“Should have known better”

Best Western Crossroads Of The Bluffs
Ranked #11 of 24 Hotels in Council Bluffs
Kansas city
“Should have known better”
Reviewed May 6, 2008

I have stayed at alot of hotels but this one takes the cake. I have never walked in a room before and smelled a terrible odor that made me sneeze. Don't know what it was but it took a little getting used to. The next thing was the carpet was so nasty that when I walked into the bathroom my socks left black footprints on the white tile floor. The only reason I stayed here was because I had been traveling all day and got here at 5:30 in the morning and I just needed sleep.The only good thing about this hotel is they have a pretty nice looking indoor pool area but i didn't get to use it. Don't expect too much when a chain sells their bussines to a "private investor" it normaly goes down the toilet.

• Liked — It was next to the highway
  • Disliked — I was out of there in 10 hours
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank ChuChuu29

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Eastern Iowa Native
Reviewed March 10, 2008

A family member booked rooms at Best Western for men's state bowling in Council Bluffs. After reading the January 2008 review, I decided to contact the manager to follow up on the complaints that were raised. First, I was hung up on while being tranferred to the manager - I called back and was then transferred to a generic voice mail - I couldn't tell if it was for housekeeping or the manager. My husband then called twice and could not get the manager. We cancelled our reservations based on their lack on communication. We had friends who ended up staying at this motel and said that they did not experience the problems the January 2008 reviewer did, so hopefully they have ironed out those issues. However, if you have a manager that doesn't care to return phone calls and 5 rooms for 2 nights a piece were cancelled because of it, I still give it a poor review.

Stayed March 2008
1 Thank EastIowa

Travelers are raving about these Council Bluffs hotels

Bettendorf
Reviewed January 20, 2008

Booked on expedia.First of all when I pulled up and was unloading our bags a man approached me with my 2 children and asked me for money<scary>. Second the lobby area was very clean and as pictured online. The problems began as we walked 2 our room which was located in the rear of the hotel. There were doors missing from rooms and sheets on the hallway walls held up by push pins..???I have no idea...Wallpaper missing and hanging...When we finally arrived 2 our room the beds were so close 2 the floor the blankets were atleast 3 inches on the floor. The bathroom...the towel bar was missing with the broken attachments still there..the shower had black dirt covering the bottom of the tub (not soap scum..actual dirt of some kind). Our final straw was my 10 year old had 2 use the restroom after our 4 hour drive and the roll of toilet paper was soaking wet... I do not even want 2 know with what!!! I would never recommend staying there 2 anyone especially with children. I didn't feel safe there and neither did they besides the dirtyness of the hotel.Expedia handled everything and booked us at the Settle Inn not too far away. The room was smaller, but very clean, the location is much better and by many restaurants and stores.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank crmaster2
Nebraska
Reviewed May 29, 2007

We booked a group of 9-10 y/o baseball players and families to stay here. Upon arrival of the coach who checked in and found the rooms to be unsanitary. The grounds were trashy. He then went to the desk clerk explained that the team would not be staying and checked out and was given a full refund. He stated it was no place he would want children to be staying. He contacted the rest of the team so that we could make other arrangements. Upon arriving home we found charges on our debit card for the price of the room in which we did not stay. I contacted the manager and I was told that they have a 24 hour cancelation policy and there would be no refund given. This info was not explained to us when we booked the room. I have contacted Corp Office to file a complaint.
Karin R

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank AbrahamYR
Kansas City
Reviewed March 5, 2007

This is an old motel and it shows. The rooms are dirty and need updating. Walking through the halls is like going through a maze. Some of the rooms' A/C units vent into the pool room, making it hot and noisy. The desk clerk was extremely rude.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled with family
1 Thank AndyKansasCity
Morris, Illinois
Reviewed June 14, 2006

This hotel has a good location and a nice sized room. Unfortunately, there were some problems. Upon reporting that the toilet made loud filling sounds every five-ten minutes we were told "yes, it's happening in all the rooms. The plastic pipes are getting old." Poor excuse! Upon reporting that the Internet was not working, we were told "yes, it's happening all the time". I was offered use of the business center which was working OK. Tub faucet was dripping, but we didn't notify the desk at that time as we had not heard back about the more serious toilet issue. Air conditioner made really LOUD rumbling when compressor was running. Breakfast was just OK. Upon checkout I mentioned that we had maintenance issues. The clerk gave me a scrap of paper to write out the details. No apology or other comments. Disappointing experience for a Best Western. Too bad Best Western does not have a 100% Satisfaction Guarantee like Hampton & Comfort.

• Stayed June 2006
3 Thank FarAndWide_Traveller
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed January 3, 2006

This motel not up to the standards we expect from a Best Western. Our room had not been cleaned. We called and they sent someone to vacuum which helped but the bathroom floor had not been mopped. The room in general was dusty/dirty although the linens were clean. Great water pressure in the shower, large selection of TV channels. Great breakfast including cheese omelets, pancakes, sausage gravy.

Our room was on the west side of the hotel next to a truck stop. We could hear the trucks running all night long.

The hotel advertises free High Speed Internet but it's not available in all the rooms. We could, however, pick up the internet from the truck stop next door. Not the greatest connection, but better than nothing.

• Stayed August 2005