“Very Nice Thai Food”

Dining options: Reservations
Skokie, IL
“Very Nice Thai Food”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We (3 of us) stopped at Tantra's on our way through Davenport based on previous TripAdvisor comments, and found it to be a very nice restaurant indeed!

While its location looks a little shopping center like form the outside, the decor inside was lovely with lots of light from the outside and some flat waterfalls inside. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful - very nice and courteous with every request.

We had the chicken lettuce rolls for appetizers - the chicken itself was great - like a well spiced kung pao chicken - but the iceberg lettuce, while very crispy, was indeed hard to roll. They might have been better off with some crisp romaine or other leaf lettuce. The other entrees we had (beef crying tiger, vegetable stir fry with tofu, and tofu fried rice) were all very good. The beef of the crying tiger was very tender and prepared nicely, and the sauce was very spicy and bursting with a sweet/spicy flavor. My only complaint with the beef was that it was just that - strips of beef with nothing else (other than the sauce to dip in). I would have thought that something other than shreds of iceberg would be nice to put the beef over (perhaps some mixed shredded vegetables of some sort?). As I say, the beef itself was great, but there were no other flavors to blend with it.

Overall I would say that this was very good thai food, although not the best I have had, served in a nice atmosphere from a wonderful staff. We had a great dinner here and would easily go back again when we pass through town.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Scohn

Racine
“Great Find”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

Four couples found this place due to a recommendation from an area business. We were told we could bring our own wine to dinner. When we got there we discovered Tantra has wine available. They quickly agreed to let us drink our wine and even helped open it. From there everything only got better. The food & service were outstanding. The atmosphere was wonderful. Highly recommend this restaurant.

Visited August 2013
Portage, Wisconsin
“Ty food”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Great place to eat. Loved it. Nice atmosphere and food was delicious. Service was outstanding. Easy to locate. We were able to bring in our own wine to drink which I had never heard of that before.

Visited August 2013
Bozeman, Montana
“Wonderful, as usual.”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

On Friday last week, the family and I enjoyed a dinner at Tantra in Davenport. It advertises itself as an Asian bistro and I really enjoy the fact that I can get excellently prepared food in Thai, Chinese, and Japanese traditions. We began the meal with appetizers of lettuce wraps around a savory pork filling and their amazing tempura green beans. Since it was a hot evening, my husband and I were tempted by their pear martini. It was very flavorful and a generous portion, although I found it just a bit too sweet. For my main course I enjoyed their "drunken noodles" with chicken. It had just the right amount of heat, plenty of tender chicken, and lots of vegetables. Others at the table had tofu in the spicy basil sauce, seafood with noodles in the spicy basil sauce, and asparagus and mushroom stir fry. These were all pronounced to be excellent. The service was quick and pleasant. We were there with a one year old baby and were made to feel welcome.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Karen L
Silver Spring, Maryland
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hit and Miss”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We sat outside, which was nice except for the flies. Still, the AC inside was at full blast and uncomfortable on a pleasant evening.

The lettuce chicken was delicious, the other appetizers no so much - the soft rolls had exactly one shrimp and the rest was noodles and bland. The won ton soup was okay, but contained no pork pieces that other restaurants do so well.

Our entrees were a green curry dish, that was glutinous mess, and a beef salad that was the best I've had anywhere - the beef tender and perfectly cooked, and the spiciness just right.

The service was the worst, it's like they forget there are patrons outside. I might give it another shot, but I wouldn't recommend this place just yet.

• Visited July 2013