“Might be ok in a pinch, but definitely not a great option.”

SpringHill Suites Omaha East/Council Bluffs, IA
Ranked #7 of 24 Hotels in Council Bluffs
Atlanta, Georgia
“Might be ok in a pinch, but definitely not a great option.”
Reviewed June 10, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for about a week on business. To summarize, I really don't care for this hotel and this would be one of my last choices if I come back to Council Bluffs. In the interests of fairness, there are some things that this hotel does right, it's just that there are many more significant ones that are bad.

The Good:

1. The staff is very friendly and seem competent.

2. The internet access is fantastic. One of the best for a hotel that I have seen. I had no problem getting things done. I just ran a speed test and got 3.2 Mb/s down and 4.6 Mb/s(!!) up.

Now, the bad:

1. There is no way to block the light in this room. That also means almost no privacy. You can block the window with one very sheer drape that is easy to see through. Sleeping every night with the lights from the parking lot in my eyes was not any fun. Also, there was no privacy. I felt like I had to be fully dressed the whole time because it seemed like people could see in pretty trivially. I've never seen a hotel with windows you can't cover well before. Crazy!

2. The sound proofing in the room is very poor. I regularly heard my neighbors.

3. The shower area was TINY. I'm a fairly broad shouldered guy but I'm not a giant and I could just barely stand facing the showerhead. My shoulders would rub the sides of the shower. I've stayed in a lot of hotels in a lot of places and never had a shower stall that small.

4. The bed was not very comfortable. It might be ok if you like a really firm mattress, but to me it felt like sleeping on a board.

5. AC is provided by a wall-unit. That sucker is loud and the temperature is not evenly distributed through the room. Bed was probably 5 degrees cooler than the desk.

6. For one day there was this really annoying dripping noise coming from the air conditioning vent in the bathroom.

7. You can see bugs in the lights in the bathroom! The bathroom has an enclosed light fixture and I could see bugs crawling around in it!! Gross!

8. The gym is quite poor. A rack of free weights and a few cardio machines.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank TechPoet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Dublin, Oh
Reviewed April 15, 2011

Suite..is there a term with a more loose definition than this?

The bed was below average, the iron sucked, bike night at the local wings joint was loud, wake-up call never came, front desk staff is just a notch below competent.

Something that kinda bugged me was the maintenance staff appears to be very interested in the breakfast offerings...like if I or other guests weren't around, they will be noshing on the sub-par breakfast.

Breakfast was odd...eggs (tasted like they were made from powder) were in a crockpot, water was in a coffee carafe ...kinda felt like a picnic set-up, not a permanent breakfast. Virtually the entire breakfast was very subpar. In fact, I think the entire visit was subpar.

I wish I'd known the Hilton Garden Inn was just across the parking lot

Room Tip: No tip
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank StayToday
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 2, 2011

Our recent stay at the Springhill Suites in Council Bluff, Iowa was perfect! The room was a nice size with extra high ceilings. Although it really is just one room the divider wall and layout make it feel like two separate rooms. This hotel had an IPod charging station next to the bed and plenty of lights throughout the room. The beds were comfy and the towels were fluffy. Of course, everything was very clean at this Marriot. We did not use the pool although it looked clean. We did not use the workout room but noticed several people working out so the machines were in working order. The décor throughout the hotel is modern but warm and welcoming. The breakfast was pretty standard but the Marriot adds the little touches that make you feel like a treasured quest not just a customer. The steaming oatmeal was served with raisins, brown sugar and walnuts. There was a nice selection of flavored teas and the coffee was outstanding. The lobby/ breakfast area was quite large with a beautiful fireplace. If only we could have stayed another night!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank bigrockelk
Papillion, Nebraska
Reviewed March 22, 2011

At first look, the rooms seems very small, but its actually bigger than a traditional room, just divided up into separate areas! The hotel staff is extremely friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was never out of anything (even though it was busy) and the pool area was very well maintained. I will definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank Bryan319
Monterey, California
Reviewed October 29, 2010

We stopped in Council Bluffs on a road trip cross country for the evening. We had stopped at the Bass Pro for dinner and the Springhill Suites was right across the parking lot and the cheapest of the three hotels there. There were 3 of us and all of us had the best nights sleep we have ever had in a hotel. The beds are memory foam and the most comfortable beds ever! There is a little living area with a small bar that has a fridge, microwave and coffee pot. The room also had a desk area and free wifi. There was a flat screen tv that swiveled to either face the beds or the living area. The breakfast in the morning was really good, with eggs, sausage, waffles, cereals and baked goods. There was also an indoor pool and really nice gym. It was right next to the casino, convention center and dog track also. We have enjoyed our stay so much that we have been stopping at every springhill suites we can and each expereince is amazing!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank twinkitoez
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed October 12, 2010

There is very little to do in council bluffs. There are a few casinos around and near by is the Outdoor World which is a beautiful shopping place for outdoor and hunting equipments that I recommend everyone go to. If you planned on going to Omaha but don't want to spend too much on hotels, the springhills is a good alternative and is only a few minutes drive to Omaha although you have to take the freeway. I recommend if you do stay in the springhills with plans to go to Omaha, drive or rent a car because taxis can be expensive. Theres free internet/breakfast at the springhills. Also has a pool/hot tub and free parking. The casinos nearby are played by mostly old retired people so don't expect las vegas.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 14, 2010

My original reservation was at the Best Western White House Inn nearby. But, after dealing with a BED BUG INFESTATION, I obviously had to find another hotel. So, around 2am, I ended up getting a reservation at SpringHill. The front desk receptionist was SOOO helpful and understanding. Her name was Diane. :) She couldn't believe the experience I had at Best Western and even gave me an upgrade to a jacuzzi suite!! :) She set me up with places to order food and made it clear that she was there to help with anything I needed. After the bed bug experience at Best Western, I was upset, shaken up, and in major need of a good night's sleep. SpringHill made it happen! THANK YOU!!! :)

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business