“Decorah, the jewel of Iowa.”

Country Inn By Carlson, Decorah
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Decorah
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We stayed at the Country Inn and found out it was right on the biking/walking trail. We walked on the trail to downtown. What a treat with all the wildflowers and shade from the hardwood trees of Northeast Iowa.
The motel was a treat to stay in. One of the surprises was at breakfast. Real plates, coffee cups, juice glasses and silverware. A definite A+ rating. The general manager was extremely friendly and helpful. Couldn't ask for a better representative for Country Inn.
We will return to this one.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Country Inn By Carlson, Decorah

Reviewed August 11, 2014

The Country Inn Decorah, IA was a great hotel, consistent with the other Country Inn's we have stayed at. We appreciated the pool and whirlpool, and the breakfast is always good. The room was very clean, quiet and comfortable.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 11, 2014

We stayed at this property and were very happy. HAd the two grandkids with us and they supplied two roll away beds with a smile when requested. Staff was courteous and the breakfast was great with real plates, silverware and Coffee mugs. Would recommend this property. Only drawback was no elevator for a two story property.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed August 9, 2014

My expectations were low for this place near Luther College. But even those weren't met. The place seems reasonably clean and the young woman who checked us in and recommended restaurants was very good. But after dinner when guests were in adjacent rooms it became apparent that the walls are SUPER thin and you can hear everything as if the neighbors were in your room.

But the clincher for me was when I started to smell cigarette smoke filling up my room. I called the night desk clerk who came up with a can of febreze for the hallway near my door. Mind you my door and every other door I could see on the floor had a non-smoking sign on it. I was actually pretty surprised to learn the hotel allowed smoking in the rooms. When I asked the front desk night clerk which rooms allowed smoking she told me she couldn't tell me that information. She also suggested that she didn't smell smoke and that someone who had smoking must have walked by my door. As the night went on I called again as the smoking continued on and my room smelled worse than an ashtray. The vent in the bathroom cannot be shut off and my hunch is it was coming in through that. The clerk told me she was sorry but there was nothing she could do. So I slept very little and woke up with a headache and congestion. Never going back to this place. If you smoke cigarettes this is the place for you!

Room Tip: No elevator so 2nd floor might be for you. Back is quieter
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank bigtimetraveller1111
countryinndecorah, General Manager at Country Inn By Carlson, Decorah, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2014

We are so sorry that your stay was not as you nor our hotel would like it to have been. We did try to immediately and positivity correct any issue with the smoking smell you were experiencing. We are very aware that it can be disturbing to others, however all smoking rooms are separately vented as required by law and as stated we did not find anyone smoking in a unapproved area near your room. We understand that you did not want to leave the hotel when we offered to relocate and pay for other lodging and transportation to another more comfortable location for you as it was late, We of course did refund your night stay with us and we are very disappointed that we were not able to satisfy you and make you more comfortable during your stay. We would love the opportunity to have you stay as our guest so we may show you we do strive every day to make sure all our guests have a wonderful experience. Again we are sorry and hope that you will visit us again.

Reviewed August 4, 2014

From the welcoming warmth of the firs place. To the welcoming smile on the faces of the front desk personnel, to the welcoming comfort of the beds, to the welcoming aroma of the breakfast. You feel welcome. A great experience that will entice you to return. Thank you.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2014

This Motel was excellent. The room was very clean. The desk clerk was very helpful. Would not hesitate to stay here again. The motel was close to walking trails and eating places. We ere on our way to WI and thought about staying another night,

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed July 19, 2014

The hotel looked new and was extremely charming and well maintained. The rooms were wonderful, comfortable bed and very large. The manager was extremely kind, check in was flawless, and they served a wonderful breakfast. After this experience, I will lean towards more stays at a Country Inn and Suites.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Decorah
Quality Inn & Suites Decorah
#1 of 4 in Decorah
Super 8 Cresco IA
Super 8 Cresco IA
#1 of 2 in Cresco

Been to Country Inn By Carlson, Decorah? Share your experiences!