“Easy location for on/off I-80”

Countryside Inn & Suites Council Bluffs IA
Countryside Inn & Suites Council Bluffs IA
Ranked #15 of 24 Hotels in Council Bluffs
Reviewed October 11, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
There are newer reviews for Countryside Inn & Suites Council Bluffs IA

Reviewed September 3, 2012

You notice the smell when you walk into the hotel. It is much worse when you get to the room. It is a combination of industrial cleaner, cigarette smoke, mold, and musty. The room had a film of humidity over everything and the carpet felt wet to bare feet. Everything felt slimy. After one night stay my sinuses were blocked, my throat was scratchy and sore, I had a cough. We left for the day and my condition improved. As soon as we got back for the second evening I got worse again. We left for a night engagement and did not stay for the second night we had booked. When we got home all my clothes, even my clean ones left in my suitcase, were permeated with the smell and slime from the room. DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Our experience was very good. The room was very comfortable and we had no complaints on the cleanliness, the location or service. The staff was friendly and helpful. The room rate we received through our internet booking was very affordable, Depending on what your expectations are I don't think you will be disappointed. This is not a luxury hotel/motel but is clean, affordable and perfect for an overnight stay.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I've stayed at this hotel many times in the past and usually don't have too many issues, but this time I was not impressed! The room was very dirty.... the maid was obviously in a hurry or just didn't care. The bed sheets were dirty. The carpet didn't look like it had been vacuumed. There was not enough towels for even one person. And, there was no toilet paper! Really?? What maid leaves 5 squares on the roll?? You may not have the most glamorous job, but geez, take some pride in your work!

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2012 via mobile

After the initial shock of no elevator and getting into our room, the floor was obviously nasty. Kept my shoes on the entire time. Had to clean the bathtub - hair and razor stubble on the side of the tub. Then the trains rumbles through in the wee hours shaking you awake from any sleep you may have been getting. Room was stale, breakfast was too. Paid cash and the desk clerk did not know how to make change. Tried to overcharge $30. Just stopped there in a cross country trip on a whim, and left ASAP the next morning.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Booked online for a place to crash 1/2 way through a long trip. The room was clean but the bath tub / shower fixture was jimmy-rigged and we were unable to get hot water in the shower. The desk gal went out of her way and cam up and fiddled around with it and was able to get the hot water on.

Bed was below average for comfort, fixtures need updating, room was clean and the desk gal was outstanding.

Not as reasonable of a price for what you get but I have had worse!

Room Tip: Only ONE king suite in the hotel, big parking area...located near the interstate...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 28, 2011

The price was right, but the whole hotel smelled of cigarette smoke, from the lobby to our supposedly non-smoking room. (The room was less obvious...it was more stale-smoke-covered-with-cleanser.) Our room was very hot and stuffy when we arrived (granted, it was the middle of the night, so the A/C was off). It cooled down fairly quickly, though.

The curtains did not close properly, so the room was bright by 6am, which was pretty painful after arriving after 1am. Housekeeping knocked on the door promptly at 8:00am--yikes!

On the bright side, the staff were very friendly. I had to trek back down the stairs from the third floor because the reception clerk didn't hear me ask for a room with two beds, but she didn't charge me for the difference in the room rate. A staff member who saw me poking through breakfast cereals in the morning asked if there was anything I was looking for, and opened a new case of assorted mini-boxes to find the one I wanted--definitely above and beyond!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family