“State Capital worth a Tour!”
Review of Capitol Building

Capitol Building
Ranked #1 of 66 things to do in Des Moines
Port Orange, Florida
62 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 108 helpful votes
“State Capital worth a Tour!”
Reviewed July 4, 2014

The Iowa State Capital is a terrific stop if you're in Des Moines. We have now been to 39 of our Nation's state capitals, and this one was among the best. Interesting architecture and many displays inside (large model of the USS Iowa) and memorial sites outside all around the state house. Recommend highly!

Visited July 2014

Iowa
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Take the time to take a 1 hr tour”
Reviewed July 3, 2014

The capitol building is simply stunning. I've had a number of international guests and they were very impressed by the architecture and beauty of the decorative painting, sculpture, and mosaics. I recommend that you take the time to take an actual tour, which will include such gems as the old supreme court chambers with carved bench, the governor's office, both houses of the legislature, the law library, and a trip up the dome. You will also get a glimpse into the state history with tales about the prior capitol buldings, the restoration after the fire, the battleship Iowa, the painting depicting the return of soldiers from WWI and the doll collection of first lady's gowns. I hope you enjoy this city highlight as much as I did.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank GailofIowa
Iowa
235 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 508 helpful votes
“The one "must see" attraction in Des Moines”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

We stopped at the capitol building one morning during a recent trip to Des Moines. We arrived on a Saturday, shortly after the building opened for the day for visitors.

The parking lots were almost empty, so parking was no problem. We entered at the basement level; however I stupidly didn't realize that it was the basement: I thought it was the first floor! I was looking around, wondering what the big deal was, when I finally noticed the map on the wall and realized we hadn't even seen the good sections yet:-).

We then walked up the stairs to the first floor, and after looking around there up to the second. We did not do a guided tour. Highlights were the dome, and the peek through the door window into the law library. Unfortunately, the door to the library was locked so we couldn't go inside. That was really disappointing to me, since I love libraries (work in one, in fact;-).

We did have to go through security to get into the building, but it didn't take long.

Visited April 2014
1 Thank kren250
Volcano, California
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 154 helpful votes
“A must-see in Des Moines”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

This is the 7th state capitol we've seen, and by far the most magnificent. Five domes, one covered with gold foil, and massive columns highlight the outside. Inside is all marble and mosaics and paintings and fine paneling, all in massive sizes. Make sure to take the guided tour so you can see all of the otherwise locked rooms.

Visited June 2014
2 Thank rwwaugh
Denver, Colorado
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Awesome Tour!”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

This is a GORGEOUS building and I highly recommend taking the free, and short, tour! I was shocked at the artistic details in this magnificent building.

Visited April 2014