“This was a great hotel”

Hyatt Place Des Moines Downtown
Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This was a great hotel. It was beautiful. The lobby and room were clean and spacious. The breakfast that they serve in the morning was fabulous. They served everything from yogurt, breakfast sandwiches, cereal, and too much for me to add it here. I would definitely return here for another visit.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 25, 2013 via mobile

I was recently here for a wedding and the hotel was fully booked. The room we had on the sixth floor was spacious and laid out nicely, however there were some curious stains on the sofa so we didn't use that at all. The bed was comfortable and a nice bathroom. Breakfast was a total zoo. The dining space is limited and seating and coffee was hard to come by.

The worst part of the hotel was hearing traffic on the street at night and ever noise in rooms around us. We could even hear the ice machine drop ice which was down the hall from us. Not sure what causes the noise to reverberate, but were two of the most exhausting nights.

I would not stay here again. There were some great bars and restaurants within walking distance and they so offer a free shuttle around town.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed at the downtown Des Moines Hyatt on a business trip. I arrived dead tired. I was checked into my room in 3 minutes. Great service. Lovely room, well appointed. I could have spent 2 days sleeping in the bed! And the breakfast, made to order, is spectacular. I'll definitely stay again.

Room Tip: I stayed on a street side and had no noise issues.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 6, 2013

This hotel is nice. Staff was ok but not great. Food was not edible. Would not stay here again. Should have staff replaced, and different food vendors. If you can stay at another hotel. This place is not worth your money.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 4, 2013

What a wonderful stay, the best hotel we stayed at while traveling across the mid-west. The staff was great, gave us a great restaurant suggestion, Cento, which was also fantastic. This place was the highlight of our whole trip and would definitely stay again

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We were in Des Moines for the downtown art fair.

The parking was challenging only because there wasn't clear direction where to go and limited parking out front. I would just advise to expect to pay the $15 for valet parking up front rather then trying to find a place to park on the street.

When we checked in the staff did not instill a sense of confidence in me regarding their abilities. There was hesitation when I asked about the valet parking as well as when I mentioned wanting a shuttle ride down to the art fair. I also had a gift certificate. Now in most cases I would think they could just swipe the gift card and be able to identify a balance, but the said it had to be called in and we would not know if it was taken off until the next morning. Fortunately, after checking on the room, the shuttle was waiting for us and our vehicle was tucked away.

The room was big with high ceiling, it was fairly clean, and had decent furnishings. The shower handle was challenging to turn. You had to grip it firmly and turn forcibly.

We couldn't get the room to warm up. It was set to 62 when we arrived and we could not get the temp comfortable without the room overheating. I was also surprised at the amount of road noise, even on the 5th floor.

On a positive note, Alex, the shuttle driver, was a great help. He was prompt and he gave us good suggestions where to eat. He seemed confident in his duties.

At the end of our stay, our gift certificate correctly figured into the bill as well. So, overall, I think the check-in staff needs to act a little more confident in their first impressions, but the hotel was a good stay after all.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This was an amazing place! I've stayed at 4 downtown Des Moines Hotels and I've never been completely satisfied with my stay. Until now! The Hyatt was amazing from check-in to check-out with a beautiful room, helpful staff and prices you'd expect to pay for what you get. As soon as we walked in the concierge made sure we hadn't paid to park across the street (it was a Saturday) and then let us know where the nearest free parking was. The shuttle was always coming or going and will take you anywhere you want to go 5 miles from the hotel and back.

We booked a King Suite ($20 more when we booked). The suite was big enough for 15 people to mingle in, easy. We felt bad we were just there as a couple with all this room. The sofa-sectional was nice to stretch out on, the mini-fridge was so cold it almost froze our soda solid, the main sitting are TV had plenty of jacks to hook a computer, game console, or anything else up to it. The internet was fast. The elevator to the 8th floor was SCARY FAST! Seriously, I have an elevator phobia but I barely had time to freak out it got us from ground level to the top story so quickly. They have a menu you can order from 24/7! I could go on. It really was just a pleasant night.

Room Tip: Pay the extra $20 for a suite! You'll feel like a King! If you are a light sleeper ask for a roo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple