“Hotel was fine, snark unnecessary”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport
Ranked #11 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed April 12, 2014

The hotel was clean and comfortable. I had no complaints with the room and the location was convenient to the airport and traveling further south. I also enjoyed the breakfast which included scrambled eggs, sausage patties, waffles, fresh fruit, yogurt, bagels, rolls, and more.
My only issue came when we confirmed our request to leave our car parked and the hotel for a few days. We were told it was a $20 charge, which was fine, and I paid it. I then asked if they needed my license number or if there was something I needed to put in the vehicle. Nope. In other words, I could have just left my car there and saved myself the $20? Yep. To make it worse, the gentleman at the desk started laughing as we walked down the hallway.
The same staff member also said "What a couple of scammers," after we left breakfast in the morning. Not sure what that meant. Maybe because my brother grabbed a banana for the road? I hope they don't revoke my silver elite status for snagging that banana. I didn't realize the bananas needed to be consumed in the dining area.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank aspalm
There are newer reviews for Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport

Reviewed April 10, 2014 via mobile

Newer Fairfield with their new design . Lobby, breakfast area very nice comfortable. Breakfast was very good with large variety. Rooms are nice with large bathrooms granite or stone counters . Comfortable bed and good work area.
Good location near airport and next to a decent restaurant .

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Warm welcome when we arrived. Check in took less than a minute.
Nice room with great beds.
Good selection at free breakfast with very attentive staff.
Next door to Johnny's Italian Steakhouse. Food was excellent, along with the two free drink tickets provided when you check into hotel.
Would certainly visit both again.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 18, 2014

This is probably the best Fairfield Inn that we have stayed in. Very friendly staff, clean hotel, excellent pool, hot tub and exercise room. The breakfast area was super...big variety of food, very clean, and large enough for all the guests. It was right next to the airport...which was much bigger than I thought it would be...but we did not hear any noise. We were just passing through DesMoines so we did not need to be that close to the airport, but I would not hesitate to stay here again when we are coming this way.

We needed to drive to a restaurant. There is a pricey steak house next door if you do not have a car.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2014

Nice hotel. Even better than the typical Fairfield, Clean, modern and nice.
The highlight was Gloria at the breakfast buffet. It was like your mom making breakfast for you, but with more choices and no nagging. She is a real gem!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank the_muser
Reviewed February 3, 2014

This is nice hotel little pricey. Staff is friendly and helpful. Most impressive thing was the lady who ran the breakfast area, tables were cleaned promptly, food area was kept up and kept very clean.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank RICK94
Reviewed January 26, 2014

The hotel is near the end of the Des Moines’ airport runway, so really convenient for late night or early morning flights. There is a joint shuttle, with the Double tree hotel next door, so easy to get to and from the airport, just a short ‘phone call away.

There is no restaurant at this hotel, but breakfast is served in the lobby area. Good selection of cold options:- juice, cereals, fruit, yogurt, muffins etc and some hot ones too :- freshly made waffles, toast, scrambled eggs and American sausage, tea and coffee. Johnny's Restaurant, famous in Des Moines, is just next door so you can get food in the evening without the need for a cab. There is also free coffee on “tap” all day if you want it and there is small shop selling sweets and travel necessities next to reception if you need them.

Bed was comfortable and room bathroom and hotel general areas were clean. The staff were friendly and made you feel at home. One had worked at the Hilton, where I had stayed previously, so I was given a friendly personal welcome when I came in on the second night!
Although I did not use it, there is a small swimming pool and "gym" if you want to “work” out before bed.

So if you want a comfortable hotel with easy access to the airport or one on the south east side of town just off Rt 5, this is a good option. Although it's not a five star hotel, the welcome was!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business