“DEFINITELY TOP 5 IN DES MOINES!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Alba

Alba
Reserve with OpenTable
Alba is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #41 of 545 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: American
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
“DEFINITELY TOP 5 IN DES MOINES!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

So, my girlfriend and I dined at Alba during restaurant week and we absolutely loved it. We are both foodies and we loved the whole experience. Our waiter was spot on!! Answered all our questions and made excellent suggestions. Sure, the portions were not huge or as large as most restaurants, but the food was so satisfying there was no need to overeat or have leftovers. Besides, I think as mid-westerners we are used to over sized meals. I had the heirloom tomatoe salad with homemade ricotta, the pork loin with chorizo(best thing I've eaten for a long time), and bread pudding(best I've ever had). All for $25 since it was restaurant week, but felt like it was worth even more, since it was so delicious!! I cannot wait to go back for more and I am shocked this place is rated so low on TP!! Definitely, top 5 in Des Moines.

1 Thank supertaster74

Fairfield, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“great food, tiny portions, noisy room”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

After looking online at the menus of all participants in the recent Des Moines Restaurant Week, we thought Alba's looked like the most interesting. The three-course prix fixe dinner was delicious and beautifully presented, but stingy with the portion sizes. The appetizers were practically amuses bouches, and the entrees (imaginative salmon and barramundi recipes) were lunch-size portions. The peach clafouti for dessert was pretty amazing, though, and contained more calories than the rest of the dinner combined.
The room was simply too loud. If they're trying to attract a "younger" crowd with this ambience, it isn't working -- practically everyone there was over 50. Lastly, the server was inattentive to a fault: we had to flag him down simply to order coffee. Bottom line: We chose Alba primarily for the food and were pretty much delighted with it, except for the portion sizes. Service and ambience alone would rate two stars.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nice place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I'd rate this place as excellent except I didn't love the big open room, and our entrees were both rather over-salted. Service was good once it began (waited a few minutes) and the beet and haricot verts salads were exceptional. We did not try any of the burgers. The gnocchi and tagliatelle were very good although as mentioned, oddly salty. We had salted caramel creme brulee (yes, we ordered salt for dessert!) and it was lovely. Nice wine list! I'd go back.

Visited July 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Better eat before you go to Alba”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

While I generally think the serving sizes at most restaurants are too large, Alba is the extreme opposite - unbelievably small. The drinks are quite small too, and it was difficult to tell if there was any alcohol in them whatsoever despite the charge of $9.50 for a small specialty drink. The atmosphere and service were good, but otherwise Alba is so not worth the money!

• Visited June 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank J B
West Des Moines, Iowa
“aMAziNG! Favorite Restaurant in Des Moines. Period.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

It doesn't get much better than this in Des Moines. My friends and I visited for dinner several months ago, and I have been back three times since (2 lunch, 1 dinner)! Among the things to love:

1) Creative seasonal menu which changes frequently. (Note: The kitchen relies on fresh and organic ingredients that can change daily so one of our servers suggested that we call ahead if we really wanted to know if a specific item was being served for dinner.)

2) Their website is really fun. The sample of menu items and prices was helpful. albadsm.com

3) Friendly and professional staff.

4) Try a martini. Although they are a little pricey ($8-$10) they are super strong and ridiculously tasty.

5) Dessert: Lava cake is hands down the best dessert I have ever had in Des Moines. Must try it! Must.

Obviously I am a little obsessed with this place and it has quickly become my favorite restaurant in Des Moines (sorry Baru!).

• Visited March 2012