“luxury hotel”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Davenport
Chicago, Illinois
“luxury hotel”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We recently stayed at Hotel Blackhawk for a weekend getaway. The hotel website said it had undergone a major renovation, and it really showed. My reservation was for a standard room, but at check in I asked if any other rooms were available and the clerk upgraded me to a king! The room was modern, large and very clean.The bathroom was huge and spotless!! There is a cool bowling ally and bar on the lower level, make sure to check it out although it seems like only an adult place so don't bring kids. I don't know about other hotels in the area but it seems this would be the best place to stay.

Room Tip: if you like a room with view make sure to ask, also make a reservation for the Sunday brunch or it c...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear merush,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Blackhawk, and thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience on TripAdvisor. I'm glad that we were able to get you an upgrade. We always try to upgrade all of our guests if we have the availability. Blackhawk Bowl & Martini Lounge is definitely a unique amenity that we are very fortunate to have. Again, thank you for your comments. We hope to see you back at the hotel very soon.

Tim Heim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Clinton, Iowa
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Hotel Blackhawk is a classy place to stay! Customer service was great, our room was clean and upscale, even the ice cubes are retro size. Beds were comfortable, the wifi was easy to connect, the pool and hot tub were fun with a good view.

Room Tip: River view rooms are the best!
1 Thank randygi
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 22, 2013
Dear randygi,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Blackhawk, and thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We are thrilled to hear such positive feedback. Thank you for complimenting our Customer Service. Also, great tip! The view of the Mississippi River from the hotel is breathtaking.

Again, thank you for your comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

cedar rapids,ia
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Blackhawk for a get-away weekend. I have wanted to stay here since friends and co-workers have informed of how nice the hotel has been renovated. I was not disappointed with the renovations and updates that have been made!

The rooms were very well appointed and a little quirky (to be expected in a historic hotel). The room had a comfortable king sized bed, a large flat screen TV, oversized desk area, chaise lounge and a minibar/fridge/radar-range. The bathroom had a separate tub and shower, and a feature that I hadn't seen before, a in-vanity mirror. I had a corner room that looked out toward Palmer College and Central High School. It was fun watching the trains go through about a block away, but hotel has been soundproofed so you hear nothing more than a low rumble.

I thought that one of this hotel's strong points was the friendliness and eagerness of the staff to assist you, but were not in your face about it. Everyone from the front desk to the bellhops and housekeepers asked how my stay was going, and told me to let them know if I needed anything. I even had a couple of "wow moments with the customer service". First of all in making small talk to the front desk attendant upon check in, she picked up on an interest of mine and put me in a room that she thought would peak that interest. I also had the restaurant staff go out of their way to make a hot chocolate for me, even after the coffee shop had closed! This type of service is not evident in most hotel properties today.

The public areas of the hotel have been renovated to their original glory and are well appointed as well. Parking is in a free lot next to the hotel, which can fill up if there is an event at the hotel or the convention center. Sadly, the pool was closed for regular maintenance when I stayed (but we could access the pool at the Radisson a block away with our room key).

While not major deals, a couple of things that guests could find annoying with their stay:
-the room I stayed in had only a couple of electrical outlets. Today's traveler with their many electronics might find this troublesome.
-I applaud the fact that the hotel takes security very seriously, but I had trouble at first in using the card reader to access my room floor in the elevator. Thankfully a bellhop (and a guest) showed me how to use it.

While my stay was a Christmas gift, I would stay at the Blackhawk again if given the opportunity. I was absolutely wowed by well appointed facilities and the customer service that was provided by the staff!

Room Tip: Had one of the staff members show me around the hotel and explain it's history. In case people w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear mahlerssecond,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Blackhawk during your recent weekend get-away, and thank you very much for your review. We are thrilled to hear such positive feedback! I will be sure to share your kind comments with all of our team members. It is wonderful when guests comment on the Customer Service that they experience at our hotel, especially when "wow" moments are described. We truly appreciate you taking the time to share that. At Hotel Blackhawk, we do our best to create an exceptional experience for each of our guests. It sounds like we have achieved this for you, and we could not be happier.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back very soon.

Pleasant Hill, Iowa
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I chose to stay here as there is quite a lack of nice hotels in the Quad Cities area, and I was not disappointed. The room was extremely clean and the bed was comfortable. It was a little confusing upon arriving at the hotel through the entrance that is on the parking lot, I assumed the desk right there was the check-in desk, though the lady was nice enough to show me the way. I read something about valet, but didn't see anything along those lines. The bellman was nice and told me a little about the hotel and how the key system worked. I like the idea of having secured floors.

