“Better this time”

Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Davenport
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 29, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 5 nights at this older hotel. The crew works hard maintaining this property. We saw the maintenance crew everyday working in different areas of the property. This is our 4th stay at this hotel. We keep coming back to this hotel for the breakfast buffet, night club, and the location. The last time we stayed here the room had a water stained ceiling and old style TV. The room was refreshed over the last year. Ceiling was painted, TV was a new 36" Flat screen, and the ceiling tiles in the bathroom were new and white. Bed was quite comfortable. The breakfast buffet consists of eggs, fried potatoes, sausage, bacon, fresh fruit and an assortment of breads. They also switched between french toast and biscuits and gravy. The food was always fresh and hot. We enjoyed a few beverages every night at the hotel bar. Bar apps and desserts were priced good and were tasty. We really enjoyed the staff at bar. Everyone working there was friendly and outgoing. Saturday night we saw a woman bussing tables. We had not seen her any of the other nights. We could not believe what we saw next. She went right from bussing the dirty plates and glasses from the tables to a jug of cherries and reached into the jug with her dirty hands and scooped the cherries into the server station. We were so disgusted to see this. We told the bartender what we had observed. He informed us that, that was his boss. I believe he said her name was Judy. He did dump the cherries out of the server station, but the entire container was contaminated. I would have dumped the entire container if it had happened in my establishment.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Rochelle R, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Steeplegate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Hello PutJer1,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor! I'm glad to see that you continue to stay at our property and enjoy it.

Thank you for noticing the extensive work we have been doing to update our property over the last couple months. A lot of time and energy has gone into this project, and we are gradually making huge improvements. Our maintenance staff is awesome at keeping everything updated and working properly. Your comments on our staff being friendly and outgoing did not go unnoticed, and I will be sharing this positive feedback with them.

I would like to apologize for what you had witnessed in the lounge. The reason you had not seen Judi during your stay with us, is because she is one of our sales associates. She doesn't generally work in the bar, and was trying to help out during a busy night. What happened was definitely a mistake, the staff brought it to her attention that night, and our general manager has followed up with her as well. Thank you very much for your honesty and candor and for bringing this to our attention.

The staff and I would like to invite you back the next time you are in the Davenport area. Hopefully we will be done renovating and you will get to see the finished product!

Reviewed January 17, 2014

Staff at arrival were efficient. Bed and bedding were very comfortable. Room very clean and also microwave and fridge. Restaurant had good food. Check out was fast and efficient. Fitness had equipment I needed. Pool was clean.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Rochelle R, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Steeplegate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2014

Hello Kim,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor! I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay here!

I'm glad to see that your travels were met with fast and efficient service from our staff, and that you were able to take advantage of several of our onsite amenities. I noticed your comments on the cleanliness of the hotel. Our staff works very hard to maintain a clean and comfortable atmosphere for our guests. Your positive feedback lets them know that their hard work is paying off.

Again, thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay. The staff and I would like to invite you back on your next visit to the Davenport area.

Reviewed January 13, 2014

Very friendly and helpful staff. Good location and easy to find right off the interstate. The dining room has a good menu and excellent specials. The complementary breakfast is very good. The only thing I would change is having the room set up with the sink outside of the bathroom for more convenience when you have 3 or 4 people sharing the room.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Rochelle R, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Steeplegate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Hello EriePeople,

Thank you for the wonderful review on Tripadvisor! I'm glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us!

I enjoyed your comments about the friendly and helpful staff, the dining room, and the complimentary breakfast. Each one of our employees here works very hard to exceed guest expectations and to ensure great service to each guest. Your comments show them that their hard work is paying off.

I want to thank you again for your comments on your recent stay with us. The staff and I hope that you will stay with us on your next trip to the Davenport area.

Reviewed January 8, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel annually for the last 4 years. This was the best year yet. The staff was friendly, helpful and overall great. We were especially impressed by James and Aaron. Breakfast is good and rooms are fairly nice.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Rochelle R, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Steeplegate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Hello Cherokee,

Thank you for the excellent review regarding your recent stay with us! I'm glad to see that you continue to come back to our property.

Your comment about the staff being friendly, helpful, and overall great is exactly what we strive for. Our staff works very hard to take care of our guests and maintain our high level of guest service. James and Aaron have worked here for a while and I consider them to be great assets to our company. Your comments show them that their hard work is paying off.

Again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. The staff and I hope to see you again next year!

