“Great hotel, great experience”

Hyatt Place Des Moines Downtown
Ranked #1 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Des Moines, Iowa
“Great hotel, great experience”
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a concert at Wells Fargo arena as it was within walking distance. It was chaos when we checked in. So many other concert-goers checking in at the same time and there was absolutely no parking anywhere, even to use the valet service. However, through all of this, the staff was exceptional. As hectic as it was, they were professional, friendly and efficient. The lobby and the rooms were beautiful and the bed was more comfortable than my own at home. We didn't use many of the amenities such as the dining area or pool, but we definitely enjoyed our stay. If we're in the area again, we'll definitely choose the same hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Mary M, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Place Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. We're thrilled you enjoyed your accommodations. It was really fun having all the concert go-er's here that night! We will look for you next time there is an epic band in town!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Ottawa, Illinois
Reviewed July 24, 2014

I stayed at the Hyatt Place this past weekend for an event going on in Des Moines and I had wonderful experience the customer service I received made me feel like I was more then just a guest. The front desk staff were fantastic especially Sho and Ian they we very helpful and made it feel like I was at home. The rooms are great and spacious as well. The free shuttle was great to go around downtown. I can't wait till I am able to stay here again!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
We're pleased you enjoyed your experience with us. And we agree- Sho and Ian are awesome! I've passed along your kind words to them.

Hopefully we will see you back at the Hyatt Place soon!
Reviewed July 23, 2014

Stayed only one night, wish we could have stayed longer. The staff was very helpful and prompt on checking in. Parking was easy and it was easy to find. The hotel was walking distance to several restaurants and I felt very comfortable walking with my three young girls by myself. Rooms were clean, breakfast was hot. Would recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed July 2014
We wish you could have stayed longer, also! Thank you for your review. We hope to see you back soon!
Plymouth, Minnesota
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Stayed here for one night in July 2014 and had a great experience. The staff was beyond helpful and polite. The valet parking was very affordable and a must for this downtown location. The free breakfast was good, a little short on areas to sit and eat. The room was a good size and comfortable. The pool is very small so might not be great for kids.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Mary M, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Place Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Thank you for reviewing our hotel. We are pleased you enjoyed our accommodations! We look forward to seeing you return soon!
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed July 16, 2014

The staff was outstanding from the minute we pulled up to the hotel to when we left. They were always making certain we had all that we needed. The breakfast was great. Our room was clean and everything was in working order. It is located in downtown Des Moines and an easy walk to many activities. They also have an airport shuttle!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Mary M, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Place Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We're genuinely pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to see you next time you are in the Des Moines area!
saint louis
Reviewed July 14, 2014

My husband and I stayed at this hotel and were pleasantly surprised from the moment we walked in the door. The employees were more than just friendly, they were outgoing and very attentive. They told us where to find restaurants and even helped us schedule a trolley to the Science Center so we wouldn't have to walk in the rain. The room we had was quite a bit larger than a standard hotel room and was very comfortable. The free breakfast was a nice treat and was quite tasty.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Mary M, Guest Relations Manager at Hyatt Place Des Moines Downtown, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Thank you for your review. We're pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to experience downtown Des Moines! We can't wait to see you return!
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed July 12, 2014

I stayed at the Hyatt in Des Moines on 7/11/14 and I must stay I was beyond disappointed!!! I booked a room with two queen beds. I checked my email reservation as well as the reminder email I received about a week before my stay. The day before we stayed, I called the hotel to confirm they had a pool and once again verified my room- two queen beds, all seemed good. We arrived and were told we had a king bed and a pull out sofa. I said we booked a room with two queen words. There were several of us girls staying for a ladies night out, so that’s what we needed. They apologized and said they were booked that night and that is all they had left. The gal attempted to joke staying we could draw straws to see who got the bed and who had the couch and then joked we could all share a bed. So, I’m paying $150 a night to put 3 of us in one bed? Why would I do this? Is that comfortable? Plus we were splitting the room so those who got the bed are paying the same as the ones shoved to the couch? Doesn’t seem fair. I let it go and figured when we paid at check out I’d discuss it again. I let them know my disappointment and she informed me I did everything right, it was there fault not mine, but it happens, they over book. I let her know I didn’t feel I needed to pay the same amount for one bed as two and she informed me they were the same cost. She offered us a free soda for our ride home. ARE YOU KIDDING? A soda? I let her know the steps I took and the emails I had confirming my reservations but all I got was I’m sorry there is nothing we can do. I let her know I would never come back as I was extremely disappointed and again her reply was I’m sorry. Well, way to go and lose a customer. I come to the city several times a year and will NEVER stay there again since I guess I will never know what room I will be getting. Oh and aside from this, there are signs all over the hotel raving about this amazing breakfast, so I was excited to wake up and eat. We get up and are at breakfast at around 6:30 in the morning, so far from late, and our choices? Well some microwaved pancakes and chewy sausage was the menu for the hot breakfast. What happened to these amazing looking breakfast sandwiches in the pictures all over the hotel? I ended up with yogurt and a bowl of cereal, just awesome I got the same breaks I would get at a hotel offering a free cold breakfast. I was not impressed!!! Hopefully your stay is better than ours and you get the room you’ve booked! Oh and if you think I didn’t book enough in advance and that is why this happened, well I booked our room 5 months in advance.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cortney H
Thank you for your feedback in regards to your recent stay with us. We apologize for your stay being anything less than exceptional and we hope you give us an opportunity in the future to earn back your business and loyalty.