“Rooms were actually pretty nice...”

Best Western Plus Steeplegate Inn
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Davenport
GreenLeadersSilver level
St. Charles, Illinois
“Rooms were actually pretty nice...”
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Fancy? Definitely not. The place actually has kind of an odd set-up, with the indoor pool/rec area in a sort of an indoor courtyard, surrounded by rooms. Arriving in our room, however, we were pleasantly surprised. The rooms were clean (even had a sterilized remote for the TV -- kind of a nice touch). And they were surprisingly spacious. We had two queen beds in our room. They were not super-duper amazingly "Four Seasons" comfortable-- but they were not hard, lumpy rocks either. They were perfectly fine-- no achy back or neck problems the next day at all. The staff at the hotel was friendly and very accommodating. Would I want to vacation here? No. But for a reasonably priced place to stretch your legs, get a decent meal, and rest your head for the night, this place is just fine.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
GM-Kelly, General Manager at Best Western Plus Steeplegate Inn, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Thank you for the feedback regarding your stay with us. Reading through your comments, it seems that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Our goal, as a staff, is to provide each of our guests with exceptionally clean and comfortable accommodations in a warm and friendly atmosphere. The staff works very hard to take care of our guests and great comments such as yours show them that their hard work pays off. Myself and the staff look forward to seeing you again during any return visits you may have to the Davenport area.

Best Western PLUS SteepleGate Inn

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Saint Louis
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Only stayed one night but everything was perfect. No issues whatsoever and the place was clean and QUIET. Enjoyed the breakfast buffet the next morning too. About an hour after I checked in, the front desk called to see if everything was okay and if I needed anything. Would definitely stay there again and would recommend this hotel highly.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Dear Stephen,

Thank you for all the wonderful comments and for taking the time to share them on TripAdvisor. Our staff works very hard to take care of our guests and great comments such as yours show them that their hard work pays off. Sounds like you will be back during your next visit to the Davenport area, myself and the staff will look forward to seeing you!!

Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Driving to the hotel is a bit awkward. Long access road that is very rough. Parking outside the room is awkward, no place to park near our room and the parking lot sloped so much it was difficult to keep our luggage from rolling away.

The check in staff was very nice. Unfortunately we found that our room was directly over the maintenance shop. We could hear the men closing up and hoped that they would not start work early. Our room was non-smoking but we could smell cigarette smoke. The next day we could see why. The maintenance workers were standing outside the window smoking. In the hallway the smell was very strong. The workers didn't wake us up, but the ice machine outside our door kept us up as people got ice all night long. The maid knocked on our door at 8:30am.

The restaurant and bar were very nice. Drinks good in the bar and it had a lively crowd. Breakfast was good as well. I wanted to sit in the hot tub but the inside pool and hot tub area was cold and drafty and the water in the hot tub was luke warm. So I skipped that. Oh well, at least the bar was good..

The room itself was alright. Adequate number of plugs, Wi-fi worked fine.Cheap Kleenex but Pantene toiletries. Husband complained that the toilet seat was difficult to keep the lid up, even with the intention cut in the counter to accommodate it. The bath and shower worked, nothing special although the tub seemed to give when I stepped in. An unsettling feeling.

Beds were good, nice flat screen TV, Micro and Fridge were good, as was the coffee maker. The air conditioner worked just fine although the blow dryer provided was whimpy.

All in all, probably won't return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Make sure they don't put you near the ice maker or the shop.
Green Features: I was really not aware of this hotel's environmental policies. In fact, there was no recycling bin in the room nor notice of their policies. I wouldn't know that the paper goods were recyclable without being told.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pat R
Dear Patricia,

Thank you for all your feedback regarding your stay with us. Reading through your comments, it seems that you were able to experience several aspects of our hotel. Our goal, as a staff, is to provide each of our guests with exceptionally clean and comfortable accommodations in a warm and friendly atmosphere. Your comments tell me that we did reach our goal in some areas, but fell short in others. I truly believe that our guests are the most valuable voice in helping us to improve our hotel and I appreciate your honesty and candor - without the honesty of our customers, we would never be able to adequately address issues and implement improvements.

I would like to assure you that myself and my management team are actively addressing the issues that you mentioned and I sincerely hope that you will give us another try. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to make arrangements for another stay.

Best Western PLUS SteepleGate Inn - Davenport, IA

or sharing your thoughts.
SSP,
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We arrived late after traveling many hours. At check in we were invited to enjoy the lounge and order some food. We had a great time dancing to the music which the DJ was happy to play for us. The next morning was a nice hot breakfast with eggs, bacon , sausage and the other average items. The room was bright and cheerful.

We would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mary Jo,

Thank you for all the great comments!! I am so glad you had such a great time while staying with us. It sounds like you were able to enjoy many aspects of our hotel. I certainly hope that you will be traveling to the Davenport area in the near future and choose to stay with us again. We would love to have you back!!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Arrived late and reserved room type unavailable check in staff blamed booking company although wife later overheard them discussing how a staff member had messed up again. Would appear my explanation was a fob off. It was after 9 and restaurant was closed asked for suggestions and were directed to a restaurant nearby which was also closed found a diner ourselves.
Room was fine although carpet badly stained - advised reception of this and an unsuccessful effort was made to clean. Bathroom a little worse for wear good hot water pressure. Beds comfortable room we had extremely quiet interior looking. Amenities incl wi fi excellent. Rate included breakfast buffet which was substantial. Pool area which you walk through to access pool smell of chlorine overpowering. All in all happy with the stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Shiretraveller2229
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us. Reading through your comments, it seems that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay. Our goal, as a staff, is to provide each of our guests with exceptionally clean and comfortable accommodations in a warm and friendly atmosphere. I did make note of the your honest obeservations of the carpet and the chlorine smell from our pool and both those issues have been addressed. Thank you for bringing them to our attention so that we had a chance to fix them. All in all, I am very glad that you enjoyed your time with us and I certainly hope that you will be back with us in the near future.

Margate, Florida
Reviewed March 22, 2013

One morning, I was working in my room, and lost track of time. I went to the restaurant, and just missed the hours they were serving. Susan Brandt, a manager there, said, "Oh, I am so sorry, the restaurant is now closed for breakfast".... She then followed up with "But, I can get you whatever you want from the kitchen". Imagine that!! I was already depressed, assuming I had missed breakfast.. I then said, ok, what can I get. She said "anything, I will get it made for you". Wow..... I said, how about 2 eggs over easy, toast and bacon extra crispy.. She said, sure!!! I was the only one there---and was served a custom breakfast.. Wow... It reminded me when you visit relatives out of town, and your relative fixes you something to eat....whenever. Susan Brandt----. Not only did she go out of her way...and the cooking staff also... but (and this is important)... Her smile indicated that she REALLY WANTED to do this!! I said "thank you" and she said "you're welcome"-- and meant it. So much a better response than "no problem"---(overused), as it truly WAS outside of their plan for the next meal. Susan.. You are an asset to this hotel.... and made it special.

Room Tip: I forgot this hotel chain was a smoking chain. (oops)-- So I recommend the upper floors....away from...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business