“Wonderful cabins!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Creston
Hatfield Lakes Iowa
JEFFERSON IOWA
“Wonderful cabins!”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We booked Big Johns and Moonlight Marion (balcony and cabin) for a Saturday night stay mid summer with friends (I tried to write this earlier, but trip advisor wasn't working). We needed a much needed rest and didn't want to drive too far from our central Iowa home. The cabins were beautifully decorated and very cool and comfortable (it was hot this summer). The kitchens were equipped with all the cooking gear, plates, etc we needed to make our big celebration dinner. My 9 year old son caught his first fish on the lake right outside our cabin. Great wildlife viewing too. Mark was a gracious host and made sure our stay was enjoyable. Can't wait to go back! The cozy looking fireplace in Big John's will make it perfect for a fall and winter getaway. Thanks for creating such a beautiful place in the middle of nowhere!
~ From grateful fellow Iowans

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank CHRIS W
Mark m, Owner at Hatfield Lakes Iowa, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
We have tried very hard to make an impact with our new construction, and our attention to detail. We will have some new buuildings in the next few years that are sure to be one of a kind "Hatfield Lakes" properties. We do hope you join us again.

Loved having everyone

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Altoona, Iowa
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Our large family stayed at the Hatfield Lakes for the weekend to celebrate our parents' 50th wedding anniversary. We rented all three cabins so we have the entire property to ourselves.

-- The Scott House Cabin:
Pros - It was nicely appointed and the kitchen was well stocked with plenty of pots, pans, serving trays, etc... We were able to arrange the furniture to allow for seating for the entire group. This worked well for our more formal big family dinner. The rooms were comfortable (with the exception listed below). There was plenty of room for everyone.
Cons - This is a nice cabin but it is not a lake-view cabin. (Which is stated on the web site.) If you're looking for a lake-view, I would suggest choosing one of the other cabins. The internet didn't work but that was ok for us as it limited the amount of iPod time the kids had. The 'queen' bed in the second level is two twins put together. This wouldn't have been an issue except we like to cuddle so that left one of us on the seam between the beds. Perhaps a thicker pad over the two beds would help alleviate that.

-- Big John's Cabin: (I personally didn't stay in this cabin so I'll relay what I can.)
Pros - This cabin was also well appointed and had a stocked kitchen. The open kitchen\dining area\living room is very nice for having conversations with a group of people. I heard comments about how comfortable the beds were and how much they enjoyed the cabin. This cabin is lake-front with a nice grassy area and patio with deck furniture.
Cons - I didn't hear any concerns about this cabin.

-- Moonlight Marion Balcony & Lakefront: (Again, I personally didn't stay in this cabin so I'll relay what I can.)
Pros - Again, these cabins were well appointed. Smaller than the other cabins, these were still very comfortable although we didn't do much family gathering in them. One guest wanted to take the bed home with them because it was more comfortable than the one they have at home. They also commented several times about the lovely view of the lake with the ducks flying over it in the morning.
Cons - I didn't hear any concerns about this cabin.

General Comments:

Although the cabin was very nice, I probably won't rent the Scott House cabin again as I prefer to be near the water. At times, Mark could be a bit difficult to get a hold of, but usually returns text messages\emails fairly quickly. (If you prefer to communicate via phone calls you might experience a bit more difficulty.) However, he was very willing to work with our group who had a few specific requests.

The fishing wasn't very good but in the middle of this drought, the water level was extremely low (as it is state-wide) so that could have very much affected the fishing.

There was plenty of outside seating. Our family enjoying our yard games and sitting by the fire pit. There were also two good-sized shelters that easily held our family.

Overall:

Our family truly enjoyed our time there. We are already discussing when we will return.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank rohelb
Great to see the feedback. We are striving every day to listen to our customers. We love to know what works and what doesn't.

We sure hope you keep us in the running for next years family trip. We have some wonderful new changes that are sure to make a statement.

Golden
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My wife and I took a trip to Iowa and found the most incredible propery ever. We rented a place at hatfield lakes and we had a most outstanding time. The fishing was great and we actually ate the bass we cought that night. It was quiet and peaceful. We truly had a good time. Next time I want to rent the bigger cabin and invite another couple to join us.

