“A great reception and stay.....”

Best Western Plus Steeplegate Inn
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Davenport
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I attended a wedding reception at this location and also stayed the night.......
The food was great and the staff served over 200 people.......
The reception went off without a hitch.......
My room was of the typical motel fair.Outdated? Didn't seem like it to me...I sure liked the 4 pillows per bed......
The free breakfast the next morning was just what my hangover needed,Eggs,Bacon, potato's,sausages,and biscuits and gravy,Along with a waffle maker and cereal........My only complaint is please cook the bacon more so its crispy........
although I did not use the weight room its looked complete and well maintained.....
The pool was clean and the game room was pretty fun....Even had a pool table.....

On a ABC scale i give it a A-........

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
GM-Kelly, General Manager at Best Western Plus Steeplegate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded December 19, 2012

Thank you for all the great comments!! I am so glad you had such a great time while staying with us. It sounds like you were able to enjoy many aspects of our hotel - our wedding banquet area, our guest rooms, our pool, and our complimentary hot buffet breakfast. I certainly hope that you will traveling to the Davenport area in the near future and choose to stay with us again. We would love to have you back!!

Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

We had a good nights sleep on their very comfortable beds. Rooms were very dated and in need of upgrades. Breakfast was very basic. Staff was very helpful and friendly. Nice pool and rec area. Don't recommend getting a room directly of the rec area, a bit noisy at night. Would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012
GM-Kelly, General Manager at Best Western Plus Steeplegate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Thank you for the feedback regarding your stay with us. Reading through your comments, it seems that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay. Our goal, as a staff, is to provide each of our guests with exceptionally clean and comfortable accommodations in a warm and friendly atmosphere. The staff works very hard to take care of our guests and great comments such as yours show them that their hard work pays off. Thank you.

I did notice the comment that you felt your "room was dated and in need of upgrades". I appreciate your honesty and candor and please know that your comments were taken to heart. I would like to reassure you that our owners are actively upgrading our property. We have spent the last two years, and just under one million dollars, effectively working our way through the entire hotel updating, decorating, and purchasing brand new items. We have upgraded our wireless high speed internet, replaced the entire roof of the property, landscaped our exterior areas, and hired an interior decorator to completely redecorate and redesign our public spaces (lobby, restaurant, and bar). We are currently working our way through the guest rooms - new flat screen TVs, new case goods, new bedding and linens, and new amenities. We are very excited about all our plans and I sincerely apologize that you were not able to stay in one of our completed rooms.

I am very glad to know that you will be back with us again during your next visit to the Davenport area. Please feel free to contact me directly and I would be happy to ensure that you are booked into one of our completed rooms, that way you can personally experience the upgrades.

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We were traveling across country and had booked here after reading some reviews on Trip Advisor. We knew it would be good, but it was, indeed, better than we expected. It's a lovely facility with an indoor center courtyard sporting a beautiful pool, jacuzzi, ping pong tables and other entertainments. We arrived in time for happy hour and after a long day in the car, that was very welcome. Much to our surprise, the bar was not JUST a bar, it was a club, complete with dance floor and comfy places to sit and chat. I had one of the best margaritas I've ever had there as we sat and unwound. If you stay here there is no need to go in search of a restaurant because they have a reasonably priced one right on the premises with a varied menu. A full breakfast buffet added to the value. I don't know that we'd ever be in Davenport again, but if we were, we would definitely stay here!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for the feedback regarding your stay with us. Reading through your comments, it seems that you thoroughly enjoyed your recent stay with us. Our goal, as a staff, is to provide each of our guests with exceptionally clean and comfortable accommodations in a warm and friendly atmosphere. The staff works very hard to take care of our guests and great comments such as yours show them that their hard work pays off. Sounds like you will be back during your next visit to the Davenport area, myself and the staff will look forward to seeing you!!

