“Beautiful hotel”

Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Davenport
Fort Madison, Iowa
“Beautiful hotel”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Love this hotel. The place is beautiful. This was our second stay and we were upgraded to a room with a balcony, which was great. The staff throughtout the hotel was very friendly and helpful. While we enjoyed the pool, the hot tub wouldn't work half the time and when it did the jets were not very strong. We would definitely go back to Hotel Blackhawk and highly recommend it to others.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tim H, Front Office Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a survey for us. I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoied your stay! I will be sure to pass your kind comments on the the appropriate parties. Thank you for letting us know about the issues you experienced regarding our hot tub. I will be addressing these issue with our maintenance staff in order to see that this issue does not happen again in the future.

Thank you again for your patronage and we hope to see you when your travels bring you back to the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
New York City, NY
Reviewed September 3, 2012

I must say that everything about this hotel is very nice. The renovation is absolutely stylish and the service was really excellent. We were in town for a wedding over labor day weekend. Our room was 404 and everything was very excellent. I would have given this a 5 star review because the place was that good.

What ruined our entire experience is that I mistakenly left my iPad charger plugged into the wall by the desk in the room when I checked out. I called about 4 hours later to ask if it was found by housekeeping. The woman I spoke to said she would check it out and call me back. She called me back in a half hour saying it was not found and not turned into lost and found. When I got home this evening I checked through my entire luggage just to confirm what I already know, it was not packed. I remember even thinking I was going to forget it because when I unplugged the ipad the night before I left the wire went behind the desk.

Now an iPad charger is not that expensive, but that isnt the point of my ruined experience. I also know the hotel is not responsible for personal items, but just knowing that they employ a deceitful employee was enough to sour my memory of my entire stay - no matter how nice the experience was.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MVExplorer
Thank you for choosing Hotel Blackhawk for your recent stay with us. We were delighted to hear your positive feedback. I will be sure to share these comments with our entire team.

I am very concerned about the situation regarding your iPad charger. I have spoken with several team members and wish to let you know that we did indeed find the charger, though it had been misplaced for a time. I am truely sorry for the inconvenience. Hotel Blackhawk is a historical jewel, we try to embody the culture and hospitality that she deserves. We are constantly striving to improve all aspects of our patrons experience. Your feedback is greatly appreciated, as it gives un insite into what we can to do further improve upon our service.

If you would contact the hotel and speak with either Kristina or Jen, our Front Office Supervisors and Manager, we would be happy to work with you in order to get your charger returned. They may be reached by calling the hotel direct number of (563)322-5000 and asking for them by name. Please feel free to contact either of them with any further questions or concerns.

Thank you again for your stay ande review and I sincerely hope to hear from you.
Bettendorf, Iowa
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We stayed at the Blackhawk for a class reunion and really enjoyed our stay! The food in the restaurant was great. Del saw to our every need and delivered a first rate experience. The lobby is a great place to hang out and people watch. The bar area is very conducive to mingling and meeting new people. We have visited before for meetings and banquets and have always enjoyed the food and service.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Dear kbiker85,

Thank you for staying with us this past weekend. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our services and amenities to your liking. I especially appreciated the comments about Del who is our Food & Beverage Director for the property. I am glad he was able to enhance your experience.

I look forward to your next visit.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We were in town for a wedding and had two hotel choices. A quick search on Trip Advisor told me that this was the place to be. I wasn't steered wrong!! I look for several things when traveling: free internet, a hotel bar, and modern looking rooms. This place had all three. Our room was well appointed, and there was some extra room available in the refrigerator. The bathroom and bedroom had plenty of storage space. The staff was great as well. They kept the hotel bar open later than scheduled because our large group was having such a great time. We were also given late checkouts upon request. These kind of small services really add up to a great experience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Tim H, General Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 22, 2012
Dear l0ves_t0_plan,

I hope that you will keep us in mind, for future visits to the Davenport area. If I can be of furher assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

At your service,

Tim Heim
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The lobby is spectacular...take a seat and enjoy!
The bar opens onto the lobby with some tasty dark beers and snacks.
There's a fantastic pool on the 3rd floor with super views of the Mississippi.
The crew is very helpful and friendly.
Stay at the Blackhawk and have a wonderful time!