The bowling alley in the basement seemed nice, but I didn't stop for a drink as there was a party wrapping up, and I was getting looks like I didn't belong there, though the bartender upstairs did tell me that it was open to everyone at 9pm. The main level bar does have a great drink selection, prices are a little high, but that's to be expected in a full service hotel. The pour of scotch I received definitely justified the price of the drink.

I had breakfast is the coffee shop each morning, which also served starbucks (I honestly don't care either way), but the coffee was always good, and the staff was friendly.

All in all, this was a great hotel with wonderful and friendly staff, and tons of amenities.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear AudioGuy321,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Blackhawk during your time spent in the Quad Cities area. Also, thank you so much for your taking the time to write us a review on TripAdvisor. It is wonderful when we hear guests comment on our cleanliness, as that is something that is extremely important to us. The Blackhawk Bowl & Martini Lounge has had a lot of private Holiday Parties over the past few weeks. I'm glad that you were able to quench your thirst at the Bix Bistro bar, but you'll definitely have to check out the bowling alley during your next stay!

Thanks again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The hotel is so beautiful and the room was wonderful. The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom had a huge shower and a fabulous jacuzzi tub. The hotel was soon clean and comfortable. We will stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear J P,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Blackhawk, and thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to hear about your experience with us. At Hotel Blackhawk, cleanliness and comfort are two extremely important aspects, as we want our guests to experience all of the comforts of home while they are traveling. It sounds like we were able to achieve that, and we truly appreciate your feedback. Again, thank you for your time and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything that we can do for you.

Chicago
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed at the property Dec 31, 2012 for one night. This was our second stay at the hotel, each being for one night. We live about three hours away but have friends that we come to visit on occasion.

Last night we also purchased tickets to their New Year's Eve party in what they call the Gold Room. The party started at 7pm and went past midnight. Two tickets and a room reservation was $450. I'll start with the positives.

Someone obviously has invested some time and money on the property. The rooms are clean and well furnished although as someone else has previously mentioned a bit more work space would have been nice. Our last stay had a tub and shower in the room, this time was only a shower. I did request the same room type so I'm not sure why the change, maybe some have both and some don't. The property is nice, although on 1/1/13 most places inside looked to be closed.

The Party from the time we arrived, about 830pm, until about 1130 was a good experience. The food was well prepared and there was enough variety. It was an open bar aside from top-shelf and the bartenders worked quickly. There was a live band that wasn't bad, not exactly my choice of music but I understand they have to appeal to the masses.

Now on to some parts of our time there that were challenging.

After checking in and dropping off our belongings in the room we headed downstairs to the Bix Bistro bar to grab a drink and order an early dinner. The bartender addressed us fairly quickly as someone else was being served. After that party appeared to have their order completed my girlfriend was asked what she would like to drink, customary to ask the lady first, and her drink was quickly made. However instead of then asking me what I would like the bartender went back to the original group to fulfill an addition to their order. I wasn't helped for almost ten minutes.

Now I've read many reviews on this hotel on Trip Advisor to find if my observation was correct and I believe that it is. If you are under 40 and aren't dressed in a shirt and tie you are treated differently. I tried not to think that it was possible but this being our second stay and the second time we have experienced this confirmed it. Our previous stay we arrived at the Bistro for dinner and apparently $150 jeans and a polo shirt isn't good enough. At that time we waited for over 20 minutes for a waitress, I did not complain because my girlfriend didn't want to deal with it and chalked it up to a lousy wait staff. However twice in two stays is enough to voice my concern that guests are not treated the same. I saw 50+ year old men at the bar that were waited on with no hesitation, yet apparently wearing clothes for comfort during a three hour drive is not acceptable. Perhaps the front desk should inform guests that there is a dress code so that we can get our suits and dresses on before trying to buy a beer.

The food was above average but my steak tasted like it may have been a little past the serving date. It isn't enough to not eat but it did taste a little "off".

