“Will definitely return!”

Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Davenport
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I chose to stay here as there is quite a lack of nice hotels in the Quad Cities area, and I was not disappointed. The room was extremely clean and the bed was comfortable. It was a little confusing upon arriving at the hotel through the entrance that is on the parking lot, I assumed the desk right there was the check-in desk, though the lady was nice enough to show me the way. I read something about valet, but didn't see anything along those lines. The bellman was nice and told me a little about the hotel and how the key system worked. I like the idea of having secured floors.

The bowling alley in the basement seemed nice, but I didn't stop for a drink as there was a party wrapping up, and I was getting looks like I didn't belong there, though the bartender upstairs did tell me that it was open to everyone at 9pm. The main level bar does have a great drink selection, prices are a little high, but that's to be expected in a full service hotel. The pour of scotch I received definitely justified the price of the drink.

I had breakfast is the coffee shop each morning, which also served starbucks (I honestly don't care either way), but the coffee was always good, and the staff was friendly.

All in all, this was a great hotel with wonderful and friendly staff, and tons of amenities.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2013

Dear AudioGuy321,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Blackhawk during your time spent in the Quad Cities area. Also, thank you so much for your taking the time to write us a review on TripAdvisor. It is wonderful when we hear guests comment on our cleanliness, as that is something that is extremely important to us. The Blackhawk Bowl & Martini Lounge has had a lot of private Holiday Parties over the past few weeks. I'm glad that you were able to quench your thirst at the Bix Bistro bar, but you'll definitely have to check out the bowling alley during your next stay!

Thanks again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

The hotel is so beautiful and the room was wonderful. The bed was very comfortable, the bathroom had a huge shower and a fabulous jacuzzi tub. The hotel was soon clean and comfortable. We will stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded January 10, 2013

Dear J P,
Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Blackhawk, and thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to hear about your experience with us. At Hotel Blackhawk, cleanliness and comfort are two extremely important aspects, as we want our guests to experience all of the comforts of home while they are traveling. It sounds like we were able to achieve that, and we truly appreciate your feedback. Again, thank you for your time and we look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if there is anything that we can do for you.

Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed at the property Dec 31, 2012 for one night. This was our second stay at the hotel, each being for one night. We live about three hours away but have friends that we come to visit on occasion.

Last night we also purchased tickets to their New Year's Eve party in what they call the Gold Room. The party started at 7pm and went past midnight. Two tickets and a room reservation was $450. I'll start with the positives.

Someone obviously has invested some time and money on the property. The rooms are clean and well furnished although as someone else has previously mentioned a bit more work space would have been nice. Our last stay had a tub and shower in the room, this time was only a shower. I did request the same room type so I'm not sure why the change, maybe some have both and some don't. The property is nice, although on 1/1/13 most places inside looked to be closed.

The Party from the time we arrived, about 830pm, until about 1130 was a good experience. The food was well prepared and there was enough variety. It was an open bar aside from top-shelf and the bartenders worked quickly. There was a live band that wasn't bad, not exactly my choice of music but I understand they have to appeal to the masses.

Now on to some parts of our time there that were challenging.

After checking in and dropping off our belongings in the room we headed downstairs to the Bix Bistro bar to grab a drink and order an early dinner. The bartender addressed us fairly quickly as someone else was being served. After that party appeared to have their order completed my girlfriend was asked what she would like to drink, customary to ask the lady first, and her drink was quickly made. However instead of then asking me what I would like the bartender went back to the original group to fulfill an addition to their order. I wasn't helped for almost ten minutes.

Now I've read many reviews on this hotel on Trip Advisor to find if my observation was correct and I believe that it is. If you are under 40 and aren't dressed in a shirt and tie you are treated differently. I tried not to think that it was possible but this being our second stay and the second time we have experienced this confirmed it. Our previous stay we arrived at the Bistro for dinner and apparently $150 jeans and a polo shirt isn't good enough. At that time we waited for over 20 minutes for a waitress, I did not complain because my girlfriend didn't want to deal with it and chalked it up to a lousy wait staff. However twice in two stays is enough to voice my concern that guests are not treated the same. I saw 50+ year old men at the bar that were waited on with no hesitation, yet apparently wearing clothes for comfort during a three hour drive is not acceptable. Perhaps the front desk should inform guests that there is a dress code so that we can get our suits and dresses on before trying to buy a beer.

The food was above average but my steak tasted like it may have been a little past the serving date. It isn't enough to not eat but it did taste a little "off".

I'd say that the worst part was the time at the party from 1130 to just past midnight. At about 1130 I excused myself to use the men's room. On my way back through, where the desk was that was being used to confirm reservations for the party, there was a modest group of people standing around that had not been in the party all night. As I was moving through the crowd one man started slapping me on the back, walking alongside of me. He probably slapped me on the back six times before I had to give him a look to stop. He replied something along the lines of, "I thought we were having a good time". I kept walking without saying a word. I DO NOT appreciate being touched by a complete stranger who was obviously drunk and who was not at the party all night. In his crew was another guy who had some odd piercings in his face under his left eye. There were multiple metallic attachments to his face. The entire remainder of the evening these two guys with some of their other friends kept looking over at us.

I'd lay down everything I own that this party was crashed by this group. It really did ruin the night. When you spend $125 a ticket to have a good time and to avoid the drunk bar crowd but then get that crowd anyway it makes for an early night. I voiced my concern to the front desk in the morning but I was more or less given the brush off with an obligatory "I'm sorry" so I needed to write it for all to see.

There is NO excuse to allow people to crash a party. I'd have a hard time believing that a group this size would pay $125 per ticket for 30 minutes of time, but who knows, maybe they have more money than brains.

The hotel needs to either coach the staff on how to equally treat guests or inform the guests on what the expectations are at the reservation time. If this is the type of hotel that requires a shirt and tie it needs to make it known, this is Davenport, not some hot spot in Chicago or NY where you know what to expect and what's expected. One poor service experience could be chalked up that someone was simply having a bad day, two poor experiences might be coincidence, multiple reviews from guests do however indicate that there is a problem.

Room Tip: Rooms that are not adjoining may have more space but that could be my perception. The hotel is shap...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Dear unsung,

Thank you for choosing Hotel Blackhawk as your New Year's Eve destination. Also, thank you for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor. Your feedback is extremely important, and it is only through candid observations such as yours that we are able to make Hotel Blackhawk the best that it can be. Thank you for your compliments on the property. Our ownership did a wonderful job with the renovations. Cleanliness is something that is crucial, and I thank you for your observations.

I would like to apologize about the service that you encountered at Bix Bistro. We were very fortunate to have a full restaurant, bar, and hotel throughout the entire evening on Monday. Going forward, we will be sure to monitor staffing to ensure quality service and timeliness for our guests. We pride ourselves on the customer service that we provide for every person that walks through our doors. There is not a required dress code for Bix Bistro. Every customer is of equal value to us.

Thank you also for mentioning that there were unwelcomed guests at the New Year's Eve event in the Gold Room. I'd like for you to know that our management staff was on hand throughout the evening and we continued to scan the room for anyone that may not have purchased a ticket. There was a group of guests who were asked to leave right around midnight, but it seems as though we caught them after your encounter, which is unfortunate. The fact that these individuals invaded your personal space is unacceptable. I agree, there is no excuse for party crashers, and they wore out their welcome rather quickly. Going forward, we will have extra security on hand at all private events to ensure that a similar issue does not reoccur.

I reached out to you personally via telephone today to discuss your concerns and thank you for your feedback. I hope that you received the voice message. You will receive your updated folio within the next few days. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any additional questions or concerns.

Again, thank you for your review. We would be honored to welcome you back to Hotel Blackhawk in the future. I understand your concerns, and your business is very important to us. I am confident that your next visit will exceed your expectations.

