“Old English history in Des Moines”
Review of Salisbury House

Salisbury House
Ranked #14 of 65 things to do in Des Moines
More attraction details
Owner description: The King's House in Salisbury, England, was the inspiration for this Tudor mansion.
Des Moines, Iowa
144 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“Old English history in Des Moines”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

This house was brought over to DM piece by piece and actually was home for one family. It is now a wonderful place that is available for all to visit. Many special events are held here. A visit to DM is not complete without seeing Salisbury House.

Visited April 2011
1 Thank auvoir

Santa Fe, New Mexico
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“An olde English manor in the midwest”
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We grew up in Des Moines but had missed this treasure right under our noses. What a fabulous treasure Des Moines has. Salisbury House was built by a cosmetics entrepreneur to be a replica of an English manor. The house is astonishing and the stories the staff and docents tell about the construction and the family are worth hearing.

Visited December 2011
2 Thank TwoOldFools
Des Moines, Iowa
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Cool castle”
Reviewed December 26, 2011

The house is well maintained and the tour's are informative. Check out the painting of the boy in the foyer...his eyes appear to follow you where ever you go. There is many antiquies thoughout this historic castle. The grounds are beatiful too. The first ime i was her was on a high school trip and have been back a couple of times as an adult.

West Des Moines, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hadn't visited since class trip in grade school, so glad I checked it out again!”
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Sadly, my only recollections of the Salisbury House, were from a middle school class trip. If that was the last time you went, you need to see it again. At that age I could not appreciate what I had seen. We just recently went on one of the weekday guided tours. It was my husband, myself, and my sister-in law (she was visiting from New York). We had been trying to think of something new to do while she was here. We had seen a piece on the local news about the library at the Salisbury House, and decided this might be an interesting local tour to check out as adults Wow! So glad we did. Our tour guide was fantastic. Kept it interesting, and it was obvious he had a love for the house, and was very knowledgeable. My sister-in-law now wants to come back for for the Nooks and Crannies tour. There is still so much more to discover in this treasure. This home is so full of history. It has preserved the true story of one man's dream. I felt like we relived the amazing times in Calr Weeks life, not only the building of his empire but also the difficult times he lived through. Fascinating to think these collections of furniture, art, and rare books were never passed on to his family, instead left in the house, for all of us to experience and relive his past.

Visited December 2011
1 Thank LifeOnGrand2285
Atlanta, Georgia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Very interesting Des Moines attraction”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Looking for something to do for a couple of hours, we found the Salisbury House listed in a local attractions magazine. Called to find out how much admission was and when we heard it was only $5/person, we decided we would check it out. This is the home of a Des Moines resident who started a succesful make-up business. It is interesting because he modeled it after a home he had seen in Salisbury, England. He also had many architechtural elements brought in from England and incorporated into the house. The staff of the Salisbury House could not have been more friendly and informative. My mom and I did the self-guided tour. We were able to read about each of the rooms in guide they let us borrow. We were probably there for an hour or two. The self-guided tour did not include access to the basement or the 3rd floor. The tour that provides access to these areas is given once a day. I would highly recommend going when you can access these other areas. Although what we saw was interesting, I would have liked to have seen the whole house. I don't think my children, ages 10, 8, and 3 would have had much interest (they were with family). But my mother and I were glad to see a little piece of Des Moines history and it was the perfect attraction for the two-hour window we had.

Visited July 2011