“Delicious”

Fat Tuesday
Ranked #53 of 581 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: Cajun & Creole
Reviewed June 1, 2012

This place is a must stop! I get takeout quit often also dine in here and there, and every time the food is great. The jambalaya is very good.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

Fat Tuesday advertises itself as Des Moines metro's only authentic, Cajun/New Orleans, family owned restaurant. Steve the owner was born and raised in the New Orleans area of Louisana and knows Cajun. So if you want the Real Deal; head for Des Moines' south side. FT really should be listed under Cajun/Creole on TripAdvisor instead of under Seafood restaurants.

My favorite is the spicy fried catfish filet smothered in crawfish etouffee. Add a side of red beans & rice and its Cajun cuisine heaven. The gumbo is another high on my list. They have l lots of sides to choose from. I usually get the sweet potato fries and Cajun collard greens. They have regular cornbread but the jalapeno has nice heat to it. Occasionally they have dirty rice on the menu. Steve also has $1 samplers of gumbo, jambalaya, crawfish etouffee and red beans&rice. Plus a large assortment of bottled hot/Cajun/Jamaican/hellfire, etc sauces to choose from to really liven up your meal.

FT usually carries a variety of speciality beers like Dixie, Jazz, Blackened Voodoo, Dead Guy, Big Easy as well as several domestic (non-southern) beers. Plus a variety of soda pop and teas (both sweet & Northern). They also do catering. Check out their website for real good info about their food, drinks, special events, catering options, photos of the crew & customers, etc.

1  Thank OTR_Again_IM
Reviewed May 14, 2012

My husband and I lived in MS for 5 years, we often made trips to New Orleans. Having moved to IA we missed the great cooking of the South. I stumbled across this restaurant by searching the web. The food is tasty and made from family recipes with quite a wide menu. Po'boys, red beans & rice, blackened chicken. The atmosphere is fun and very friendly staff.

2  Thank GIReuter
Reviewed April 29, 2012

My husband came home on yesterday and said he had heard some rave reviews about Fat Tuesday's at work and he wanted us to go and try it. So that evening we went, and to my surprise the food was so tasty you wanted to give the cook a big sloppy kiss, We had a sample of the gumbo,the frogs leg appetizer, the catfish, and the cajun greens. I consider myself to be a very good cook but the cajun greens are amazing and I have some competition. We will be returning and trying out some other items on the menu. The food so far is 5 star so much so that I took my daughter some home and order me a side of greens for later. The portions that they give are filling and the waitresses are attentive and explain the menu very clearly. I would recommend that you go!!! We went on Saturday where they have live blues while you eat for that down home southern feel. We really enjoyed ourselves and don't be surprised when you go that we may be there as well.

Reviewed March 23, 2012

My wife and I love this place. The catfish is amazing, really all the food is amazing. The atmosphere is fun, and the staff is friendly. When we have family in town we always take then to Fat Tuesday. Do yourself a favor and eat some great Cajun food.