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

We booked a room for the Home For The Holidays special which included bowling (they have a martini bowling alley in basement) and a wonderful discount on dinner and room. The front desk was very inviting; they even upgraded us as a surprise. Our room was gorgeous - big but cozy, and a jacuzzi with a TV in the mirror. Our meal at the Hotel Bix Bistro was another surprise; Tim was a great waiter and we trusted him as he guided us through the menu. Nothing disappointed. By the way, the bowling alley is very cool.....blue lights and great martinis.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2012

Dear travelling-du0,

Thank you so much for your review, and thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Blackhawk on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to hear such positive feedback. Our Home for the Holidays Package was a hit this year, and we will be sure to offer it again next year. Hopefully you will come back and visit us again. We also have similar packages available throughout the year. At Hotel Blackhawk, we do our best to create an exceptional experience for each of our guests. It sounds like we have achieved this for you during your time spent with us, and we could not be happier. I will be sure to pass along your compliments about our staff.

Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you back at the hotel very soon.
Happy Holidays!

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Made the mistake of trying to book a room using a LivingSocial voucher I purchased. Nowhere in the fine print does the voucher state that it can only be redeemed on select weekends, up to the discretion of the customer service rep on the phone. City view rooms were available, but because I said I had a voucher I was initially told there were "no Living Social rooms available". After going back & forth with cust. service I ended up getting my reservation booked, only to find out that they booked me in a room overlooking the metal roof. No city view with this room. Ended up packing my things up and went downstairs to ask for a new room or I was just going to go back home. Luckily a very helpful woman at the front desk found me a room that was well worth the voucher grief.
Tried getting dinner at the restaurant downstairs only to find out it was by reservation only. I'm sure this is stated somewhere on their website, but I was unaware that I needed to book dinner days in advance, so I ended up just going to Red Lobster.
Had a voucher to play an hours worth of bowling downstairs at the hotel's bowling alley, but that probably needed a reservation too, so I didn't bother.
The refrigerators in the room as chock full of liquor, but you're better off just bringing your own since a small shot bottle costs upwards of $7. Even the snacks were outrageously priced.
Overall I wasn't too thrilled with the hotel. The whole point of going away for a weekend is to relax and avoid having to make calculated decisions like how far in advance should Brunch be reserved, what time, when you plan on bowling, etc. I like to be spur of the moment when taking time to myself, and I have been to plenty of hotels where you can truly wing it, and still manage to access all the amenities they boast of having. The property is beautiful, the front desk was helpful; but Hotel Blackhawk definitely has room for improvement potential. My suggestion to them: If you offer a Groupon or LivingSocial deal, please include in the fine print that it is up to the discretion of customer service if you wish to redeem your voucher on a weekend.

Room Tip: If booking a stay here, make sure you also book dinner reservations and brunch reservations. Also, w...

Dear Tahiti_Heathie,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hotel Blackhawk. Also, thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor.

I'd like to apologize for the inconveniences that you experienced with your Living Social voucher. I agree, the notification regarding limited dates should be visible on the voucher. Please know that because of your review, we are now taking the time to look into this. If it weren't for your review, this issue may have gone unnoticed for a while. Again, thank you for bringing your concerns to our attention.

Superior service, friendliness and professionalism are critical elements of our business. I'm glad that these elements shined through at the front desk during your stay. Due to the high occupancy in Bix Bistro, we are forced to require reservations, in order to make sure that our guests receive the proper attention and service that they deserve while dining. Please keep in mind that Bix Bistro offers 24 Hour Room Service to accommodate our guests as well.

Again, thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience. It is only through candid observations that we are able to become aware of things that our guests are experiencing, in order to fix them and be able to continue to provide exceptional experiences.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hotel Blackhawk.
Thanks again and Happy Holidays.