Reviewed September 10, 2012

They are trying to update the property and have made improvements, but it is still an older property that needs a lot more work. Stayed for 3 nights and the interior halls smelled like urine and stale cigarettes. Cleanliness of room was OK, but nothing special. Hopefully, they will continue to improve the property and reach an acceptable level in the future.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
GM-Kelly, General Manager at Best Western Plus Steeplegate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Thank you for providing us feedback on your most recent stay with us. My expectation for the staff, as well as for myself, is to have each and every guest leave our hotel feeling that the service they received and the accommodations they paid for were exceptional. Your comments tell me that we did not reach our goal. I truly believe that our guests are the most valuable voice in helping us to improve our hotel and I appreciate your honesty and candor. I would like to reassure you that the smell and cleanliness of the hallway is not a typical experience for our guests and I have already looked into and addressed the issue with the staff involved. Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.

My hope is that you will try our property again and give us another opportunity to provide you with the type of experience we pride ourselves in. Please feel free to contact me directly to discuss anything further or to make arrangements to give us another try.

Reviewed September 8, 2012

This was a very nice hotel. Although we had poolside rooms, we switched due to the entertainment that went on into the wee hours of the morning and their bar and grille. However, the customer service was very nice and the breakfast in the morning was superb.

Room Tip: They offer good deals or discounts for your travels. The hotel itself is dated but the rooms are up...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Thank you so much for your positive feedback. Our goal is always to provide a pleasant stay for our guests and from your comments, it looks like we have succeeded with that. I did notice your comment regarding the loud noises you were hearing coming from our bar and restaurant. I certainly apologize that you were inconvenienced and very pleased that the staff took care of you and resolved the problem by moving you rooms.

Thank you again for sharing your comments and we look forward to seeing you during your next visit to the Davenport area.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

We stayed here after reading the previous great reviews from patrons. We do not normally choose Best Western after a previous negative experience some years ago.

Firstly the good:-

Our room was well appointed, clean and spacious for the rate charged.
The staff are friendly and checked our room was ready. Also they rung later to check how things were.
There is a washer and drier in the hall. Great for those travelling.
Parking is easy and free.
Internet is free.
We ate at the restaurant. Nothing outstanding but a good steak, lovely dessert and good price.
Breakfast was very good for this type of hotel.
We didnt use the pool. However that whole area looks great and would suit families.

The draw backs:-

The carpet throughout this hotel looks shaby and stained. Dosent leave a great impression of cleanliness even if clean.
The bed was hot - I havent checked but it almost felt like a plastic was under the sheets?
The smell of smoke in our non smoking room was as strong as a dirty ashtray. In fairness we should have done something earlier but we thought it would decrease. It didnt. It made for a very bad nights sleep and I woke congested with a headache. The smell was so strong we turned off the aircon (wondering if that was the source) and left the windows open all night, This despite the traffic noise from the highway and heat it was the only way to get a rest. I am still not sure what the source is - but for non smokers espcially those with children this needs to be addressed.'

I would hesitate to recommend this hotel due to the smell of smoke. We would seek an alternative if in this area again. Having said that it is well priced and there are definately some good points about it.

Room Tip: Check the room for smoke odour if you are a non smoker!
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

I did notice the comments of aspects of your stay that you felt were drawbacks. I appreciate your honesty and candor and please know that your comments were taken to heart. I would like to reassure you that the smoke smell in your guest room and the cleanliness of the hallway carpets is not a typical experience for our guests. I have already looked into and addressed those specific issues with the staff involved, thank you so much for sharing them with us.

If there is anything that you would like to discuss further, please do not hesitate to contact me personally. I invite you to stay with us once again and look forward to seeing you during your next visit to the Davenport area.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

We stayed on 8-9-2012 on our way home from vaction.We stayed at the Best Wesrern in Mequon, Wi. on the 8-8-2012 that was a night mare the room was DIRTY !!!!
When we checked in to our room in Davenport,Iowa it was a all new ball game very friendly.When we got to our room they called and made sure everything was ok. The room was VERY clean. We ate at the grill at the motel and the food was GREAT,breakfast the next day was also Great.Overall our stay was a EXCELLENT stay.We would highly recommend this hotel we paid $98.99 for a king bedroom.The Staff was Super Great!!!!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple