“Beautiful Hotel....Disappointing Service”

Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Davenport
Reviewed December 8, 2012

Stayed at Hotel Blackhawk December 1st - 3rd, 2012. I requested early check in and was told that would not be a problem (I had a afternoon appointment in Davenport and needed to change). Arrived as planned and was told the room would not be available for another hour; returned in a hour and the front clerk said she had available rooms but would have to check and see if she could release them. Supervisor came to the desk and said no, those rooms could not be released. This made me feel as if I was not "good enough" for one of those rooms. I am a executive in the service industry, that should have been made right by the front line supervisor, that conversation should not have occurred in front of a customer.
Bed was not made during entire stay even upon request.
I returned home on Monday evening and realized as I unpacked that I left my $180.00 sonicare toothbrush and a bottle of body-wash at the hotel. I contacted them immediately and was transferred three times to the wrong number, then told I would received a phone call back. It's Saturday, still no call. I emailed the front desk manager and the housekeeping manager asking for their assistance, again, it's Saturday, still no response.
I have plans to return to Davenport every 4-6 weeks and would have preferred to stay at the Blackhawk, it's beautiful. However, I would rather stay somewhere less beautiful, less expensive then to stay somewhere that clearly does not respond nor care for their customers.
Don't stay there....just as in life, beauty on the outside does not always mean there is beauty on the inside.
I hope the leaders of Blackhawk will see this, respond, and make changes in their Service and Service Recovery. I hope the leaders of Blackhawk will reach out and make this situation right.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank dancin418
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Dear dancin418,

It was a pleasure speaking with you on telephone yesterday afternoon. Thank you for taking the time to take my call. I apologize that we played telephone tag for a few days.

As I mentioned, I was embarrassed to hear of your experience at the hotel. Superior service, friendliness and professionalism are critical elements of our business. I have forwarded your comments to the appropriate department managers and I have already spoken with each of them directly. I am confident that the appropriate measures will be taken to correct these issues in the future.

As promised, I will be sending your sonicare toothbrush to you with in the next week or so. The item has been ordered and your folio has been updated as discussed. I look forward to speaking with you at the first of year to make your next reservation with us.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of further assistance. I look forward to meeting you very soon!

Warm Regards,

Tim Heim

P.S. - I enjoyed our conversation regarding your cruise experiences. I hope to book a
Mediterranean cruise in the future. This is something that has been on my bucket list.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

My husband and I found a great deal on a stay at the hotel so we booked it for a weekend getaway. It is an absolutely beautiful hotel. The marble floors, the fireplace, the furnishings and the staff... everything was very nice. We highly recommend the Sunday Jazz Brunch. They only have two seatings at 10:30 and 12:30 so be sure to make reservations in advance. The buffet is not limited to hotel guests so the reservations fill up quickly.

Parking is free and convenient. The hot tub and pool were clean and enjoyable. There are lots of restaurants in the area. We had Happy Hour at The Phoenix and the food was very good. You can walk to the Rhythm City casino and the other casinos are just a short drive away.

Our only complaint would be the bowling. We bowled Saturday afternoon and it was difficult to find someone to check us in and get our shoes. The attendant was less than enthusiastic. We had numerous issues with our lane and had to track someone down to move us to a different one.

Other than this small complaint, I highly recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SunnySkiesDSM
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Dear Mikki B,
Thank you for choosing Hotel Blackhawk for your recent weekend getaway, and thank you for taking the time to write about your experience on TripAdvisor. We were delighted to hear your positive feedback about the hotel. We're glad that you got the chance to enjoy our award winning Sunday Jazz Brunch in Bix Bistro. I'll be sure to share your wonderful comments with our staff. Also, thank you for mentioning your experience in Blackhawk Bowl & Martini Lounge. I would like to apologize for the service that you encountered while in the bowling alley. Please know that I have addressed your concerns with the manager of Blackhawk Bowl & Martini Lounge, and I am confident that these issues will be corrected. Again, please accept our sincere apologies.

Thank you for your feedback, it is truly appreciated.
We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel Blackhawk and attended a wedding there. Parking was convenient. Check-in was efficient. Our room exceeded our expectations in size and amenities and was decorated stunningly. The Blackhawk has the feel of a grand historical hotel and has been restored with obvious attention to all detail. It is a treasure and we are considering returning for New Years Eve!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julie B

Dear Julie B,
Thank you so much for your outstanding review, and thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Hotel Blackhawk on TripAdvisor. We are thrilled to hear such positive feedback. At Hotel Blackhawk, we do our best to create an exceptional experience for each of our guests. It sounds like we have achieved this for you and your husband during your time spent with us, and we could not be happier. Our New Years Eve celebration in the Gold Room will be one to remember, and we would be honored to have you and your husband in attendance.

Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife and I just returned from a Thanksgiving road trip from Colo to Illinois.
We stayed at the Blackhawk after a 12 hour drive. We were transporting an album collection and 16 houseplants to our friends who had moved to Champaign, Ill.
When we made our reservations we told Kristina (front desk) about our plants and albums, she assured us they would help us if the weather was too cold to leave them in our covered truck. We arrived at 5:00 P.M. and with temps in the 30's Greg the bellman was waiting with three luggage carts and we put all of the plants in a locked storage closet.
We went to our eighth floor room and dropped the luggage and cooler off.
The room had a wonderful view of the Mississippi river and my wife especially liked the fridge which had a freezer to put our cold packs in for our cooler.
We freshened up and headed down to the Bix Bistro Restaurant.
The Bix was great for munchies, hors d'oeuvres, and two complimentary cocktails. They also were having half price on bottles of wine so we bought a nice pinot noir and saved it for after our try at riverboat gambling which was two blocks away.
After a most comfortable nights rest we got up and prepared for our last 3 hour drive.
When we got downsairs the morning bellman (Edmond) had our plants ready on the carts and our valet pickup was warming up.
We really can't say enough about the service of this place, from Kristina at check in to Nick and Ashley at the Bix and Greg and Edmond at the bell stand.
If only we had more time to stay at this fine Hotel, we definitely would have spent some time at the martini lounge/bowling lanes. It's worth a look, classy and retro.
I would highly recommend this hotel for anybody travelling to or through Davenport.

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank noodle28
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear noodle28,
Thank you for choosing Hotel Blackhawk as one of the stops on your road trip. We are honored that out of all the places you could have stayed, you chose us! We are beyond delighted to hear your positive feedback. We pride ourselves on service and exceeding our guest’s expectations here at Hotel Blackhawk, and I’m so glad that we were successful in exceeding yours. Thank you for your wonderful comments. I will be sure to share them with our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Blackhawk next time you are in the Davenport area.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

The lobby is beautiful and the staff is very friendly. The rooms are very small and are missing a desk. I have never been in a hotel that did not have a desk or a table or someplace besides the bed or toilet to do work or use a laptop. The other problem with the room size is to close the drapes one has to climb over the bed. The rest of the room and the bathroom were very nice. As I stated before The lobby is beautiful but it was impossible for us to enjoy because of the loudness of a wedding reception. The check in process was a little slow, they only have two check-in desks and both had four people in line each. All of the previous problems were minor but the parking is a major issue. When we checked in the lot was completely full because of the Festival of Trees and a wedding reception and we had to park 2 blocks away on the street. After 10pm I was able to move our car to the hotel lot. Without the parking issue I would have given the Blackhawk a very good rating. I will recommend this hotel to my friends but I will tell them to avoid it during the Festival of Trees.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear spackler43,
Thank you for choosing Hotel Blackhawk for your recent stay in Davenport, and thank you for your review.
We do apologize for your wait at check-in. We take pride in the fact that we want to make each guest feel welcomed, and we do so by taking the time to explain all of the amenities that we have to offer.Thank you for your compliment about our staff.
The lobby is a wonderful place to relax, and I hope that you got a chance to enjoy it on Sunday while the Jazz band was playing during brunch.
Next time you stay with us, please be sure to mention that you'd prefer a sleeping room with a desk, and we will do all that we can to accommodate your request. I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your room overall.
Since Hotel Blackhawk is located in a downtown area, parking is limited. We are fortunate to have a parking lot for our guests to self-park in at no charge. Our bellmen monitor the lot, and reserve our parking spaces for hotel and restaurant guests, although these limited spaces do fill quickly. I'm glad that you were able to move your vehicle back to our parking lot later that night, and I apologize for any inconvenience.

Thank you again for choosing us and for taking the time to write a review. We look forward to welcoming you back to Hotel Blackhawk very soon.

Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

We didn't stay at the hotel but went to the bowling alley in the lower level of the hotel. They had several lanes and at the end of the alley were large televisions so you could watch the football game as well.

• Stayed: November 2012
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear scoobysmom2003,
We thank you for taking the time to come experience the Blackhawk Bowl & Martini Lounge. We were delighted to hear your positive feedback. We always strive to create a unique and high quality experience for our guests, and I'm glad to hear that you had such a great time.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review on TripAdvisor. We hope to see you back in the hotel very soon.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

Haven't stayed at the hotel, but go there often to the restuarant and bar in the beautiful lobby. the food is excellant and the Martini's are so good, the bartenders are so friendly and make you want to come back often !

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Jen H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear margo g,
Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Blackhawk and Bix Bistro on TripAdvisor. We are so glad that you have been enjoying your time spent at the hotel. Have you been to Bix Bistro for martinis on Tuesdays or Thursdays? Those nights are buy one martini, get one free! We encourage you to experience a sleeping room in the hotel also, but until then, please continue to enjoy our food and beverages. Thank you so much for your review, and we look forward to seeing you soon!

Tim Heim

Also consider these accommodations in or near Davenport
The Current Iowa, Autograph Collection
Radisson Quad City Plaza Hotel
Hampton Inn Davenport
Hampton Inn Davenport
#1 of 26 in Davenport
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Davenport
Radisson on John Deere Commons
Hilton Garden Inn Bettendorf / Quad Cities

Been to Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!