“Most Gorgeous Capitol” 5 of 5 bubbles

89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“Most Gorgeous Capitol”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

Passing through Des Moines I decided to check out the capitol on a whim. Parking was free and there is a great view overlooking the skyline. And the building itself is incredibly beautiful, it reminded me of a Russian cathedral with all its domes and the colors. There are regularly scheduled guided tours (free) but as this wasn't a planned stop, I picked up a brochure and toured the building on my own. It is marvelous inside as well - and make sure you check out both the dome and the library. It is just such an impressive and ornate building. After going through the building I talked with one of the guides at the gift shop, and she told me that the Iowa State Capitol was voted the second most beautiful state capitol in the nation - after Pennsylvania. So now I'm trying to go to Harrisburg PA, because I can't even imagine what would be more impressive than this!

1 Thank Chesatamette

Mustang, Oklahoma
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply Beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 30, 2013

Great tour of the history of the Iowa Capitol Building. Highly recommend taking a guided tour instead of a self guided tour. You get additional access to other parts of the building that you will not get on a self guided tour.

Jefferson, South Dakota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great way to spend the day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Our tour through the capitol was very informative and exciting! Our tour guide on Saturday, June 22nd was Nancy and she knows her stuff! I am deathly scared of heights, so I wasn't able to go up to the top of the dome, but she had everyone look down and wave at me! She made me feel like I was up there!! :) We will definately be back the next time we are in Des Moines because of Nancy and her great customer service skills!! Thanks Nancy!

Green Bay, WI
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Touring the Capitol was free and amazing! The statues outside were just as impressive as the building itself. Worth a visit!

Merced, California, United States
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 43 helpful votes
“Worth a walk-about”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

Very friendly people. More open than most state capitols. Spectacular architecture. Pick up the self guided tour in the basement. Ask them for recommendations for lunch nearby.

Visited May 2013