“Great Location”

Ranked #1 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great Location”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Great location. Very nice hotel and breakfast. Staff was really friendly. Beds were almost entirely down (feather) dressing which was bad for me because I'm allergic, cut most would find it comfy. Would stay again if I weren't allergic to the bedding.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Solon, Iowa
Reviewed August 30, 2012

My husband and I were lucky enough to win a free night here. I may be apt to pay a bit more for a Hyatt Place in the future. This is an AMAZING hotel! Everything is clean, fresh and modern. This hotel room had 10 ft ceilings and HUGE windows. We were lucky enough to have a corner room as well, although there wasn't a view. The tiled, walk-in shower was great, the bed was super plush, and the big flat screen and comfy couch made for a relaxing evening in.

Breakfast was incredible as well. For a hotel of its kind, getting anything for free, let alone a hot breakfast, is great. Definitely recommend not only the hotel, but Hyatt Place in general.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

First, the people who work at the hotel are absolutely first-rate. Second, our visit was marred by people smoking in the next room (the hotel is non-smoking); an erratic air conditioning system that made it feel like both of us were having hot flashes; a disingenuous rate system (we were quoted a "per person" rate rather than a rate for the room, so the hotel cost roughly double what I had expected); and a breakfast that was too crowded for us to find a spot to sit the first morning. So -- we left feeling good about the staff and not so good about the overall experience. I should also say that the a/c issue made the room tough for sleeping, which can really have a negative impact on your stay.

If you choose this place -- make sure to ask about smoking (if you care) and also to be clear about the rate.

Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Glenwood, Iowa
Reviewed August 24, 2012

My family and I stayed here because it was close to the Iowa State Fair. It seemed nice from the photos provided. And yes, it was the perfect choice for us. We traveled with 2 small children and the room was very spacious. We had a corner room (rm. 521) with two queen beds, living area, separate dressing area. The set up was nicer than I had anticipated. The hotel provided a free breakfast which had everything from cereal, fruit, egg sandwiches, waffles, etc. We would definitely stay there again. One more thing, there is only valet parking which we utilized on both days of our stay. At $15/day, it was a good service for us.

Room Tip: Get a corner/end room. They have a lot of windows for natural light, and ours seemed larger than wh...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
NW Kansas
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I was quite surprised with the finid of this hotel. I stayed here August 12 - 14, 2012. I must admit I was very frustrated in trying to find the hotel, as Des Moines as many different "6th" streets. After driving around for some time, I finally found the hotel.

I was immediately greeted by a bellman/valet service who brought out a luggage cart for me. I greatly appreciated it. He then explained the parking options (valet for $15 per day, or VERY LIMITED on street Metered parking). I chose the valet option.

I then went inside the hotel, and was greeted by a friendly host at the counter who assisted me with my check in. I did use my hotel points for this stay, and my room was exactly as I had requested. I had a corner handicapped King room on the 4th floor.

The three rooms in the suite were extremely spacious. I was quite surprised to find a dining table in the living room. I do not find this in most Hyatt Place hotels. The room was well lit, with two large picture windows, a desk, a corner sofa layout, a large flat screen tv, and a huge counter with a sink, coffee maker, and microwave.

In the hall, there was a large closet for storing things. Also, outside the bathroom door, was a very spacious sink area.

The bathroom had a very nice glassed in walk-in shower. The water pressure was great, as well as water temperature.

The bedroom had a very comfy King sized bed with plenty of pillows, two night stands, two wall lamps, a phone, clock/radio, another closet, dresser, a large flat screened TV, and two large picture windows with black out curtains. The thermastat for the suite was located in the bedroom, and was easy to understand and use.

The hotel had a wonderful breakfast in the morning that was quite nice. Also, in the hotel lobby, were plenty of seating areas, as well as I nice area to order something quick to eat.

The hotel has a swimming pool/gymnasium equipment, but I did not utelize these during the stay.

Valet service was swift and prompt. Check-out was fast and accurate.

In summary, I was very impressed with this hotel, and would definitely stay here again when in Des Moines.

Room Tip: Take advantage of the valet service. This will keep you from having to find a parking space, and ha...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Midwest
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This is a really nice hotel in Downtown Des Moines. The front desk staff is very accommodating, and the valet staff is super fast!! The hotel room itself is quite spacious. We are a family of 6, and had no problem with space. We requested an additional pillow and some extra blankets as two of our children slept on the sectional, and the staff brought them up right away. We could have probably used more towels, but made due with what we had. I'm not sure if downtown Des Moines itself is going through the economic downturn, but it did seem to us that several places nearby had moved/gone out of business. If you walk about 5-10 minutes down to Court and 3rd or so, you will find some restaurants--we went to Spaghetti Works two nights in a row. And there is an absolutely terrific Farmer's Market downtown on Saturday mornings that, if you can make time for, go to it. It is absolutely outstanding....don't eat breakfast before you go, but wait until you get to the Farmer's Market. They have absolutely pretty much everything there! Getting back to reviewing the hotel, I didn't notice any noise from any other rooms, and I was worried that our children were too loud. Am thinking that there is a fire or police station nearby possibly, as we heard sirens in the wee hours one morning. The beds were also very comfortable--you just sink right into them. They also have a really nice breakfast in the mornings--fresh fruit, cereal, bagels, toast, breakfast sandwiches, juices, yogurt, pancakes, oatmeal, donuts, muffins (I'm sure I left out something) which is included in the price of the room. They also made sure it was stocked if items were running low. The only thing I would mention is that I noticed noone was wiping down tables or the breakfast bar, and I noticed crumbs on tabletops and the breakfast bar. We had a really nice time in Des Moines. We also took in the Iowa State Fair and Adventureland.

Room Tip: For a larger family, ask for a room with the sectional. I believe it pulls out so you can sleep on...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Our usual Des Moines hotel was full so I decided to book at the Hyatt since it was about the same price. We're used to the typical, large entry driveways in front of hotels. The Hyatt's outside entrance was basically just curbside, small and modest, so it surprised us at first. But then a valet quickly met us by our car. We're also used to parking our own car, but in this case it was easier to pay for valet services. Even though it was $15, it was very easy, convenient and relaxing to have Hyatt take care of our parking needs. And they were very fast in getting our car when we needed it. Our room was very nice! The bed was comfortable and clean. Loved the shower. The Hyatt had the best "continental breakfast" we've ever experienced. I think we found a new favorite place to stay in Des Moines.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business