“When in Decorah, we stay at the Country Inn.”

Country Inn By Carlson, Decorah
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Decorah
Houston
“When in Decorah, we stay at the Country Inn.”
Reviewed January 17, 2012

Stayed there while visiting Luther College. Room was super clean, staff very friendly, breakfast was plentiful, hot and fresh. The walls are a little thin and if you have someone heavy staying above you, you'll hear every step they take. That's the only reason I rated the room a 4 and not a 5. But this will be where we stay next time we're back in town.

• Stayed January 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed December 5, 2011

I stayed previously at this hotel three years prior and had a great experience. This was partly the reason I made my reservation with them one week to the date of arrival. At the time of my reservation, I was sold on a very good hotel. However, it was what they weren't telling me that made me regret my decision. One example that I share with you is regarding their cable tv. They recently upgraded and are experiencing significant problems with the signal strength. You might be watching the news or the weather and suddently your television screen goes black. It was sheer madness. Why didn't they tell me this when I made my reservation? While I wasn't there to watch tv, it is a basic part of my day to get current news and weather. It isn't reasonable to charge $140-something a night when their ammenties are sub-par. I went to comment on this at the front three different times, however, there were other guests who were in line to discus the exact same thing.

The hotel hasn't been kept up. The carpet is worn out. The fixtures are dated. I expected more. I expected consistency to other Country Inns. Previously, I have stayed at the Quality Inn, and this is where I will stay in the future. It is the honesty and integrity of those who sell me my room that keep me as a return guest.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank TurkeyGirl33
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed November 25, 2011

We use to live in Decorah and. Ame back to visit family and friends. This hotel was our first choice. They rooms are a good size for our family of 4 with a small fridge and microwave. Plus the indoor heated pool and hot rub made for a a great place for the kids to connect with their friends. Very clean. The breakfast was always a surprise as to what would be in the hot containers. Each day was different. We had breakfast tacos, biscuit and gravy, waffles, French toast, eggs, and always fruit and oatmeal plus toppings. The front desk staff was always very friendly and helpful. I will stay here again next time I visit Decorah!!

• Stayed November 2011
Snow Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed here for a few weeks and mixed business with pleasure. The whole experience overall was superb! The staff is helpful and if we one person couldn't help us with something they made sure they found someone who could. Free Wi-Fi in your room for no extra charge, that put a huge smile on my face. The staff that cleaned our room was always very personable and cheerful. One even educated us on Scandinavian terms for the foods in town. The room had Broyhill real wood furnishings. I nice desk to sit at, plenty of lighting, big, clean, comfy chair, and the beds were very comfortable. Clean bathroom too! It was very very clean and not dated. The breakfast in the morning had lots to choose from. They have two waffle makers that are very easy to use. Delicious coffee, yogurt, fresh berries and granola for your yogurt, cereals, hot oatmeal ready to be scooped out fresh, juices, eggs, and then usually either sausage, potatoes, or sausage gravy and biscuits too! I would stay here 20 times over!

Room Tip: I would ask for a room on the back side of the hotel so you don't have to hear/see cars pull up...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
redlands CA
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

The layout and décor of the hotel made us feel comfortable and relaxed, as if we were at home. The breakfast each morning was tasty and my daughter loved playing in the pool area. We appreciated the guest laundry facilities (which were reasonably priced) since we had several loads of laundry to do for our three month old. We also enjoyed choosing a book from the selection in the lobby—we are reading through Peter Pan together.

The staff at the hotel was friendly and responsive. They were always professional and upbeat—from the front desk staff to the housekeeping. They looked for ways to be helpful—from opening up the door when my wife had her hands full with the baby, to setting up the crib for us when we called to say we would be arriving late in the night. They did little things to make the experience special, like putting out fresh chocolate chip cookies or bringing around a stick of licorice to all the dads on Father’s Day.

The staff demonstrated excellent customer care and service and I would definitely stay there again.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Simi Valley
Reviewed June 23, 2011

Clean & comfortable with a good breakfast. Our only issue was there was no elevator and we had over packed as most women do but we were aware of this when we made our reservations.

Room Tip: This is a darling town, quaint, friendly, etc.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Plymouth, Minnesota
Reviewed January 7, 2011

We booked a one night stay for a family wedding and were very impressed with the condition of the hotel and the service. The rooms were clean with comfortable beds, the temperature was easy to regulate, and the common areas were roomy and well-kept. The staff was also very friendly and helpful. There is a nice pool area for families and the breakfast offerings exceded those of other hotels in this price tier. It was well worth the price and we would definitely recommend this hotel. By the way - my significant other would like to note that this place had the best towels of any hotel she's stayed at of any price tier.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Decorah
Quality Inn & Suites Decorah
#4 of 4 in Decorah
Dug Road Inn
Dug Road Inn
#1 of 3 in Decorah

Been to Country Inn By Carlson, Decorah? Share your experiences!