“Valentine's Day disaster”

Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Davenport
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This was our second stay at the hotel. And the difference in simple management issues from a year ago is alarming. We spent two nights at the Blackhawk, the night before and the night of Valentine's Day. We are members of their iPrefer program which includes great add ons to the reservation, if you can actually receive them. The iPrefer bonuses right now are a bottle of wine and a $25 gift certificate to the spa in the hotel. Someone brought us a bottle of wine after we checked in but we had no wine glasses in our room. We never received the $25 spa gift certificate until I could identify exactly where it was on the iPrefer website the next day after check in. But the most incredible lack of service came after we had spent the morning and afternoon of Valentine's Day out sightseeing only to return to our room after 3:00 pm to find the bed still unmade, the trash full and no clean towels. I called the front desk to ask about getting our room made up and was told by Samantha that they were too busy with Valentine's Day and then asked me if I had spent the night because often they don't get to rooms if guests stay more than one night. I asked if someone was available to make our bed to which she responded probably not but someone could bring us some towels. The ice machine on the sixth floor is broken and it appears to have been broken for a long time. The only ice available is from room service and they were unbelievably rude after I was transferred there from the front desk. They would not believe me that the ice machine was broken. Somewhere in the mix of all of this Roxanne from housekeeping came to our door with a bucket of ice and told me she had just started her shift. When I explained what happened she bent over backwards to get our room in shipshape. Her boss Jacob also assisted her and apologized profusely for the mix up. He offered us drinks in the lobby bar which we accepted while our room was getting ready. When we got to the bar it was understaffed and teaming with people waiting for drinks. A young man finally assisted me but the gin my husband wanted was almost empty and he told me he did not have the key to get another bottle. So he poured a half a shot of gin in the glass and told me that was all I would get until someone let him into the supply room. Our room was finally clean a little before 6:00 pm with extra touches Roxanne had gone to so much trouble to do. Two tulips on the bed and some chocolates. Thank you Roxanne! The Blackhawk needs another ten of you!

Breakfast of Biscuits and Gravy at the Bix the last day was stone cold. And when we checked out the breakfast credit we were supposed to receive with our room was not credited to the bill. For either morning we ate there. Mike at the front desk told me if you eat breakfast after 10:00 am it is automatically billed as lunch. Even though on the website it clearly states breakfast is served until 10:30 am. Mike is another wonderful Blackhawk employee. He worked with someone in the back to credit my account for the breakfast charges but then I noticed we had been billed for 3 Red Bulls from the in room mini-bar that we never drank. All in all it took over a half an hour to check out and I am still not sure I was billed the correct amount.

Also the elevators are very frustrating. My sister was staying on the floor above me in a room booked to me and I could not go to the 7th floor with the key I had for my room on the 6th floor. During the time we were waiting to have our room cleaned we tried and utterly failed to connect with my sister waiting for me one floor above, Jacob again in his extremely helpful way went and got my sister and brought her to me so we could go to her room that was in my name. Could you not at least give me a key to access all of the rooms I am paying for?

This is a beautiful hotel. But the blemishes really tarnish the sparkle. It's such a mix of good and awful it's hards to even give it a rating. But my measure of how well a hotel is run is by how it performs at peak times. And this Valentine's Day they failed miserably.

Room Tip: Call the hotel to get the best room.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank takemeout15
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear takemeout15,

Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Blackhawk on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you coming back as a repeat guest. I am disappointed to hear of your experience. Our iPrefer program offers wonderful amenities, although if proper glassware and convenience for the guest is not available, it defeats the purpose of receiving special treatment. I apologize for the miscommunication with this, and I thank you for pointing it out.

Also, thank you for bringing your issues with Housekeeping, Front Desk, and Bix Bistro to our attention. It is only through candid feedback like yours that we are able to identify areas in the hotel that are aiding in the creation of a negative experience for our guests. Please know that I have spoken with each department individually based on your information, and the issues that you experienced are being taken care of.

It is unfortunate that you had to experience these issues, but again, we truly appreciate you taking the time to let us know about them. Some of the things that you mentioned are completely unacceptable. At Hotel Blackhawk, we strive to create a positive and unique experience for each of our guests. I am sorry that we were not successful in providing that experience for you. I hope that you will consider giving us another chance to prove how important your business is to us.

