“Best sushi in the midwest”
Review of Miyabi 9

Miyabi 9
Ranked #64 of 574 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Reservations, Takeout
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“Best sushi in the midwest”
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I have been there twice and each time it was great. The fish was so fresh, also try the seaweed salad, it's very good! If you like rolls try the captain crunch. One of my favorite restaurants, and I make a point of stopping here when I'm in town.

The prices are a little high compared to other Sushi restaurants but it's worth it. The place is small so you may have to wait for a table, but I have called ahead and made reservations and never had a problem.

A must stop in the Des Moines area!

• Visited May 2012

Fargo, North Dakota
“Great sushi in Des Moines”
Reviewed July 8, 2012

Miyabi 9 is a small sushi restaurant in the east village area of Des Moines. We stopped in during a visit to the city, and were not disappointed. The restaurant is small -- we arrived at around 6 pm on a Saturday; by 6:30, the tables were full. We tried the gyoza and five different maki. The gyoza were flavorful and well cooked. We tried a garlic roll (okay, but a bit sweet and sticky), a standard negihana roll, and three house specials. I'd have to say the house specials were the best. The Cascobay was especially interesting -- tempura fried spicy tuna. Overall, a good choice for dinner near the Capitol.

• Visited July 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
“Best Sushi in Des Moines”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

Sushi Mike is a blast. The fish is fresh and delicious. I have always enjoyed the atmosphere and dont get there nearly enough! I have heard people say it is a little more expensive than other sushi houses in Des Moines but the difference is the quality and it is definitely worth it.

Visited December 2011
“No frills, good food”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

The restaurant is small and spartan, but the food is good. They don't mess around with their sushi. My friend and I ate at the bar and watched the preparation. It appeared the chefs enjoyed what they did. It was just super straightforward. We ordered nigiri and rolls and were pleased with both. The fish was fresh and the rice had a nice texture. The rolls were overly dressed with sauces either. It was a Thursday evening, so it wasn't very crowded, but since the restaurant is small I could see it getting crowded quickly. The crowd was mixed- a table that was obviously some sort of business dinner, two older couples, and young people. One thing I noticed was there wasn't the usual pretentiousness of some sushi places. I would definitely go back, but probably stay within the week than fight the weekend crowds.

• Visited May 2012
“Great Sushi”
Reviewed March 8, 2012

Mike does a great job. I eat here often and it is always fresh.