“Nicely renovated”
Review of Super 8 Decorah

Super 8 Decorah
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Decorah
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I like the way the rooms have been renovated - a step up for Super 8. Bed was comfy, lots of soft pillows, nicer furniture and a flat screen tv. I don't expect much from this hotel chain, so I was ok with the broken lock on the outside security door and the greeting while checking in with a screaming couple behind the front office (?).

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room just in case
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed July 24, 2012

This Super 8 is pretty much what one should expect from a chain motel. There is nothing either overwhelmingly great or overwhelmingly bad about it. Each time I've stayed at this location, I've had a nice, clean room in which everything works fine. Often there seems to be some minor issue on the fringes of things like an leaking or malfunctioning ice machine, for example. Nothing big but it reminds you that you're in a Super 8 after all.

The free breakfast is quite good with a waffle maker, hard boiled eggs, cereal (hot and cold), juices and bread items too. It's a good meal and saves one money as well. The location is fine. It's convenient to everything and everywhere in Decorah and the surrounding area. If you're a bicyclist, the motel is very near the wonderful 12 mile bike/walking path that runs around town.

Room Tip: There's no pool or fitness center.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Excellent quality for the money. Rooms are newly remodeled. It was very clean. The reception desk was extremely helpful. This is the second time we have stayed here. We will stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Slept here for 1 night. Got a nice newly renoveted room:) Everything was clean and fresh. Nice staff that worked there:)
If you're looking for a place to stay for 1 night close to Decorah - I do recomend this motel!

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Our son was considering attending Luther so the three of us went up for an overnight visit in Decorah April of 2012. He stayed at the college, we pre-booked a room at this hotel. My first impression of the front desk and breakfast area was that they were a bit worn and seedy, but the check-in staff was polite and friendly. I noticed that there was painting and carpet replacement going on in the hallways and in rooms as we walked to our room. Judging from the other comments posted, we must not have been fortunate enough to have been placed in a renovated room. It was a single queen unit on the second floor. The carpet had that "sticky" feeling when its dingy and old, so I wore my socks the entire time. I always check the mattress, and it was clean but worn at the corners. Sheets and pillows were clean and there was an acceptable pad that covered the mattress, which was firm enough. Blanket and bedspread had some cigarette holes, not noticeable at first. There was a gap between the head of the mattress and the top of the bed, so I could see right under the head of the bed. The cleaning staff had obviously NOT vacuumed under the bed or around the edge of the room for a LONG while. There were BIG dust bunnies, a few dirty tissues, toothpicks, candy wrappers directly under the head of the bed. If we weren't so tired, I would have asked for a vacuum. The furniture was mismatched and worn, that doesn't bother me but basic cleanliness does. I was ready to be disappointed with the bathroom, but bathroom was clean and the towels were surprisingly nice! Slept well, doors close quietly and we were not bothered by road noise. We did not use the heat nor the AC, just ran the fan, and it was not obtrusive to us. We enjoyed the morning breakfast - fresh fruit, yogurt, waffles, hard boiled eggs, muffins, bagels, toast, milk, real OJ, cereal, good coffee. Only saw 2 staff people the whole time we were there, once when we checked in, and once as we were eating breakfast and a cleaning staffer walked through with sheets and a friendly good morning. I do NOT know if we would stay there again, it is by far the cheapest place in town, perhaps it has improved....at check in, I would be sure to ask for a clean, no pets, no smoking renovated room!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I spent four nights at the Super 8 Motel in Decorah, Iowa, and the owners/staff were very helpful and courteous. I required an ozone machine for the room, since it had just been painted and I am chemically-sensitive. They were able to provide me with the machine, enabling me to stay at the motel. Also, they were willing to answer any questions and provide any help I needed.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Tried this as an affordable choice and was very pleased. Our room was newly renovated to a "look" and standard much higher than the regular Super 8: new paint & carpet, new mattresses, lovely bedding, flat panel TV, bathroom had new tile floor, marble counters. Nice-sized fridge but I don't think all rooms have them - you should ask. If noise bothers you, stay away from the highway side - trucks on the hill can be loud but the far side rooms are quiet.

The absolute best part was the breakfast - way above Super 8 standards: besides the cereals and breads, they had hot biscuits and gravy, hardboiled eggs, yogurt and fruit. The lobby was being renovated too, but all was clean and in place for the breakfast. Manager and workers very friendly and helpful. When they finish the renovation, and if they keep the price low, this place will be a real gem.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Valderi1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Decorah
Quality Inn & Suites Decorah
#1 of 2 in Cresco
Dug Road Inn
Dug Road Inn
#1 of 4 in Decorah

Been to Super 8 Decorah? Share your experiences!