Room Tip: most cabins sit right on the lakes. Real nice time had by all.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chris C
Bellevue, Nebraska
Reviewed August 14, 2012

My sister and I got excited when we saw this fishing trip on sale on Groupon. We decided it would be a great birthday gift for our dad. The deal included fishing gear and a bottle of wine for each night we stayed. We decided on two nights. First off my sister called and texted to try to book our rooms more than 10 times in one month. The owner said he was out of the country. Couldn't someone else book us? We booked our date and arrived. To our disappointment our cabin wasn't on the lake and didn't seem as nice as the ones that were. We never received our wine, even after many texts. The owner just stopped communicating after awhile. And never found any fishing gear. Good thing we brought our own. The upstairs was very warm and the tv didn't work in our room. My dad was very happy and that's the only thing that saved this stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank BeccadaBomb
I am happy your father was happy. Bookings are handled via internet only. We receive upwards to 25 a day. As for the wine, we only offer that when we receive a signed letter stating occupants are over the age of 21. We do not sell alchol on the property. It is a gift during some promotional months. However, without the provided info on guests we dont extend that courtesy.

Guests are always free to bring their own adult beverages as they see fit. We want everyone to have a great time.

Respectfully

Reviewed August 10, 2012

Great fishing and fabulous cabins. Enjoyed our stay and our kids couldn't get enough of the fishing. Would like it if you built a beech. The heat was intense on some days and hope to see you again next summer.

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Yolipalmer
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed July 30, 2012

Along with my three closest girlfriends, we chose Hafield Lakes and the Stott House for our annual get-away. Although we were charged higher than the rate advertised ($325/night for four persons-we paid a total of $790.00), we were excited to get away and have a nice, relaxing weekend of food, fun and laughs. Approximately one week before we were to leave, I read IowaRita's review and her complaint about the upstairs air conditioning not working. Since we have had record breaking heat all summer and knowing that a house full of 50+ year old women and heat do not mix, I made a specific point of contacting Mark Hatfield about our concerns that the upstairs bedrooms may be too hot. Mark assured me that the air conditioning had been charged and that there was an independent air conditioning unit that he would try to get fixed before we arrived. He assured me that the upper level would be comfortable for our stay. We arrived at Hatfield Lakes in the early afternoon but went to the wrong cabin at first. Since Mark advised me that the best way to get a hold of him was by test message, I sent him a text and he immediately responded to give us directions to the Stott House. We quickly navigated to the property and entered into a very warm house. Now, the house has been wonderfully remodeled and overall the interior is interesting and fairly clean. The towels are soft, the showers clean, and the kitchen had most everything we needed to cook and eat to our heart's content. But, the upstairs bedrooms and bathroom were an oven. Needless to say, the text messages I sent Mark after than were not responded to and in fact, were completely ignored. It was clear that he had not addressed the issue since June when IowaRita was there and he certainly was not going to address it when we were there either. The only response to any further texts I sent Mark was the day we left after I advised him we had checked out. He immediately and happily thanked us for coming (and obviously giving him $800 bucks to sweat it out for the weekend). While we made the best of our stay that should have been much more enjoyable, it is very clear that the property is not being maintained and is being advertised as something it is not. I will not go on more about the failed air conditioning, but instead will just add the other issues that need to be addressed before anyone else ever spends a dime on this place: (1) don't park in the garage unless you want your car to smell like the bags of garbage filling it; (2) watch where you walk, sit or touch on the "verandahs" since they haven't been cleaned since the Hatfields and McCoys were fighting and they are covered in bird droppings and dirt; (3) don't expect the fan to work in the bathroom or the toilet paper to be on a holder; (4) don't expect the DVD player to work; (5) don't expect internet service; (6); don't expect the oven to be clean; (7) don't expect to see the lake or the equally disappointing gazebo unless you have binoculars; and most important (8) don't expect the management to be professional or truthful. Save your money. Go somewhere else.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kegerton
Iowa
Reviewed June 25, 2012

My husband and I, along with our adult children, rented the Stott house for four days. The place is nice but lakeview is a stretch. The air upstairs did not work, of course we were there in 90 degree plus weather, uncomfortable in two out of three bedrooms. It states that it has high speed internet, if you ask them to bring the 4G over that is true (two days into our stay). We went to Creston to the library, it worked great there and the help at the library was awesome. There was no place to dock our boat and there was no boat available to use. There was no map of the property or information in the house so it was definitely find the ponds yourself. If you are looking for a place to sit back and relax in/around the house it would be ok but if you are looking for the equivalent of a Minneasota fishing trip this isn't it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank IowaRita

Been to Hatfield Lakes Iowa? Share your experiences!