“Excellent dining experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alba

Alba
Reserve with OpenTable
Alba is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 539 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: American
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“Excellent dining experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I was amazed reading some of the negative reviews. This restaurant is by far one of our favorites. My husband and I usually eat here for lunch but our married daughter and husband dine often in the evening. Everything both couples have ever ordered has been delicious, plated well, and served by a prompt, helpful staff. I know the best place may have an off day but how more than one person could have experienced a less than perfect meal, I can hardly believe. You should check it out yourself. Everything is always fresh and the menu is always changing according to the best ingredients they can find throughout the year.

• Visited September 2012
3 Thank Sharon-teacher

“Food is good, but mgmt is a miss”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Have been there twice. food is good. But went for an advertised special. After we arrived and asked about the special, we learned pricing was different than was advertised. This has happened on two separate occassions.

Visited April 2012
“DEFINITELY TOP 5 IN DES MOINES!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

So, my girlfriend and I dined at Alba during restaurant week and we absolutely loved it. We are both foodies and we loved the whole experience. Our waiter was spot on!! Answered all our questions and made excellent suggestions. Sure, the portions were not huge or as large as most restaurants, but the food was so satisfying there was no need to overeat or have leftovers. Besides, I think as mid-westerners we are used to over sized meals. I had the heirloom tomatoe salad with homemade ricotta, the pork loin with chorizo(best thing I've eaten for a long time), and bread pudding(best I've ever had). All for $25 since it was restaurant week, but felt like it was worth even more, since it was so delicious!! I cannot wait to go back for more and I am shocked this place is rated so low on TP!! Definitely, top 5 in Des Moines.

1 Thank supertaster74
Fairfield, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great food, tiny portions, noisy room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

After looking online at the menus of all participants in the recent Des Moines Restaurant Week, we thought Alba's looked like the most interesting. The three-course prix fixe dinner was delicious and beautifully presented, but stingy with the portion sizes. The appetizers were practically amuses bouches, and the entrees (imaginative salmon and barramundi recipes) were lunch-size portions. The peach clafouti for dessert was pretty amazing, though, and contained more calories than the rest of the dinner combined.
The room was simply too loud. If they're trying to attract a "younger" crowd with this ambience, it isn't working -- practically everyone there was over 50. Lastly, the server was inattentive to a fault: we had to flag him down simply to order coffee. Bottom line: We chose Alba primarily for the food and were pretty much delighted with it, except for the portion sizes. Service and ambience alone would rate two stars.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I'd rate this place as excellent except I didn't love the big open room, and our entrees were both rather over-salted. Service was good once it began (waited a few minutes) and the beet and haricot verts salads were exceptional. We did not try any of the burgers. The gnocchi and tagliatelle were very good although as mentioned, oddly salty. We had salted caramel creme brulee (yes, we ordered salt for dessert!) and it was lovely. Nice wine list! I'd go back.

Visited July 2012