“Pleasant Surprise”

Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Davenport
minnesota
“Pleasant Surprise”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

We stayed here one night while traveling from Minnesota to Florida on 9-5-13. I had reserved 2 rooms through Hotwire while we were on the road and knew where we would land for the night. We had one king, handicap accessible suite for my grandfather and a double bed room for my father and I. Our room was plenty big, the shower and toilet were separate from the sink (which I prefer when traveling with others), had just Bath and Body Works Shampoo and Conditioner and bar soap. The beds were comfortable, the linens were soft and clean. The HVAC unit worked great. Our room was clean. There was a dorm-size fridge in the room, no microwave. I didn't really scour everything, but we were quite comfortable for our one-night stay and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

There is a Cracker Barrel right across the street and a little more upscale (steak/seafood) of a restaurant just down the street. There are more restaurants in the area, but like I said, I was there overnight - less than 10 hrs, so we were looking for something quick and close. It is a little tricky to get to, but certainly not impossible. The continental breakfast was less than average. It was your basic free breakfast - waffles, sausage patties (NOT good), powdered scrambled eggs, bagels, english muffins, donuts (old/stale), yogurt, cereal, juice, coffee.

There is no elevator, but it wasn't horrible to just haul my suitcase up the stairs, but I can see where it would be troublesome for some. The first room I walked into had a dead battery in the smoke alarm and it was beeping, the girl at the front desk was quick to run me keys to a new room, it was a total non-issue and certainly not anyone's fault. The common areas were clean and comfortable. This was a comfortable, no frills hotel that provided us a good night's sleep.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shenanigans21

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Saylorsburg, Pennsylvania, United States
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I checked in 8/7/13. 5 minutes after check in, an employee walked into my room while I was in the bathroom yelling not to come in right now. Room 114 had no lock on the ground floor window and had obviously been broken into(pry marks around screen). The windows themselves have no locks, only the screens. The safes in the rooms do not work,( I saw 3 friends rooms). Only one person staffing the hotel night and day, and these were young girls who were never at the front desk. The hot tub has been non functional for some time. Butts everywhere outside of building.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank dockep

Travelers are raving about these Davenport hotels

Rutland
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We had never heard of this brand nor hotel when we booked it. It was more than we expected. We stayed 2 nights and the staff we encountered were very friendly, going above and beyond. They didn't have us in the right room and quickly fixed that. The rooms were very clean, beautiful and huge. I would highly recommend them to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kimberly W
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed here for a wedding, the entire room was filthy, it doesn't look like they have gotten a vacuum cleaner within 2 feet of any of the walls. The shower curtain was absolutely disgusting. (Which was supposed to be white by the way). As were all the linens. Probably not the best color choice since they clearly have no concept of what clean is. I would not recommend this property to anyone ever.

• Stayed August 2013
Dwight, Illinois
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I stayed at a GrandStay in Madison recently and it was wonderful, this one is definitely in need of better Management. The room was a little shabby and in need of a good cleaning. The beds were comfortable, but that was the best I could say. The breakfast in the morning had minimal choices and was in need of attendance. The Hotel was full and it really needed to be better supplied with food - when they ran out of something like milk or yogurt, it took forever for them to bring a few more cartons. The person keeping the breakfast bar supplied was the same person that was checking people out and in between his smoke breaks he would show back up and multi-task. I think another staff member and a little more professionalism is needed. Disappointed with this one.

Room Tip: No elevators - if you have a lot of luggage it's up to you to lift and tote! Those luggage cart...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Winneconne, WI
Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Nothing to exciting to report on this hotel. We checked in at 10:30pm and were gone by 9:00am the next morning. We got the $59 rate which is why we stayed. The hotel had the standard breakfast for the lower priced hotels. We didn't have any concerns or problems with cleanliness like others have experienced. It actually has nice decorations in the lobby and breakfast area.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Marion, Iowa
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The hotel is located just off interstate 80 and Brady Street which made access very easy into Davenport and back onto the Highway. We were staying for the Bix so travel downtown was easy from this location. Check in was not very organized. I was given a key to a room that was already occupied 2 different times before finding a room that wasn't. That is a little strange to be given a key and when you open the door see someone is already in the room. Once was a mistake but twice just showed real confusion on the part of the hotel. Pool was nice, kids enjoyed it. Breakfast was good as well. The hotel did allow pets but charges extra, something I did not see. The parking was very close to the rooms which made unloading easy. I'd stay here again on a short term basis.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family