Room Tip: 8th floor...very quite with views.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear douglasoverbay,

Thank you for your comments regarding you recent stay. I will be sure to share these comments with our team. If you're ever back in the area, I hope that you will stay with us again.

If I can be of any assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

At your service,

Tim Heim
Rhinelander, WI
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This is a grand old hotel, but without the qualified, committed, respectful staff, "grand" and "old" doesn't quite do it. We waited for two hours for our room to be ready, the Presidential Suite at that. HINT: Don't bite for the Presidential Suite. There's nothing special about it except the emblem by the door.

And the details were poor--cracked toilet seat, and without getting graphic, toilet paper that felt like sand paper.

1 Thank Northpith
Garrison G, Front Office Manager at Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Northpith,
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at Hotel Blackhawk. We definitely apologize for the wait you experienced during check in time and assure you this is far from our standard. We are regularly at very high occupancy and the rooms can sometimes be rented the night before. Check out time is at noon, and this sometimes causes a room not to be ready when all guest arrive if they need to check in before 3:00pm. We do take great pride in all of our rooms and indeed we do have a couple rooms that can be put together that encompass the three rooms that the President stayed in on his recent trip to Davenport. If one room is rented instead of all three it is the same size as a deluxe room. We will be very vigilant in explaining this clearly in the future and apologize for any misunderstanding.
I would like you to know that we take all concerns extremely seriously and have addressed all of your concerns with the various departments. It is our upmost commitment to ensure a great Blackhawk experience to every guest and look forward to the chance of making these shortcomings up to you. Please contact me directly and I would be happy to discuss various solutions to your dissatisfaction.
Garrison Gardner
Front Office Manager
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We look for older properties like the Blackhawk on our travels. Attention to detail and regard for the past have merged to reinvigorate a key building in downtown Davenport. We met friends this weekend to enjoy the Bix Beiderbecke Jazz Festival held adjacent to the hotel. After a missed flight delayed their arrival by 24 hours, the friends were upgraded to a huge suite. Our room, although not as large, was more than adequate with a separate living area for TV, couch, coffeemaker, microwave, and refrigerator minibar. Although these would not be my color choices for a historic hotel (black, gray, and brown), the hotel has a unified decor that is atmospheric and quite stylish. Neither room offered great views from the third floor, unfortunately. I would love to see the hotel do something more attractive with the concrete area around the atrium. Other minor complaints were the design of the glass shower (no tub) in our room, which leaked water onto the floor and was hard to adjust without getting wet; and towels which were slightly less thick and plush than one would expect in such a nice hotel. Our bill under the door on checkout day informed us that minibar charges would be added later after after staff had time to inventory! IMHO, hotels should just offer the refrigerator for guests' use. Or better yet, comp a few items and create massive good will! An interesting touch is the eclectic selection of used books placed in rooms. Room lighting is wonderful, staff is friendly and accommodating, property is very clean, and the food at Bix Bistro in the hotel lobby was good and the service there was superb.

Room Tip: Request rooms with a view especially if you expect to see the Mississippi. Ours overlooked a concret...
2 Thank Gypsyrover51
Dear Gypsyrover51,
It is so refreshing to hear such a wonderful and detailed review like yours. We thank you for taking the time to stay and review Hotel Blackhawk on Trip Advisor. We are very pleased you enjoyed your recent stay and the Bix Fest with your family and friends. Please allow me to respond to some of your concerns during your trip.
We would absolutely love for all of our rooms to have a superb river view unfortunately with the layout of the downtown area only our south facing rooms have the highly sought after view of the Mississiippi River. I would be more than happy to assign this kind of a room for you if you ever plan a return visit, which we sincerely hope you do. I have passed on your suggestions concerning the roof area around the atrium to the folks who make such decisions and thank you for the great insight.
Please remember us in the future, and again Thank you so much for your exceptionally written review and observations. We look forward to seeing you again.
Garrison Gardner
Front Office Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Davenport
Radisson Quad City Plaza Hotel
Hampton Inn Davenport
Hampton Inn Davenport
#1 of 26 in Davenport
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Davenport
Radisson on John Deere Commons
Hilton Garden Inn Bettendorf / Quad Cities
Stoney Creek Hotel & Conference Center - Moline

Been to Hotel Blackhawk, Autograph Collection? Share your experiences!