“Ranked so high for a reason!”

Hyatt Place Des Moines Downtown
Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed June 13, 2013

This was an amazing place! I've stayed at 4 downtown Des Moines Hotels and I've never been completely satisfied with my stay. Until now! The Hyatt was amazing from check-in to check-out with a beautiful room, helpful staff and prices you'd expect to pay for what you get. As soon as we walked in the concierge made sure we hadn't paid to park across the street (it was a Saturday) and then let us know where the nearest free parking was. The shuttle was always coming or going and will take you anywhere you want to go 5 miles from the hotel and back.

We booked a King Suite ($20 more when we booked). The suite was big enough for 15 people to mingle in, easy. We felt bad we were just there as a couple with all this room. The sofa-sectional was nice to stretch out on, the mini-fridge was so cold it almost froze our soda solid, the main sitting are TV had plenty of jacks to hook a computer, game console, or anything else up to it. The internet was fast. The elevator to the 8th floor was SCARY FAST! Seriously, I have an elevator phobia but I barely had time to freak out it got us from ground level to the top story so quickly. They have a menu you can order from 24/7! I could go on. It really was just a pleasant night.

Room Tip: Pay the extra $20 for a suite! You'll feel like a King! If you are a light sleeper ask for a roo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Being away from home for business is not often an anticipated event. If every hotel booked for my business travel was as comfortable and spacious as the Hyatt Place in Downtown Des Moines, my complaints would nearly cease. The staff at check in were courteous and friendly offering suggestions of nearby restaurants in addition to their onsite cafe. The lobby was richly decorated, inviting and clean. "Spacious" doesn't do the corner suite justice. The room layout was well planned and accommodating for getting plenty of work done as well as relaxing after a long day. The bathroom was clean and organized. Though business brought me to this hotel, I would definitely return to it for family travel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Our stay started badly as we pulled up to unload our luggage in front of a sign stating that this was a place for 20-min max temporary parking. An officious hotel employee came running up to tell us that we could NOT stop there unless we handed him our keys and accepted that he might need to move our car, even though we were only stopping momentarily. He was clearly trying to force us into valet parking, although on weekends there is ample street parking nearby. We got back in our car and found such a place. He was rude and nasty. Then, checking in at the desk, we learned that although I'm a gold Hyatt program member, we would not get credit for our stay because I booked it with Expedia. No other hotel loyalty program (and I belong to quite a few) has this punitive policy. Our room was fine, although it was adjacent to the heating/cooling towers and thus a lot of noise. But worse noise was provided by our neighbors, who were apparently allowed to have a small dog in their room - it barked frequently, a high-pitched yapping, late into the wee hours of the AM (plus they were yelling and partying). So overall.........we visit Des Moines frequently because our son lives there - we'll try somewhere else next time.

Room Tip: Ask not to be adjacent to someone with a dog in their room!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This Hotel is Awesome. The service exceeds expectations. The rooms are clean, modern, well lite, nice bathroom amenities, coffee service in room. The breakfast buffet is included, has fresh fruit, hot items, like breakfast sandwiches, French Toast or waffles, cereals, there were different types of yogurt, bagels, toast, mini donuts, muffins, all was fresh an appetizing, juice OJ, Tomato, milk 2% and skin, decalf and regular coffee and assorted teas. The valet service was great and reasonable. Free daily newspapers are available. Walking distance to many attractions. The Saturday Farmers Market is not to be missed. The hotel has free internet. A nice pool and fitness center, I did not use them, too busy. I highly recommend staying here. My wife and I will return to enjoy this wonderful hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2013

We had a great time at the Hyatt Place Des Moines. We opted for the valet parking even though the valet told us we could find street parking if we wanted. I didn't want to circle three blocks for an hour to find something but it was nice that the valet told us that - they actually care if you want to save money. The check-in process was maybe 2-3 minutes with excellent service and we were in our room. The elevators at this property are skyscraper elevators. It was the perfect balance between not pulling noticeable g's and being on the sixth floor in about 8 seconds. I like that.

They have a free shuttle to anywhere downtown within 5 miles and we took it to a nice bar and restaurant downtown. When we were done there, we called and they picked us up...couldn't ask for more friendly or efficient service from the driver/valet.

The rooms are large and contemporary-styled. Ours was well laid out and had nice furniture and very comfortable beds. The large flatscreen tv had a breakout panel on the stand that would let you plug nearly anything into it - I have not seen that type of connectivity anywhere before...wow. I was here on pleasure but it would be an exceptional business stay because of that. In other places on business stays, we usually relocate the tv to plug into it for use as a monitor - no need for that at this Hyatt Place.

It was a great visit and the complimentary breakfast was a nice touch on leaving. Superb staff and service. All in all, it is a great hotel with great service for any type of visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Ok only stayed 1 night. Room was ok. I wish there was water or mini bar in room. Coffee maker in room so that was good! No body lotion in bathroom but they did have toothpaste! I would have liked slippers. And I found the alarm clock difficult to set so needed to rely on blackberry.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is one of our favorite places to stay in Des Moines...it's not fancy fancy but it's nice, clean, and the staff has always been more than helpful. They have a handy shuttle service we have used for a wine tasting event and wedding reception transportation. Rooms are clean and fairly large - LOVE that you get a seating area. Breakfast was okay - we had a much better experience at a HYATT in nashville as far as breakfast goes...would stay again.

Only complaint - is the bathroom which is decent size...is so cold in the winter b/c it's all tile. Not a big deal but wish I had some slippers with me :-)

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple