“Excellent tour!”

Ranked #1 of 66 things to do in Des Moines
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Excellent tour!”
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

Three of us had a wonderful tour by an informative tour guide. The tour lasts approx. 90 minutes, and even though I'm not from Iowa, I thoroughly enjoyed seeing this beautiful Capitol building while learning some Iowa history. Best of all, this tour is free. I really liked this tour, and I recommend this to anyone.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Linda S

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Beautiful Building”
Reviewed February 26, 2014

We have visited many Capitol buildings over the years, but none as ornately beautiful as the Iowa State Capitol in Des Moines. A young woman at the nearby history museum suggested we take one of the tours. There were many school groups touring, so we chose the self-guided tour, which excludes the top floor. We were able to hear bits of the guided tours while touring, which was a bonus. The building contains beautifully carved woodwork, tiles, photograph exhibits, and murals. We engaged in a brief chat with a retired agronomist, that volunteered there and a politician who mistook us for constituents. Walk around the building exterior/grounds if you have the time.

Visited October 2013
Missouri
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“You can't beat free”
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

The state Capitol is very beautiful. It is my favorite attraction price which is free. I loved how they explained how they keep the capitol dome gold.

Visited October 2013
Missouri
42 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“wow”
Reviewed January 30, 2014

I don't go to many capitol building but this was is just amazing. The history was beyond what I can find works for.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank Sharon C
Muscatine, Iowa
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great Look at Government in Des Moines”
Reviewed January 26, 2014

This capitol building made for a great afternoon while visiting Des Moines. My younger sister, who is usually not into history, actually enjoyed this building. It is so beautiful and everyone enjoyed looking at the structures inside and reading about the history. Lovely visit and nice building.

Visited May 2013