“Good choice”

Hyatt Place Des Moines Downtown
Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Probably the best hotel in Des Moines. Great service, breakfast, facilities. The only reason why I give only 4 stars is a cleaning lady not willing to clean the room. Convenient valley parking with unlimited in-out privileges. For those who has late flights 24-hour reception is great. The hotel has a shuttle service that would drive you wherever you want.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed March 14, 2013

This is a good choice for business travelers who need to be downtown as I did on this trip. The lobby and the décor and fixtures of the room are newer, but you can tell that the structure itself is older. The configuration of my room was somewhat odd. The room was very large and had a high ceiling, but you had the feeling of it being a former office. This is compounded by the relatively poor noise filtering. Although not terrible, I was surprised by how much of the hall/adjacent room noise I could hear. The rooms were clean, the bed very comfortable and the staff friendly. Still, this would not be my first choice for family or leisure travel.

A bonus for late-nighters (my flight was delayed) is the extensive 24 hour menu.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Be cautious of this hotel and their reservations. I made a reservation through Hotels.com 1 year in advance for an event at the Wells Fargo Center in Des Moines. Less than 2 weeks, 12 days to be precise, prior to the event I received a notice from Hotels.com that the Hyatt was cancelling my reservation. It took multiple attempts to finally get a call back from the hotel and I had to go through Hyatt corporate to finally talk to an assistant manager. He told me they overbooked the hotel so they were cancelling some of the reservations, mine included. No explanation was given as to why mine was chosen for cancellation even though I had called two weeks prior and reconfirmed the reservation since I had made it so far in advance. Get your reservation in writing directly from the hotel, do not trust their system.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tandj512
Reviewed March 10, 2013

Perfect location in downtown Des Moine. . The rooms were spacious, comfortable and cozy featuring Hyatt Grand Bed™, complimented with large flat screen tv’s, sectional sofa , wet bar and a well appointed bathroom. In essence a home away from home. The staff is so accomodating catering to your every need to ensure you are comfortable. The shuttle is complimentary and the drivers Eric and Ryan went over an aboard getting you to places, restaurants, and stores as recommended by Tim (general mgr)Brad (front desk)and Dorothy (sales Dir). They made my stay very memorable. An additional perk is the heated swimming pool and the hot breakfast bar which includes freshly prepared breakfast sandwiches , waffles and pancakes. I would definitely come back here again. In my opinion Hyatt Place outshines the swanky hotels downtown. It was awesome!!!!

Room Tip: ask for corner rooms- lets in more light and layout feels more like an apartment.
1  Thank Karen N
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Just wanted to compliment Ryan the shuttle driver who shuttled me to my business appointments and the airport safely and on time......and he was very pleasant as well. Ryan knows Des Moines and all the great restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for the corner (521, 621, 721, etc.).
Reviewed March 5, 2013

All of the staff is very accommodating. Rooms are big, modern, my only complaint was room had recently had carpets cleaned and was a bit musty smelling. Eric the shuttle driver is awesome, he knows all the great spots in Des Moines to go! Should be the concierge :)

Room Tip: I would ensure you ask for a room that is quiet and has not had carpets cleaned recently. That is m...
Reviewed February 21, 2013

My husband and I wanted to get away and decided to get a room dowtown as a mini-getaway for one night (we live 50 minutes away). I got a great deal (1/2 off) on a room through a different third-party site. It was the weekend of the State HIgh School Wrestling Tournament and so the hotel was flooded with kids, which was okay except for they were very loud and everywhere. We were given the handicap room on the 6th floor which was okay with us since it was at the end of the hall away from most of the noise. The room was larger since it was the handicap room and would have accomodated our family of five. The only issues with the room was the bathroom mirror was dirty and the ice bucket was full of water as it was never cleaned out.
The breakfast was nice but when we got there the forks were gone and I ate my breakfast with a spoon since the forks weren't replaced for 30 minutes or so. The breakfast was breakfast sandwiches, oatmeal, yogurt, fruit, cereal, waffles (not fresh) and pastries. We were disappointed that there was no egges or bacon. I tried a breakfast sandwich and couldn't eat a second bite as it was biscuit was hard and the egg and cheese were rubbery. Probably from being under the lights too long.
Great location and connected to the skywalks wich was awesome. Front desk was friendly at check-in and checj-out. Didn't check out the pool as I assumed it was overrun with kids. Check-out time was noon which we took full advantage of.
I would stay again, but not pay their full price.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple