“Lots of Class” 5 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Davenport
“Lots of Class”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

Classy downtown hotel with lots of history. We love the lobby bar and Ann Marie makes a fantastic mojito. The martini bar and bowling alley in the basement is fun. Several brew pubs and other restaurants have opened within walking distance over the past few years making the location very desirable. We've stayed twice and will again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Ken K,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us, regarding your experience at the hotel. I will be sure to share your comments regarding Ann Marie. Our team prides it's self on providing a memorable guests experience.

I look forward to seeing you as our guests again very soon.

Deanna Jensen

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Bettendorf
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed here New Year's Eve. This is a beautifully refurbished hotel. The rooms are lovely, and the lounge- bar area is fantastic, with great service all around. Have eaten at the restaurant previously, which is good. This time we were there for a wedding reception. They did a fantastic job with that.

Room Tip: We had a corner room which made it larger.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Deb E,

Thank you for spending New Years Eve at the hotel and ringing in the new year with us. We appreciate your comments and feedback. We hope you enjoyed your time at the reception you were attending in the Gold Room. What a great way to the end the year!

We look forward to your next visit.

Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is a brilliant hotel. The staff is welcoming, expert. Everything was comfortable, clean, quiet, very classy, very romantic. Huge, huge bed. Loved the pool, too, which I had all to myself for an after-dinner swim. In-room coffee is excellent, huge walk-in shower, and - for fun - a TV in the bathroom mirror! I would come back here in a heartbeat when I feel the need for some elegant pampering. Well-done, just well-done.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear jojofrance2009,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. I was delighted to hear your feedback on our beds. The mattresses that we have here in the hotel, are very comfortable. This tends to be one of our guests biggest compliments, besides the guest rooms.

I hope that you get the opportunity to visit us again very soon and enjoy the flat screen in our bathrooms on your next visit.

Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013 via mobile

We actually live in the Quad Cities & decided to stay here, since we heard it was a very nice renovated hotel. Our first impression when we checked in was that it was very nice, but that changed when we got to the room. It was pretty small compared to other rooms at other Marriotts that we have stayed in. I did ask for an upgrade when I checked in, since we normally do since we are Gold Elite members. I was told by the front desk lady that since I booked my room with the govt. rate, I would have to pay extra for an upgrade, which didn't sound right to me. She did give me a room with a better view, from her point of view, but it wasn't a good view at best. We checked out after one night & reserved it for four nights, so what does that tell you!

I do have to say that we ate at the restaurant & the food was really good! Our waitress was very professional & polite, but they seemed short staffed, since she was waiting on several people at once.

We rarely give a bad review & I hardly ever give a Marriott two stars, but this hotel didn't live up to the hype. I wouldn't recommend this hotel based on my experience, but it seems popular to other travelers.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bighouse0820
Dear Bighouse0820,

Please accept my sincerest apologies with regards to your recent visit to the hotel. The Hotel Blackhawk prides it self on providing an excellent guest experience. I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations during your visit.

I did share your comments with our appropriate manager's and I have every confidence that they will address your concerns, to ensure that our team members are creating the excellent guest experiece that you, our guest, would expect from us.

If I can do anything for you on your next visit, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I look forward to meeting you in the future.

Urbandale, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

We stayed at this beautiful renovated Hotel for my birthday. Room was nice and spacious however we could not plug our computer into the outlet as it was not working. The maintenance man brought up a drop cord and we plugged it in at a different outlet. All of the staff were very friendly. We would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Pamela K,

Happy belated birthday! Thank you for choosing Hotel Blackhawk to celebrate this special day! Please keep us in mind for other special events. The hotel is the perfect place to celebrate these occasions.

I hope to see you again very soon. We appreciate your feedback.

New York, NY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

this is a recently renovated and fairly well-maintained classic “four diamond” hotel with lovely rooms, but the property is severely understaffed and being run by a bunch of amateurs. everybody is very nice and well meaning, but they’re either poorly trained or have no conception of what it means to provide proper customer service…. and no idea of what customers might expect from a “four diamond" property.

in my experience, the housekeeping staff at “four diamond” properties clean the dust bunnies from the perimeter of each guest room, replace the toiletries and towels daily and management doesn't shout from the rafters at every opportunity, "hey, we’re a four diamond property... we couldn’t possibly be doing anything wrong.”

the hotel is part of marriott’s boutique “autograph" collection, but my guess is that they probably earned the designation using an autopen.

along with three others, i dined at their full service upscale restaurant, bix bistro. the prices are much like you might find in new york, chicago or los angeles, yet every dish completely missed the mark. an endless parade of pretentious and tasteless dishes, with a heavy dose of frou frou. and one in our party received his meal after most of us had already finished ours. and i’m hesitant to quote that old joke about bad food, but the food here is terrible… and the portions are so small! hey, look, if you’re going to charge thirty bucks a plate for a single entree, put more than four ounces of something - anything - on the plate. we were all starving afterwards… and we paid nearly $200 with tip!

(much better food can be had more affordably at duck city across the street…. which is ironic, since it’s generally considered to be a rather posh place one goes to only on an expense account of for a special occasion. duck city is highly recommended!)

and now, back to the blackhawk, where we encountered food challenges throughout the hotel. the staff at their “quick serve” coffee/sandwich shop (with the silly name that's too clever by half) are completely clueless… again, they’re very nice and well meaning, but they have no idea what they’re doing! i went in one late morning for a visit to their salad bar… they rang me up and then i waited more than ten minutes while somebody went into the kitchen to fetch utensils and implements (tongs, serving spoons). they had set the salad bar up, but never bothered to bring any utensils out so that customers could take what was there and put it on their plates. and the staff seemed unaware that a wait of ten minutes would pose an inconvenience to their dining patrons. i finally had to ask if they had any plastic forks or spoons that they could use temporarily just so i could get on my way. this, too, had never occurred to them.

special requests? they don’t handle those very well at the blackhawk hotel.

medium well meat? it arrives well done.

room service?

the food arrives late and everything is at room temperature, including beverages.

did housekeeping forget to leave towels in your room?

no problem, we’ll deliver them while you’re out at dinner. (except that they don't.)

security?

virtually nonexistent… we entered the property three times after midnight and did not see a single human being… not even at the front desk. (incidentally, the entrance that is most convenient for guests is locked at night… the entrance from the parking lot. guests must walk to the side of the hotel and use a pedestrian entrance… no mean feat when it’s 12 degrees out.)

laundry?

well, here they’ve completely outdone themselves!

first of all, regardless of what you give them, it all comes back as dry cleaning, even if you requested laundered garments. secondly, they don’t deliver laundry to your guest room… and, frankly, they are the only hotel i’ve ever stayed in that doesn’t. from the hilton garden inn to the four seasons, the laundry always gets delivered up to your room and gets placed in the closet or at the foot of the bed.

here, at the “four diamond” blackhawk hotel in davenport iowa, they place a haphazardly cut piece of copy paper with a poorly worded announcement outside your door, thus indicating that nobody is inside your guest room at the moment and if you happen to be thief with mischief on your mind, this might be a good place to start. (and this error in judgment could be devastating at the blackhawk, since they have virtually no security at the hotel.) in any case, wouldn’t it have made more sense to place the paper under the door, where most guests would expect to receive notices from the hotel? that’s what they did when my bill arrived a few days later, so clearly they are familiar with this technique. two of us had laundry done over the course of a six day stay and one of us did not see the notice at all.

and what does this notice say? it states that you should “come down at your convenience to retrieve your dry cleaning.” OK, but come down where? the note didn't say. so i headed to the front desk, where i encountered six guests checking in and only one check-in agent working. i waited patiently, but somebody behind me apparently grew tired of waiting and bounded in front of me to pick up his laundry. the agent simply accommodated him, rather than saying that she would be right with him after she helped the other guests who were waiting ten minutes before he arrived.

turns out the laundry isn’t at the front desk at all, but in some sort of unstaffed utility room near the back entrance to the hotel (adjacent to the parking lot). how was one to know, i asked? oh, no problem, they said, just come down and ask and we’ll get it for you! yes, i said… but how is a guest supposed to know where to go? oh, just ask the bellman; he'll get the laundry for you! well, OK then, where does it say to ask the bellman? and where would one find a bellman? there is, after all, no bell desk, no sign that says “bellman," no sign that says “package" or “laundry" pick up. and i hadn’t seen a bellman in my entire time at the hotel, i explained.

they corrected me… oh, yes, sir, the bell desk is right over here by the entrance from the parking lot. they pointed to a lectern adjacent to the door. i explained that i assumed that was the doorman’s post, as all i had ever seen there was a fellow greeting guests as they arrived. i hadn’t seen any bellmen.

in any event, all i was attempting to do was to politely make the suggestion that they may wish to reconsider their laundry delivery policy. instead, i got a lecture about how i was the very first guest to have a concern about this. and that it really is no problem whatsoever for most people… you just come down and ask for your laundry!

well, for starters, the hotel’s public spaces - including the lobby and the restaurants - are almost completely unheated. at any given time, it could be 40 or maybe 50 degrees in there on a good day. and that alone is a pretty darn good reason why laundry should be delivered to your room. and if you’e not going to do that, then please make it clear where you’d like me to go to “retrieve” it. also, i clearly was not the first person to have a concern about this... my colleague was similarly inconvenienced a day earlier... something i found out only as he was standing there listening to this kafka-esque conversation unfold. i suspect there are many others.

and, by the way, while you’re telling me why not delivering laundry is such a good idea, please refrain from stating that - for security purposes - nobody is allowed access to my room. in the first place, that simply is not true. (how does my room get made up if your employees are not allowed to enter?) in the second place, it reflects poorly on your property… are you suggesting that your staff is so untrustworthy, that all of them have been denied access to guest rooms even when their job responsibilities would normally require them to enter?

also, it would be best if you didn’t repeat endlessly that this is a “four diamond property” and "the finest hotel in davenport.” it grows tired very quickly, especially if you don't deliver on the implied promise inherent in the claim. and even if it has been declared a four diamond property, maybe you should look more closely… perhaps you will discover that some of those diamonds are actually cubic zirconias.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank UKstages
Dear UKstages,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experence at Hotel Blackhawk. We highly value our guest's perceptions of their experience here, whether positive or negative. It is only through receiving candid observations from our guests like yourself, that we can achieve our objective of providing the best hotel experience in the Quad Cities region.

I was disappointed to learn of your experience at the Hotel. Superior service, friendliness and delivering a consistent product are all critical elements of our business. Your feedback has been forwarded your comments to the appropriate department managers and we have discussed your concerns in full detail at this past weeks staff meeting. I am confident that the appropriate measures will be taken to correct your concerns in the future.

Once again, thank you for your helpful comments. They truly are important to us. I hope you visit us again soon, and allow us the opportunity to provide the quality experience you expect from us.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2013

Right in the heart of corn country, it's a NY, DC or Chicago hotel, without the attitude. Totally renovated a few years ago, it has a stunning cathedral-height lobby that seamlessly opens to the Bix's Bistro lounge/restaurant, an in-lobby bar, and the coffee shop "Beignet Done That".

The Blackhawk was built in 1915, when one of Davenport's favorite sons, jazz icon Bix Beiderbecke was a kid, hence the paeans to New Orleans jazz and Bix himself. If you let your imagination go, you might expect to see Jay Gatsby strolling through the lobby.

Our room, although quite small, made up for size with luxury, including what must have been about a million-count sheets, three telephones, a tv in the bathroom mirror, and, well you know....

We dined and breakfasted in Bix's Bistro; dinner was excellent and nicely presented, but breakfast was very ordinary. The only thing missing (while Bix's is great for what it is) is a fine-dining white tablecloth restaurant with a known chef and continental menu.

Service is simply incredible. Once while driving through Davenport, I stopped to show a friend the lobby, and bet him a dollar we'd be greeted by at least three employees just walking through. I won; in fact the count was four, in less than ten minutes!

Located adjacent to the Adler Theater, you can go to a show or concert without going outdoors.

Something new: they've hooked up with Marriott, (without becoming part of the chain, wo they retain their unique identity) so you can both earn and use Marriott frequent user points.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dicksdeli
Tim H, SVP of Sales & Marketing at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Dear dicksdeli,

Thank you very much for your review! We are honored that you chose to stay at Hotel Blackhawk during your time spent in the Quad Cities. We truly appreciate the time that you took to tell TripAdvisor about your experience with us. We are thrilled to have joined the Marriott family as well, and allow our guests to experience the benefits that Marriott offers.

We appreciate your candid comments about the Bix Bistro. We are always looking to continue to approve and we can only do that by the comments of our guests.

At Hotel Blackhawk, we strive to create unique and memorable experiences for each of our guests. It sounds like we were successful in creating that for you, and we could not be happier. Again, thank you. I will be sure to pass your kind words along to all of our team. Next time you stop by the lobby for a bet, bet a dinner at the Bix Bistro! We know we won’t let you down. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you and your friends back to the hotel again soon.

Tim Heim
Senior Vice President of Sales & Marketing
Also consider these accommodations in or near Davenport
Hampton Inn Davenport
Hampton Inn Davenport
#2 of 25 in Davenport
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Davenport
Radisson Quad City Plaza Hotel
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Moline
Homewood Suites by Hilton Davenport
Hilton Garden Inn Bettendorf / Quad Cities

Been to Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!