Reviewed January 5, 2014

I spent four days at the Steeplegate Inn over Christmas break and I was (overall) very pleased with my experience. I knew going in that this was not a luxury hotel, it would not have a fancy spa and the free "hot" breakfast would be mediocre. Those expectations helped me alot. I also read a number of TripAdvisor reviews before going so I knew the hotel had no elevator and there would be a strong smell in the hallways (a mix of old cigarette smoke and chlorine from the pool). Thus, when I arrived, I wasn't surprised by any of this.

I reserved a jacuzzi suite for the week and I was surprised at the large size of my room. It gave me plenty of space to stretch out and it even came with a half bath near the entrance. The bathroom was also large, including a jacuzzi tub and an unexpected dual shower. The weird thing, however, was the design of this tub/shower space. The dual shower heads (each with separate controls) emptied into the jacuzzi tub. I had to be careful when taking a shower that I didn't step on one of the jets or the drain stopper. Also, the way the tub/shower was designed, water that hit my body bounced back against the tile walls and ran down onto the floor. (This was a MAJOR problem if I started to use the jacuzzi feature.) The carpet in front of the bathroom showed clear signs of previous water damage. Clearly, this area needs to be redesigned. Why have a little "trough" running all around the tub and emptying onto the bathroom floor? Also, it was awkward taking a shower in the jacuzzi tub because the walls of the tub bow out. It was just a strange experience. It wasn't bad... just odd (as long as you had the "trough" blocked with towels).

The restaurant was small, but very nice. I was very impressed with the cinnamon rolls, but I agree that the eggs left alot to be desired. I also didn't care much for the sausage, but the biscuits and gravy were delicious. Overall, I was most impressed with the friendliness of the staff. Everyone was very nice and helpful.

The night club was closed over the Christmas break so I wasn't able to go in, but it looked very cool from the outside.

Finally... the pool area was always filled with kids, so I never explored the pool. Apparently, they have an adult-only swim from 10pm - 11pm nightly. This would have been good for me.

Overall, everyone from the front desk to the restaurant to the housekeeping staff was very nice. Each person seemed genuinely concerned about helping me and making my stay a pleasant one.

I think the price was a bit high for the current condition of the hotel, but I would stay there again - especially if I could get a discount.

Room Tip: They are remodeling the poolside rooms right now. Stay upstairs and away from the noise.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
Rochelle R, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Steeplegate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Hello James,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay at our property. It is through comments and suggestions from our guests that we are able to improve on our facilities and service.

I'm glad to see that your overall experience with us was a good one and you were able to take advantage of several of our amenities. I'm sorry to hear that there were issues with the whirlpool tub/shower in your room. I will be passing these comments along to our maintenance manager to see if we can get this issue resolved.

I noticed your comment that everyone here seemed genuinely concerned about helping you and making your stay a pleasant one. I feel very fortunate working with the staff that I do, who thoroughly enjoy their jobs and strive to make every guest's experience a good one.

Again, I want to thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. The staff and I hope to see you back on your next visit to the Davenport area.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

Our family got together at the hotel for a mini reunion. Rented Conference room, as well as guest rooms and had a wonderful time. Staff exceptionally helpful (especially desk staff-Emily & Jodi, and maintenance-Aaron). Room quality super. Having conference room made visiting very easy and enjoyable. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Rochelle R, Front Office Manager at Best Western Plus Steeplegate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Hello DMJCASE,

Thank you for taking the time to write a great review on TripAdvisor! I'm glad to see that you were able to experience one of our many great meeting rooms as well as an overnight stay in our hotel!

I feel very honored to work with our staff here at our property. Your recognition of these exceptionally helpful individuals shows them that their hard work is paying off. I will definitely be passing along your comments to them.

Thank you again for taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We hope that you will choose us to be a part of your next family gathering as well.

Reviewed December 28, 2013

An amazing experience...pleasant, competent & efficient perosnnel. Wonderful accomodations. Quality follow up during stay to ensure our satisfaction. The Quail Restaurant attached to hotel is to be commended for both service & food quality. One suggestion to an almost perfect breakfast...introduce the use of fresh eggs. Prepackaged does not meet our standard.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for the wonderful review on TripAdvisor! I'm glad to see that your experience in our hotel was an amazing one.

I noticed your comments on the wonderful accommodations, and the pleasant, competent, and efficient staff. I take great pride in the staff here at our property. Everyone works very hard to provide great service and ensure a great experience for each of our guests. The suggestion for the use of fresh eggs did not go unnoticed and I will definitely be bringing this idea up to the chef.

I want to thank you for choosing to stay with us. The staff and I would like to invite you back to our property on your next trip to the Davenport area.