Reviewed December 8, 2012

Stayed at Hotel Blackhawk December 1st - 3rd, 2012. I requested early check in and was told that would not be a problem (I had a afternoon appointment in Davenport and needed to change). Arrived as planned and was told the room would not be available for another hour; returned in a hour and the front clerk said she had available rooms but would have to check and see if she could release them. Supervisor came to the desk and said no, those rooms could not be released. This made me feel as if I was not "good enough" for one of those rooms. I am a executive in the service industry, that should have been made right by the front line supervisor, that conversation should not have occurred in front of a customer.
Bed was not made during entire stay even upon request.
I returned home on Monday evening and realized as I unpacked that I left my $180.00 sonicare toothbrush and a bottle of body-wash at the hotel. I contacted them immediately and was transferred three times to the wrong number, then told I would received a phone call back. It's Saturday, still no call. I emailed the front desk manager and the housekeeping manager asking for their assistance, again, it's Saturday, still no response.
I have plans to return to Davenport every 4-6 weeks and would have preferred to stay at the Blackhawk, it's beautiful. However, I would rather stay somewhere less beautiful, less expensive then to stay somewhere that clearly does not respond nor care for their customers.
Don't stay there....just as in life, beauty on the outside does not always mean there is beauty on the inside.
I hope the leaders of Blackhawk will see this, respond, and make changes in their Service and Service Recovery. I hope the leaders of Blackhawk will reach out and make this situation right.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank dancin418
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear dancin418,

It was a pleasure speaking with you on telephone yesterday afternoon. Thank you for taking the time to take my call. I apologize that we played telephone tag for a few days.

As I mentioned, I was embarrassed to hear of your experience at the hotel. Superior service, friendliness and professionalism are critical elements of our business. I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate department managers and I have already spoken with each of them directly. I am confident that the appropriate measures will be taken to correct these issues in the future.

As promised, I will be sending your sonicare toothbrush to you with in the next week or so. The item has been ordered and your folio has been updated as discussed. I look forward to speaking with you at the first of year to make your next reservation with us.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of further assistance. I look forward to meeting you very soon!

Warm Regards,

Tim Heim

P.S. - I enjoyed our conversation regarding your cruise experiences. I hope to book a
Mediterranean cruise in the future. This is something that has been on my bucket list.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I found a great deal on a stay at the hotel so we booked it for a weekend getaway. It is an absolutely beautiful hotel. The marble floors, the fireplace, the furnishings and the staff... everything was very nice. We highly recommend the Sunday Jazz Brunch. They only have two seatings at 10:30 and 12:30 so be sure to make reservations in advance. The buffet is not limited to hotel guests so the reservations fill up quickly.

Parking is free and convenient. The hot tub and pool were clean and enjoyable. There are lots of restaurants in the area. We had Happy Hour at The Phoenix and the food was very good. You can walk to the Rhythm City casino and the other casinos are just a short drive away.

Our only complaint would be the bowling. We bowled Saturday afternoon and it was difficult to find someone to check us in and get our shoes. The attendant was less than enthusiastic. We had numerous issues with our lane and had to track someone down to move us to a different one.

Other than this small complaint, I highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SunnySkiesDSM
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear Mikki B,
Thank you for choosing Hotel Blackhawk for your recent weekend getaway, and thank you for taking the time to write about your experience on TripAdvisor. We were delighted to hear your positive feedback about the hotel. We're glad that you got the chance to enjoy our award winning Sunday Jazz Brunch in Bix Bistro. I'll be sure to share your wonderful comments with our staff. Also, thank you for mentioning your experience in Blackhawk Bowl & Martini Lounge. I would like to apologize for the service that you encountered while in the bowling alley. Please know that I have addressed your concerns with the manager of Blackhawk Bowl & Martini Lounge, and I am confident that these issues will be corrected. Again, please accept our sincere apologies.

Thank you for your feedback, it is truly appreciated.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Tim Heim

Also consider these accommodations in or near Davenport
The Current Iowa, Autograph Collection
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Davenport
Homewood Suites by Hilton Davenport
3 mi away
Radisson on John Deere Commons

Been to Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!