“Des Moines has come a very long way.”
Review of Proof

Proof
Ranked #38 of 587 Restaurants in Des Moines
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Polished casual atmosphere with an emphasis on making a meal the epitome of the evening. Longer service style, staff is trained to suggest accompanying items to make the most of a guest's meal.
Reviewed January 30, 2014

Atmosphere, service, and food were all excellent. It was great fun to go with another couple and enjoy the cheese board, charcuterie, olives, bread, crackers and drinks.(Their dirty Bombay martini was perfect, by the way.) A little pricey but on either coast or most other large cities, we could have paid at least twice the price. Des Moines has grown into such a great place over the last 15 years. But....shhhhhhh....don't tell anyone else.

Reviewed January 26, 2014

We had dinner at Proof last Saturday night and it was one of the best meals I’ve had in Des Moines. We did not have reservations, but were seated right away. The atmosphere is great, with lots of windows overlooking the street, and very comfortable. The service was excellent - friendly, knowledgeable, and attentive but not intrusive.

The food is where Proof really shines. The roasted marrow appetizer, served with a parsley and caper salad, red onion jam, and crusty bread was rich and creamy and oh so good. The beet salad, with housemade passion fruit marshmallows and blood oranges was creative and also yummy. For my entree I had the scallops and pork belly. The scallops were expertly cooked, as was the pork belly. They were served in a creamy broth that was the perfect compliment to the scallops and pork. My date had the best entree of the evening though, the sumac and black pepper pork. He was nice enough to give me several bites of this and it was the best pork dish I have ever had anywhere. It was moist and absolutely delicious. We ended the evening with the pumpkin cake which was also very good. I thought the portion sizes were just right and the prices very reasonable for this type of restaurant. You’re not going to get chain-size portions here. Proof emphasizes quality, creativity, and flavor in their food and the results are fantastic.

I highly recommend Proof and we will definitely be returning in the near future.

1  Thank dillyma
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We came to Proof for my wife's birthday. When I made the reservation, the woman on the other end of the line was incredibly friendly. Take that and all the good things I've heard about Proof, I was really excited.

The atmosphere was simple and elegant, and the staff were all really friendly. I also really liked the slower pace of the service. This is not the place to go for a quick bite. This is a time to enjoy the atmosphere.

The good was delicious, and meticulously prepared. The trouble I had was with the value. I fully understand that this is not a bulk food chain. This is not about cramming as much food as possible into your belly, but got $28 in Des Moines, I would expect more than two scallops and a sliver of pork belly. The desert was something called citrus joy, and it was a tiny dollop of grapefruit sorbet. My wife and I both wondered if that was it.

We have eaten in very nice restaurants in the past, but we spent over $100 for the two of us, and I had to stop for a burger afterwards. If I was 300 pounds and was gluttonous, I could understand that I would still be hungry, by I'm a pretty small guy, so leaving feeling the way I did, I was pretty disappointed.

Oh, we each had a drink, and they were both fantastic.

1  Thank eightfifteen
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I ordered the 3-course prix fixe dinner and each course was outstanding. Like the other commenters, I loved the beet salad, sumac/pepper pork (so tender and flavorful) and had madeleines (hot from the oven) with a mild chocolate sauce for dessert. Warning: if you're looking for large quantities of food on the plate, this is not the place for you. Typically I take home part of my entree but was able to finish it all here. I was tempted to lick the plate, but I was full.

The service was outstanding. I couldn't decide on a wine so the owner brought samples of three to choose from. I had to leave by a certain time for a play and the meal was perfectly paced for my time frame. A great meal.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

This is a very fun place with an eclectic menu that is always changing. Try the vegetable paella. It was very good with an excellent assortment of vegetables. The seared scallops and sumac/black pepper pork are also very good. A nice wine list and good service makes Proof a great place for couples or to meet up with friends.

1  Thank Tony1223