“Great stay!”

Best Western Plus Steeplegate Inn
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Davenport
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 6, 2012

Great place to stay! Everything you need is right there- pool, jacuzzi, atrium, courtyard, bar, restaurant, kids games, etc. A delicious hot breakfast is included in the room price. All the staff is very friendly and helpful! My wife and I have stayed there around 28 nights total over the years, and have never had a bad experience.

Room Tip: I don't think there's a bad room.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 3, 2012

I have actually stayed at the Steeplegate twice now; the last 2 years over Christmas. (Visiting family in Davenport.) This hotel's location is fairly convenient to our relative's home and always has decent rates, therefore it's an easy choice.

Here are my main thoughts on the hotel:
* Try not to get "upgraded" to a poolside room. We received this supposed upgrade during our most recent stay and it was not pleasant. The pool area is nice, but to have a room right next to it means that you have the echo-y noise of children in the pool, kids hollering, and adults talking & laughing. None of the behavior of the guests in the pool area was particularly rowdy or out of line; it is just that the space is not acoustically sound and the noises are easily heard in any room near the pool area.

* The breakfast buffet (which is included) is only OK. Many of the selections are not particularly warm and the coffee is quite weak. However, there are cereal options, fruit, and granola bars available too, which are nice to have included.

* Since we stayed on Christmas night the hotel staff was VERY limited; as in, I believe the only person working was the receptionist. When our room had been cleaned the staff person had not replenished the toilet paper and we were left with less than 1/2 of a roll. I had to call the front desk 3 times to get in touch with someone who said a man would drop off another roll. However, this man never did appear and I ended up going down to the desk to get extra supplies myself.

* The beds were reasonably comfortable and our room's decor looked as though it had been recently updated. It was very nice to have a small fridge in our room, as we had brought along snacks.

* The price was right; I believe our final price (inclusive of all the taxes) was about $70 for the evening.

Room Tip: Avoid the poolside rooms, unless you want to be near the noise associated with the pool area.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 28, 2011

AAA rate of $89 for a Tuesday night double queen. Another guest just left a review encouraging SW rooms and we absolutely agree. We stayed in room 418-around the corner from pool away from many kids and pets. Great atrium, nice pool and a hot tub that wasn't luke warm and green. Hot breakfast buffet, soft pillows and towels. Save $$$ from a restaurant and instead order a pizza from front desk. This hotel certainly knows how to cater to the family!

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 27, 2011

Nice clean large room. Comfy beds. Very nice bar/lounge and friendly bartender. Nice pool too!

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed December 16, 2011

We recently held a large two day meeting of approximately 100 people and this hotel did a fantastic job of exceeding our expectations! Our attendees were impressed with the level of cleanliness and quality of the food, and I was especially impressed with the staff's high attention to customer service and the level of efficiency they provided which kept us on time in our meetings (we had some high demands and they exceeded every one of them). I highly recommend this hotel for anything from a business meeting to a vacation get away. Every member of the staff treated each of our attendees as a valuable customer and made sure everyone walked away feeling great about the experience!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We spent Thanksgiving weekend at the Steeplegate and we had wonderful service from the moment we entered the hotel until we left. The free buffet breakfast was hot and plentiful, the fish Friday night was delicious. The hotel was clean and met our expectations. We will definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: First floor southwest corner -- quieter
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 20, 2011

The hallway smelled like an old Smokey bar with lots of febreeze to try and cover it up. My room needed to be vacuumed and on the 2nd nite I found a dead bug in my sheets. If this is Iowa's finest I'd hate to see the others. A lot of money for smelly and not that nice in my opinion. The bathtub was old and the sink didn't drain very well. Nice staff do not make up for old and stinky

Room Tip: Go elsewhere away from the interstate
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
GM-Kelly, General Manager at Best Western Plus Steeplegate Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 30, 2011

Hello Nancy,

My name is Kelly Kerkhoven and I am the General Manager of the Best Western PLUS SteepleGate Inn. I just wanted to follow up with you personally and let you know that I was very disappointed by what I read regarding your recent stay with us. The condition of your room and the hallway leading to it - not smelling fresh, the thinness and condition of the bedding, and the overall maintenance of the sink and toilet - I assure you is not acceptable by myself, our owner, our Housekeeping Manager, or our Maintenance Manager. We do have a great staff that has won several awards for the great job that they do and how your room slipped through our standards, I do not know, but I will find out!!

I stress continually to my employees, no matter the department, just how important it is to step back and see our hotel from the guest’s perspective. It is so easy to get focused with tunnel vision on “getting the job done” that you lose sight that we are not just doing a job, but providing an experience to every guest that stays with us. To help improve my staff's performance, I share all guest surveys and responses with them, knowing that comments such as yours will show them how their lack of focus negatively impacted a guest's stay. I sincerely apologize that we lost that guest perspective during your stay with us.

I am very glad that you found Nikki to be prompt in her reply to you and that you appreciated her compensation offer. We do care about our customers a great deal and I assure you that your next experience with us will be a much better one. If there is anything else that you would like to share with me, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Thank you again for your honest feedback.

Kelly Kerkhoven