“Nice Asian fusion in Des Moines”
Review of Red China Bistro - CLOSED

Red China Bistro
Cuisines: Asian, Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
San Francisco, California
“Nice Asian fusion in Des Moines”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Something different for Des Moines. As someone who lives in San Francisco, I enjoy this place. I've always found the service to be good and they are very accommodating of my food allergies. The decor is elegant. The portions are generous. Try the pot-stickers. It is not super adventurous food, but I've always found it to be a nice evening.

• Visited April 2013

Des Moines, Iowa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“We Keep Trying . . . We Keep Getting Let Down”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

We keep wanting to like this restaurant. And we keep being disappointed. We've eaten -- or tried to eat (since one Saturday afternoon we showed up for lunch and they were in the process of closing earlier than their posted hours) -- there numerous times. We live in the neighborhood and are devoted to eating out at locally-owned restaurants. We WANT our local restaurants to succeed. But we have been underwhelmed each time we've been there. The food is OK. The service is so-so at best. The last time we ate there, our main course took much too long (over 30 minutes); and while the server made half-hearted attempts to apologize, there were no tangible efforts to make the extensive wait more of a customer service "save."

• Visited March 2013
Clive
“Way overpriced for bland food and bad service”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

We should have known this was going to be a 'loser' when every other place in town had a 30+ min wait and Red only had 3 tables full. Waitress knew practically nothing and then said we could order noodles with any dish - we did - then the dish arrives sans noodles. Oh well. Orange chicken was tasteless and barely warm. My pad thai salad was odd, not in a good way. SLOW and unhelpful staff. My martini was glorified cranberry juice for $9 and husband had a $4.50 beer. WAY too much money for the entire experience.

• Visited January 2013
Polk City, Iowa
“If you enjoy mediocre food and poor service dine here!”
Reviewed December 26, 2012

My wife and I had a groupon for this restaurant so we thought we would try the Red Bistro on Wednesday 12-26-12. We arrived at 5:40 pm and started by ordering lettuce wraps for an appetizer, well at 6:15 they were finally brought to our table and when we looked down we saw a clump of chicken on top of 1 yes 1 wilted piece of lettuce. we had to eat it with our forks after tearing the lettuce leaf in half (unbelievable) our main entries arrived to our table at 6:45 and my dish angry chicken (not as angry as I was) had mushy broccoli and flavor was average at best my wife had cashew chicken and her comment was "not bad" which means not very good because she never criticizes anything. Our waitress was pleasant but must have been a cook as well because she was never to be found. The people who sat next to us waited a minimum of 20 minutes before they were able to order their meal and this place was only 1/2 full! Take my advise if you want good Chinese food visit the Mandarin in West Des Moines less costly and far better food.

• Visited December 2012
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
“What has happened to this restaurant?”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

I have frequented this restaurant several times in the past. The food was consistently good there for awhile, so our recent visit was quite the surprise.
My friend had the orange chicken and I had the Laos chicken curry, both popular staples. After waiting over one and one half hours, the waitress plopped one plate on the table, then wandered off to take the order of a table of six. We had to waive her down and demand the rest of our meal. The orange chicken, normally made with thinly sliced, good quality chicken had been replaced with big chunks of cheap, grisly chicken. My Laos curry sauce was still good, but both entrees were drenched in just an unbelievable amount of grease.
So to summarize, every thing we wanted we had to fight for, the waitress was terrible and obviously untrained. The cook was slow and bad. I would really like to see this restaurant turn themselves around and go back to serving good food, but it appears they don't want to put forth the effort?

• Visited December 2012