New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“JUST NOT THAT SPECIAL.” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Alba

Alba
Reserve with OpenTable
Alba is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 551 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“JUST NOT THAT SPECIAL.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012 via mobile

High priced, small quantities and the owner is rude. Good martinis and a different selection of food but over all not that special.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Iowa
“You must experience Alba!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2012

I had heard many friends tell me how wonderful Alba Restaurant is, but two nights ago, I finally found out for myself. It was amazing! The atmosphere was inviting, the wait staff was genuinely friendly and helpful. The food was top of the line, with a unique menu that still had some options for the not so adventuresome.
We asked for onion rings for an appetizer even though they were only listed with one of the entrees. They gladly accommodated our request and they were the best onion rings we had ever had, real onions, beer battered to perfection! My husband's Pork Loin Duo was amazing and my my Australian Barramundi, a mild white fish, was some of the best seafood I have had, and I have had tried seafood all over the world. The side of green beans was very flavorful and we even took the leftover beans home. Just too good to waste.
Don't miss this one. Now that we have been there, we will go back many times, and it will be a place we take friends whether they are from in town or guests from out of town.
You won't be disappointed with Alba.
One other little perk, if you sit on the east side by the window, you can see the dome of the Iowa State Capitol, one of the most impressive in the nation!

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank JanIowa
“Excellent dining experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

I was amazed reading some of the negative reviews. This restaurant is by far one of our favorites. My husband and I usually eat here for lunch but our married daughter and husband dine often in the evening. Everything both couples have ever ordered has been delicious, plated well, and served by a prompt, helpful staff. I know the best place may have an off day but how more than one person could have experienced a less than perfect meal, I can hardly believe. You should check it out yourself. Everything is always fresh and the menu is always changing according to the best ingredients they can find throughout the year.

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank Sharon-teacher
“Food is good, but mgmt is a miss”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

Have been there twice. food is good. But went for an advertised special. After we arrived and asked about the special, we learned pricing was different than was advertised. This has happened on two separate occassions.

Visited April 2012
“DEFINITELY TOP 5 IN DES MOINES!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

So, my girlfriend and I dined at Alba during restaurant week and we absolutely loved it. We are both foodies and we loved the whole experience. Our waiter was spot on!! Answered all our questions and made excellent suggestions. Sure, the portions were not huge or as large as most restaurants, but the food was so satisfying there was no need to overeat or have leftovers. Besides, I think as mid-westerners we are used to over sized meals. I had the heirloom tomatoe salad with homemade ricotta, the pork loin with chorizo(best thing I've eaten for a long time), and bread pudding(best I've ever had). All for $25 since it was restaurant week, but felt like it was worth even more, since it was so delicious!! I cannot wait to go back for more and I am shocked this place is rated so low on TP!! Definitely, top 5 in Des Moines.

1 Thank supertaster74