bar because they needed the table for another reservation. They even comped us a drink at the bar for the inconvenience!

• Visited December 2012