“Hotel was beautiful but”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport
Ranked #10 of 48 Hotels in Des Moines
Reviewed October 9, 2011

the website was not. The Fairfield Inn and Suites is a fairly new (3-years old) hotel that is very attractive and modern looking. Our room didn’t have the mini-fridge and microwave I thought we had reserved so we asked about it at the desk. We were immediately given a suite that did have these amenities and our price was reduced by $10 even though the suite costs about $40 more. You can imagine how happy we were with that quickly provided solution, especially considering how beautiful the suites are. I then went online to try and determine the mistake I must have made in thinking the regular king bed rooms had microwaves and mini-fridges (without those amenities we would have found another hotel). The web site turns out to be obtuse and a bit deceptive in my opinion. In listing the rooms available it says “12 king suites with…mini-refrigerator and microwave…” Since I always order a king bed, I never gave it another thought. Especially since the web site doesn’t offer “king suites” anyway! The three options are “Guest room, 1 king”,” Guest room 2 queen”, and “ Studio, 1 King”. Suites aren’t even mentioned, although the desk clerk said he thought perhaps "studio" actually meant “suite”. But when I looked at the amenities under all three of these available categories, NONE of them list the mini-fridge and microwave so I therefore don't agree that a "studio" is a "suite". A further statement on the web site that I didn’t like was “not all features and services are available in all rooms”. So I ask you, with a statement like that, how is a person to know what they are getting when they make a reservation? It appears that if you don't get what you expect, that is supposedly a CYA statement to get the hotel off the hook. When I went to hook my laptop to the internet, I looked in the guest services book for instructions. It says that each room with internet has instructions in that room. Except there weren’t any to be found. Another trip to the front desk and a hotel worker who happened to be there finally agreed to come to my room and show me the wired connection (which I prefer to wireless), and the instructions. He found neither, as I expected. He then explained that my desk was supposed to have a wireless phone on it but for the time being it has a wired phone. So they had to use the internet connection as a telephone connection, hence no wired connection for a computer. The lack of instruction he couldn’t explain. As it turned out, there's no connecting password for the wireless and the speed was just fine. Now, let’s get one thing clear—I absolutely loved the room, it was beautiful; I loved the free upgrade to a suite and the $10 reduction—that is super service. The guy working the front desk was always courteous and friendly and I enjoyed talking to him. But I can’t help mentioning these other things because they ARE important, especially in indicating the quality of the hotel chain. As good as this specific hotel and our specific front desk were, I’m not sure I’ll ever stay at a Fairfield again—I don’t like being “deceived” by the large print that promises the world and the details that take it away and I don’t have the time nor desire to read all the fine print on a web site just to get such a basic amenity as a fridge and microwave—I want to make a reservation at a nice hotel and move on. The high ratings from TripAdvisor visitors drew me to this hotel. But I think I'd rather use a hotel chain that is 100% clear as to what is being offered to me. I regret having to give such a low score to such a nice hotel but in complaining to the Marriott bigwigs who write misleading websites, I have to do something.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ArtColorado

Reviewed October 3, 2011

This was a great stay. We were there 2 nights. The hotel staff was very nice from check-in to check-out. The room was very clean and the bed very comfortable. The bathroom was clean and spacious. The breakfast had a variety of foods to choose from which were very good and fresh. We were on the first floor and it was very quiet. We would visit again and recommend this place to others.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank rnonvaca35651
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Was not pleased with the staff, and the problems at check-in, but they resolved the issues and eventually I checked out of the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stay at this hotel quite often visiting our son at Drake University and it never disappoints! The rooms are spacious and it is always clean. Breakfast is much better than the usual hotel offering - hot and cold foods. The staff is also great - helpful and nice. We stay here on every visit - highly recommend. Almost forgot - rates are fantastic also.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank rnrover81
Reviewed September 8, 2011

There isn't anything we didn't like. The room was clean. Everyone was courteous and friendly. Ben baked more cookies for us the evening of our arrival. Gloria handled the breakfast buffet most effeciently. Check in and out was handled by Jamie quickly and without incident.

2  Thank kniden
Reviewed August 23, 2011

The hotel was great. It was extremely clean, staff was friendly and helpful. We were staying over and flying out of the DM Airport. The hotel let us leave our cars in the hotel parking lot. They transported us to the airport and upon our arrival back in DM we called the hotel and they picked us up. They were very prompt and courteous. It was a good experience. I would recommend it to anyone.

2  Thank MS03t1
Reviewed August 22, 2011

This is one of those hotels where you simply walk in the front door and KNOW you've picked a winner. A three-year old hotel, the Fairfield Inn is at a much higher standard than would be expected for Marriott's lower end hotel. Everything about this hotel is impeccable. And you can clearly see that the management is top notch.

On a 14 day road trip, this ended up being our second cheapest hotel and, by far, the best. Friendly, quick checkin. Room a few steps away. Great parking with BRIGHT lighting for security. Immaculate room. Great snacks in the front desk market. And, to top it off, a hot breakfast featuring waffles, sausage/egg bagels plus biscuits and gravy.

We would go out of our way to stay here again.

2  Thank TumbleweedandCactus