I'd say that the worst part was the time at the party from 1130 to just past midnight. At about 1130 I excused myself to use the men's room. On my way back through, where the desk was that was being used to confirm reservations for the party, there was a modest group of people standing around that had not been in the party all night. As I was moving through the crowd one man started slapping me on the back, walking alongside of me. He probably slapped me on the back six times before I had to give him a look to stop. He replied something along the lines of, "I thought we were having a good time". I kept walking without saying a word. I DO NOT appreciate being touched by a complete stranger who was obviously drunk and who was not at the party all night. In his crew was another guy who had some odd piercings in his face under his left eye. There were multiple metallic attachments to his face. The entire remainder of the evening these two guys with some of their other friends kept looking over at us.

I'd lay down everything I own that this party was crashed by this group. It really did ruin the night. When you spend $125 a ticket to have a good time and to avoid the drunk bar crowd but then get that crowd anyway it makes for an early night. I voiced my concern to the front desk in the morning but I was more or less given the brush off with an obligatory "I'm sorry" so I needed to write it for all to see.

There is NO excuse to allow people to crash a party. I'd have a hard time believing that a group this size would pay $125 per ticket for 30 minutes of time, but who knows, maybe they have more money than brains.

The hotel needs to either coach the staff on how to equally treat guests or inform the guests on what the expectations are at the reservation time. If this is the type of hotel that requires a shirt and tie it needs to make it known, this is Davenport, not some hot spot in Chicago or NY where you know what to expect and what's expected. One poor service experience could be chalked up that someone was simply having a bad day, two poor experiences might be coincidence, multiple reviews from guests do however indicate that there is a problem.

Room Tip: Rooms that are not adjoining may have more space but that could be my perception. The hotel is shap...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear unsung,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Blackhawk as your New Year's Eve destination. Also, thank you for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is extremely important, and it is only through candid observations such as yours that we are able to make Hotel Blackhawk the best that it can be. Thank you for your compliments on the property. Our ownership did a wonderful job with the renovations. Cleanliness is something that is crucial, and I thank you for your observations.

I would like to apologize about the service that you encountered at Bix Bistro. We were very fortunate to have a full restaurant, bar, and hotel throughout the entire evening on Monday. Going forward, we will be sure to monitor staffing to ensure quality service and timeliness for our guests. We pride ourselves on the customer service that we provide for every person that walks through our doors. There is not a required dress code for Bix Bistro. Every customer is of equal value to us.

Thank you also for mentioning that there were unwelcomed guests at the New Year's Eve event in the Gold Room. I'd like for you to know that our management staff was on hand throughout the evening and we continued to scan the room for anyone that may not have purchased a ticket. There was a group of guests who were asked to leave right around midnight, but it seems as though we caught them after your encounter, which is unfortunate. The fact that these individuals invaded your personal space is unacceptable. I agree, there is no excuse for party crashers, and they wore out their welcome rather quickly. Going forward, we will have extra security on hand at all private events to ensure that a similar issue does not reoccur.

I reached out to you personally via telephone today to discuss your concerns and thank you for your feedback. I hope that you received the voice message. You will receive your updated folio within the next few days. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Again, thank you for your review. We would be honored to welcome you back to Hotel Blackhawk in the future. I understand your concerns, and your business is very important to us. I am confident that your next visit will exceed your expectations.

We hope to see you again soon.

Quad Cities
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We booked a room for the Home For The Holidays special which included bowling (they have a martini bowling alley in basement) and a wonderful discount on dinner and room. The front desk was very inviting; they even upgraded us as a surprise. Our room was gorgeous - big but cozy, and a jacuzzi with a TV in the mirror. Our meal at the Hotel Bix Bistro was another surprise; Tim was a great waiter and we trusted him as he guided us through the menu. Nothing disappointed. By the way, the bowling alley is very cool.....blue lights and great martinis.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, December 24, 2012
Dear travelling-du0,

Thank you so much for your review, and thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Blackhawk on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to hear such positive feedback. Our Home for the Holidays Package was a hit this year, and we will be sure to offer it again next year. Hopefully you will come back and visit us again. We also have similar packages available throughout the year. At Hotel Blackhawk, we do our best to create an exceptional experience for each of our guests. It sounds like we have achieved this for you during your time spent with us, and we could not be happier. I will be sure to pass along your compliments about our staff.

Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you back at the hotel very soon.
Happy Holidays!

Tim Heim
Also consider these accommodations in or near Davenport
Radisson Quad City Plaza Hotel
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Davenport
Hampton Inn Davenport
Hampton Inn Davenport
#1 of 25 in Davenport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Davenport
Hilton Garden Inn Bettendorf / Quad Cities
Radisson on John Deere Commons

Been to Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!