the website was not. The Fairfield Inn and Suites is a fairly new (3-years old) hotel that is very attractive and modern looking. Our room didn’t have the mini-fridge and microwave I thought we had reserved so we asked about it at the desk. We were immediately given a suite that did have these amenities and our price was reduced by $10 even though the suite costs about $40 more. You can imagine how happy we were with that quickly provided solution, especially considering how beautiful the suites are. I then went online to try and determine the mistake I must have made in thinking the regular king bed rooms had microwaves and mini-fridges (without those amenities we would have found another hotel). The web site turns out to be obtuse and a bit deceptive in my opinion. In listing the rooms available it says “12 king suites with…mini-refrigerator and microwave…” Since I always order a king bed, I never gave it another thought. Especially since the web site doesn’t offer “king suites” anyway! The three options are “Guest room, 1 king”,” Guest room 2 queen”, and “ Studio, 1 King”. Suites aren’t even mentioned, although the desk clerk said he thought perhaps "studio" actually meant “suite”. But when I looked at the amenities under all three of these available categories, NONE of them list the mini-fridge and microwave so I therefore don't agree that a "studio" is a "suite". A further statement on the web site that I didn’t like was “not all features and services are available in all rooms”. So I ask you, with a statement like that, how is a person to know what they are getting when they make a reservation? It appears that if you don't get what you expect, that is supposedly a CYA statement to get the hotel off the hook. When I went to hook my laptop to the internet, I looked in the guest services book for instructions. It says that each room with internet has instructions in that room. Except there weren’t any to be found. Another trip to the front desk and a hotel worker who happened to be there finally agreed to come to my room and show me the wired connection (which I prefer to wireless), and the instructions. He found neither, as I expected. He then explained that my desk was supposed to have a wireless phone on it but for the time being it has a wired phone. So they had to use the internet connection as a telephone connection, hence no wired connection for a computer. The lack of instruction he couldn’t explain. As it turned out, there's no connecting password for the wireless and the speed was just fine. Now, let’s get one thing clear—I absolutely loved the room, it was beautiful; I loved the free upgrade to a suite and the $10 reduction—that is super service. The guy working the front desk was always courteous and friendly and I enjoyed talking to him. But I can’t help mentioning these other things because they ARE important, especially in indicating the quality of the hotel chain. As good as this specific hotel and our specific front desk were, I’m not sure I’ll ever stay at a Fairfield again—I don’t like being “deceived” by the large print that promises the world and the details that take it away and I don’t have the time nor desire to read all the fine print on a web site just to get such a basic amenity as a fridge and microwave—I want to make a reservation at a nice hotel and move on. The high ratings from TripAdvisor visitors drew me to this hotel. But I think I'd rather use a hotel chain that is 100% clear as to what is being offered to me. I regret having to give such a low score to such a nice hotel but in complaining to the Marriott bigwigs who write misleading websites, I have to do something.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Fairfield Inn and Suites hotel of Des Moines, Iowa. Our distinctive hotel is conveniently located just south of the Des Moines Airport on Fleur Drive. Within half a mile of the Des Moines airport and convenient to all of Des Moines's major attractions, our recognized hotel is ideally located for business and leisure travelers alike. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Orbitz and Hotwire so you can book your Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport Hotel Des Moines
- Fairfield Inn And Suites Des Moines Airport
- Fairfield Inn Des Moines
- Fairfield Inn & Suites Des Moines Airport Iowa