“3.5 Stars, Actually”

Ranked #4 of 573 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: Pizza
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Description: We are home to the original Crab Rangoon pizza. We offer Asian-inspired and traditional pizzas, sandwiches, salads and desserts. Lunch time slices are served Monday through Friday from 11am-2pm and late night slices are from 10pm until close. Our full menu is served daily from 11am until midnight.
Excelsior, Minnesota
“3.5 Stars, Actually”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

My son and I have been wanting to eat here since he started college in Des Moines over a year ago. We got here before 6 pm on a Saturday night thinking we'd beat the crowd. No such luck - we were told it was a 75 minute wait. We put our name in and walked around downtown for about an hour and then checked back in. At that point, another customer told us you can be seated at the bar without having your name on the list so we did that and were seated within a few minutes. It would have been nice for the host to tell us before we waited for over an hour! We split the Italian Stallion salad and crab rangoon pizza. Both were good; although the wontons on the pizza overpowered any crab flavor. I think it's a bit overrated.

• Visited November 2013

Midlothian, Texas
“Crab Rangoon Pizza and same name appetizer...nothing like it!”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Walking inside Fong's...you wonder if there is enough space to seat over 20 people, but then you realize there is a back dining area...thank goodness. During the weekday lunch hour, a glass case of stacked pizzas spin around on a carousel with 4 different special pizzas of the day to be purchased by the slice, no waiting! We were happy to "dine-in" for lunch. The first attempt to eat at Fong's was on a busy Friday night...with a 45 minute wait, but after a long plane flight to Des Moines.... we disappointedly went on to another restaurant and vowed to come back! We were not disappointed! Started out with crab rangoon appetizer....had I known these were going to be so delicious I would have ordered a basket for myself...instead I had to share! Then the pizza slices arrived...just as unique and fabulous was the crab rangoon pizza. I cannot wait to get back to visit downtown Des Moines ... the first place I will eat is going to be at Fong's....no matter how long I have to wait for a table!!! I wish the owners would bring their fabulous Fong's to Dallas, TX...it would be a HIT for sure! Please consider franchising...I'd buy in!

• Visited October 2013
Des Moines, Iowa
“Great place to eat”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

We went there recently for a meal before a concert, it was busy but we did get a table, we ordered eggroll appetizers and a crab rangoon pizza, The appetizers are better than any other we have had at most restaurants, the pizza was really good and would have it again. Our server was friendly, efficient, helpful and we had a nice time and a great meal. When we left the place was standing room only. It was early for a meal but as I mentioned, the place was crowded and stayed that way which tells me it is good and a great location.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank DeanaC985
San Leandro, California
“great little funky restaurant”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I had a pizza and a tiki cocktail at this odd, but quite charming little place. The vegetarian pizza was quite good and the cocktail hit the spot. Service was great. If you are looking for a unique dining experience, this is your place.

Visited October 2013
mia
“Came in for a Slice, got a Shot and left with a Happy Ending!!!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stopped in for a late night slice and a Fighter Helmet shot (don't ask why - just do it...) and walked away with several slices of Heaven!!! Specialty pizzas abound but I recommend the JP Combo with its full Garlic taste! And don't forget the delicious desserts on your way out!

• Visited July 2013