Thank you for pointing out the positive aspects of your stay as well. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to the team members that you mentioned. I agree; it does not matter how beautiful a hotel is if our guests are unhappy. I cannot thank you enough for speaking up about your concerns. I can assure you that each issue mentioned will be taken care of immediately.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if there is anything that I can do for you.
I will also be reaching out to you personally to extend my apologies and do what I can to make this right.

Thank you again for your review.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

One of my best friends had her wedding here. I was standing up in the wedding so I had to be there for 3 days and was worried about the expense since the hotel is so nice. Granted we had a group rate, but it was really affordable and a great experience. The staff is wonderful and the special amenities make you (almost) feel like you're staying in downtown Chicago. I have to also say, they have these delicious bacon, egg and cheese biscuits that you can get any pretty much any time of day from room service...and they're amazing.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Katherine C

Dear Katherine C,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Blackhawk. We appreciate you taking the time to write us a review on TripAdvisor. Your comparison to Downtown Chicago hotels is quite flattering. With our renovation, we wanted to create a property unlike any in the area, and we thank you for your kind words. I agree; the breakfast sandwiches are delicious! I will be sure to pass along your compliments to our team members.

Thank you again for your review.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a one night get-away - an early Valentine's day treat. We booked through Sniqueaway at a $60.00 discount. We had a marvelous time! The rooms had extra special amenities including well stocked snacks and drinks that you purchase on the honor system. There is a TV IN the bathroom mirror and luxurious robes in the closet. The shower is huge with glass doors. The rooms are super clean and very hip and wonderfully comfortable. The lobby, bar, coffee shop and bistro are all welcoming and inviting places to just hang out. The staff knows how to make a great martini. We had a lot of fun bowling downstairs and the exercise room was clean and well equipped for our Saturday morning workout. We ate at Antonellas-a restaurant about 1/2 block away for dinner and had excellent Italian fare. Did I mention the piping hot beignets....to die for... with the Starbucks coffee in the coffee shop Saturday morning? We will go back again and again since we only live 20 miles away. It was a great treat! Hope Sniqueaway offers discounts at this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Dear dananddonna3,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Blackhawk. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We are honored that you and your husband chose to stay with us for your early Valentine's Day get-away. I agree, the Martini's in Bix Bistro are wonderful and I'm thrilled that you were able to enjoy all of the amenities we have to offer. I'm glad that you were able to find one of our great deals through Sniqueaway! At Hotel Blackhawk we strive to provide a unique and satisfying experience for each of our guests, and it is wonderful to know that we were able to do that you for you and your husband. I will be sure to share all of your kind words with our team members.

We look forward to seeing you back at Hotel Blackhawk very soon.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

We got there on jan 21 and left jan 22. I took my girllfriend here for her birthday and we like to do a few overnight getaways in the winter. Upon arrival we were greeted to a warm reception at the front desk, the lady upgraded us to a king bed. Our room what can i say it was the best, what a nice grand hotel we took advantage of the pool and hot tub then went and enjoyed a couple drinks at bix bistro and decided to grab a bight to eat. This is where we made our mistake, everyone at biix was dressed up and my girlfriend and i were not we were in jeans and t-shirts. The older lady that was managing bix was less than impressed with us. She handed out breakfast coupons to everyone at the bar but us. Then she brought us some kind of french appitizer and i thought it was finger food the lady quickley informed me rather loudly ''WE DO HAVE SILVERWARE'' I quickley said i was sorry.. We ended up just grabbing a couple burgers they were really good, no wait they were awsome, then the lady came up and ask us real arrogentley hows the burgers, At this point we finished up our meal, cut our evening short went back to our room. I really wish i could give a 5 star rating because everything was perfect all the staff from the maids to the front desk great people.. I would recomend the hotel its everything it claims to be and more, stay out of bix bistro though unless your in a suit. I think they should have a dress code if thats how it is instead of being rude to casuel dressed folks.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Dear Dave P,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Blackhawk. We are honored that you chose to stay with us to celebrate your girlfriend's birthday. Winter getaways are always nice. I'm glad to hear that you were welcomed appropriately upon arrival, and that we were able to upgrade you to a Deluxe Room! Enjoying our pool and hot tub are always a great addition to any relaxing getaway, and I'm thrilled that you were able to experience them. Stating that Hotel Blackhawk is one of the nicest places that you've stayed is truly a rewarding compliment- Thank you.

