“Bugs!”

Ranked #19 of 26 Hotels in Davenport
Johnston, Iowa
“Bugs!”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

It was our anniversary, so I booked a suite online. We arrived to our suite, turned on the heat, and within five minutes we saw the first box-elder bug. We smushed it and left to get some food. Went we returned, two more had appeared. We thought "oh, must be the heat" even though it was January outside - our room heater was very warm. We got in the whirlpool to relax, but one joined us in the tub within minutes, which really killed the relaxing. We watched TV and tried to ignore the bugs, but by then we'd killed 6. We finally decided on bed. My husband reached to turn out the light - 4 live ones were in the shade! In looking for more tissues, he discovered a pile of dead ones behind the nightstand. At 2am, with no sleep, and terrified of waking up covered in bugs, we ran for it.

I told the clerk and, rather than call the 800 number from my reservation, she told me she was sorry and we might find a place 'up the street'. I asked about a manager - no dice. Not only was none available, but she wasn't going to call her. I finally asked for our reservation and called the 800 number myself. We were quickly relocated to the Best Western, after the operator called our hotel to explain to the clerk how hotels.com reservations work.

On the other hand, the Best Western was great! They took us even in the middle of the night. We waited in the lobby for a little while, enjoyed some TV, and then were given our room number and a map. How thoughtful. The room was get and the rest is history.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cumulonimbus

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We needed a place to stay while relocating here. It has been 6 days so far and counting and we are very pleased. $50 per night, $55 on weekends. Very friendly staff. Our room has a king bed, small fridge, large lounging chair and ottoman, desk with a straight back padded chair, 4 drawer dresser, rather small flat screen TV, ironing board and iron. I understand we can get a microwave but we have used the one in the kitchen area of the lobby. This doesn't match with what the web site says - sofa isn't here. But we are happy with the chair. We can see things have been remodeled recently. There are still a few old TVs for sale in the lobby. And they are selling the old comforters. Everything in our room is clean, nice white fluffy linens and comfy bed. Sink is outside the toilet/tub room. Water pressure is good and water stays hot. The lobby is very nice - good fireplace and leather sofa and chairs - lodge decor. Breakfast area has waffle maker. There is hot biscuits and sausage gravy, cereal, pastries, yogurt but no eggs or meat. Coffee, hot cocoa and tea are available all day. NOTE - there is no elevator, only stairs. We are on the first floor near the lobby and haven't heard any noise anywhere. The pool is closed. We did use the business center. And there is free wireless. Three vending machines that are high priced. Overall we are pleased.

Room Tip: We are near the lobby and facing the parking lot. No noise here!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Marshalltown, Iowa
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Very good staff , nice room , good food for morning meal. Good location to find things to do .
Lobby is very nice.
This was our at least are 10th time staying at this motel. We always meet at Christmas time to be withfamily members.

Room Tip: Have to take steps to 2nd floor.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed January 8, 2013

We had a family gathering at the hotel. It was a very comfortable stay overnight. My check in was very easy, the staff was more than accomodating. The rooms were very clean and were in good repair.The rooms had brand new HD flatscreen TV's. The ONLY gripe I have is that the lobby was full of used TV's and looked like a garage sale.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 15, 2012 via mobile

I have no real issues with this place. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if I were in the area. Staff was great, room was clean, easy access to interstate. Only small complaint is that there wasn't an iron or ironing board in the room.

• Stayed September 2012
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for over a month and i gotta say what a great place, not only is the lobby beautiful but the whole place including the rooms are kept up nicely. Housekeepers always made sure i was well accomadated. And where very nice lady's. Front desk attendant where always there when i needed even at 2 am in the morning. I never had a problem my whole stay. The hotel was always clean and quit. There is a washer and dryer on site that was only 1 dollar to wash and a 1 to dry cheaper than any other place ive stayed before and it was all in doors with a folding table. Breakfast in the morning was always on time and warm. Love the fact that they had plenty variety. And i love the fact that they arent even thru with updating the place. Pool was always nice and warm for me and my little one. Staff was so kind and caring with my little boy. Every morning the front desk attendant called me for a wake up call, unlike most places. Love the fact that there was always coffee, tea, and hot choclate available. I REALLY GOTTA SAY THESE PEOPLE ARE AMAZING AT WHAT THEY DO. I HAVE NEVER FELT SO AT HOME IN A HOTEL BEFORE. THANK YOU TO ALL WHO ACCOMADATED ME WHILE MY STAY!!!!

Room Tip: WhirlPool Rooms!!!!!!!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I have been staying here for 2 weeks and the care and concern of All the staff has been amazing. Even when they seem busy they take the time to help with anything that I needed. Kid friendly, always cheerful. Housekeepers do a wonderful job in keeping the entire hotel clean. Front desk staff are so kind and helpful. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family