I am disappointed to hear of your experience in Bix Bistro. Please know that I will be addressing this issue with the appropriate team members. Feeling like you need to present yourself a certain way to be able to enjoy Bix Bistro is unacceptable, and I am very sorry that you felt that way. At Hotel Blackhawk, we appreciate each person that comes through our doors. We strive to ensure that each of our guests leave satisfied with their experience. It is only through feedback like yours that we are able to make necessary adjustments in order to continue to be the best that we can be for our guests.

Again, thank you for your review. Your business is important to us, and I truly appreciate your willingness to share your experience on TripAdvisor. If there is anything that I can do for you, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hotel Blackhawk again.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

My wife and I arranged to host a small holiday party at Blackhawk Bowl and Martini Lounge in the lower level of the Hotel Blackhawk. Sarah in the sales department was very helpful in arranging the room rental and catering services. We used the VIP lounge, which has two lanes of bowling, a pool table, and a few tables to sit and chat. This space was the perfect size for our party (approximately 20 guests) and the staff did allow us to temporarily spill over to the lower bowling lanes before other customers began to show up. Great service by the bar staff and bowling staff. If you are going to order food, I would advise against ordering pizza and sliders, as they get cold quickly. The mushrooms, mozzarella sticks, and chicken wings were served buffet style and stayed warm throughout the event.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear fluidkarma,
Thank you for choosing Blackhawk Bowl & Martini Lounge as the location of your holiday party. We are honored that you chose us. We appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience. The VIP area of Blackhawk Bowl is perfect for creating a private and intimate atmosphere for any gathering. We are thrilled to hear about the outstanding customer service that you received. Hotel Blackhawk is extremely fortunate to have an amenity like Blackhawk Bowl & Martini Lounge. We're glad that you enjoyed it!

Thanks again for your feedback. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed here for one night while watching the bald eagles in the quad cities. I could not believe how great of a place this was. What a find. The rooms were beautiful for the price and the common areas wonderful, too. We loved the bar and the restaurant where we had a great Jazz brunch. Everything in this hotel was fantastic. I was greatly impressed by the consistently helpful and friendly staff that frequently went the extra mile. I cannot remember a recent hotel experience where I have found such wonderful and dedicated staff. Bravo!!!! For example, I lost my glove. The hotel called me after my trip and sent it back to me. I wish Davenport was closer so I could stay here more often. Will be back!

3  Thank danielswiss64
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear danielswiss64,
Thank you for staying with us during your Bald Eagle watching adventure. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. Your compliments about the hotel and our staff are very kind, and I will be sure to share your review with our team members. We're glad that you had a chance to experience our award winning Jazz Brunch in Bix Bistro. Going the extra mile to provide an extraordinary experience for our guests is something that we pride ourselves on, and I’m thrilled that we were able to create that unique expereince for you during your time spent with us.

Thanks again, and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We recently stayed at Hotel Blackhawk for a weekend getaway. The hotel website said it had undergone a major renovation, and it really showed. My reservation was for a standard room, but at check in I asked if any other rooms were available and the clerk upgraded me to a king! The room was modern, large and very clean.The bathroom was huge and spotless!! There is a cool bowling ally and bar on the lower level, make sure to check it out although it seems like only an adult place so don't bring kids. I don't know about other hotels in the area but it seems this would be the best place to stay.

Room Tip: if you like a room with view make sure to ask, also make a reservation for the Sunday brunch or it c...

Dear merush,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Blackhawk, and thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that we were able to get you an upgrade. We always try to upgrade all of our guests if we have the availability. Blackhawk Bowl & Martini Lounge is definitely a unique amenity that we are very fortunate to have. Again, thank you for your comments. We hope to see you back at the hotel very soon.

Tim Heim

Also consider these accommodations in or near Davenport
The Current Iowa, Autograph Collection
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Davenport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Davenport
3 mi away
Radisson on John Deere Commons

Been to Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!