Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Council Bluffs
Ranked #2 of 24 Hotels in Council Bluffs
Eau Claire, Wisconsin, United States
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

Exceptionally clean hotel. We stayed four nights while touring the museums of Council Bluffs, Iowa and Omaha, Nebraska. The staff was friendly and helpful. The hot breakfast served each morning was of good quality and plentiful. The parking lot was large and well lit. We will definately stay at this hotel again when we return to the area. Excellent value!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Kansas City
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Hotel is conveniently located. Staff was friendly and accommodating. Bed was super comfy! Room was clean. Microwave and fridge was a welcomed bonus. Will definitely stay at Country Inn again when in town.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Saint Charles, Missouri
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I use TRIPADVISOR in all my planning, and I looked up this hotel before we stayed here. It had great reviews. I felt at ease, because I trust Tripadvisor. The reviews are correct. I stayed here for three nights, and to tell the truth I pick out hotels that have a pool for my children. I was happy with this choice. I saw, on a regular basis, a man cleaning everything, from the exercise equipment for the pool tables. The cleaning ladies are nice too and it is a welcome change for me that they actually could understand what I was saying to them when I asked for extra towels. They have free cookies, and believe me my children made good use of this benefit. Now there was a few times they were out of cookies, but my children got their share. The free breakfast does leave a little to be desired. The waffles are ok, but the biscuits, oatmeal, danishes were unedible. My kids took a bite and asked to go elsewhere, so that didn't save me money like I thought it would. BUT...the place is clean, the pool is clean, even the whirlpool (which I usually don't trust the cleanliness on) was clean, even I hopped in. I would suggest this hotel to my friends and be confident in that suggestion. I would stay again. It was right next to the HORSHOE CASINO, I walked there one night from my room. The Horshoe is nice too.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Rowlett, Texas
Reviewed December 31, 2012

If you're looking for a throwback to 1980's style, this hotel is for you! Everything from the garish carpet in the hallway to the gold bedspread (BEDSPREAD! What quality chain uses bedspreads anymore?) screams truck stop motel.

Our guest room had firm and comfortable beds swaddled in those gold bedspreads previously mentioned. The room was very clean and dust free. The bathroom was immaculate. The wireless internet signal was available throughout the property. The doors to the sleeping rooms must be among the heaviest in the industry; perhaps this is due to fire code in Council Bluffs specifically or all throughout Iowa, but we could hear doors shutting all throughout the night.

There is an indoor pool and hot tub with great views of the adjacent casino.

One of the best features of Country Inn & Suites is the free hot breakfast served each morning. Our breakfast included biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, chicken patties, various pastries and muffins, cold cereal, and several other options. This is a wonderful way to start the day! The ladies staffing the breakfast room were very friendly and took pride in keeping the room organized, cleaned, and stocked with fresh food items. I regret that I did not get their names, because they were the two bright spots among all of the staff that we encountered.

All in all, if you are looking for a fun time warp back to the dated style of the 80's and you want a substantial free hot breakfast, check out the Country Inn & Suites in Council Bluffs. Locating it can be a challenge as it sits in a complex with other hotels, a convention center, and a casino.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that has been renovated just to see if you get something that doesn't have a gold...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank WylieDave
Houston, Tx
Reviewed December 13, 2012

This is a good, but not great, budget hotel. The rooms are nice, roomy and clean. The breakfast was average, with the usual fare. I was only there for a night, but did visit the casino, which is only a minute walk from the hotel's back door. There are renovations going on, including the room across the hall being gutted, but it didn't bother me during my short stay. The people were nice and friendly. I recommend this hotel for folks on a budget, as there are nicer and more expensive places nearby.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Lakeville, Minnesota
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We stayed here on the last night of a 12 day road trip. This was a stopping point for us on the last leg home and this was an decent place to sleep. The beds were ok and we had a fridge and a microwave in the room which was nice.

The breakfast wasn't the best since it was dehydrated eggs and fruit that had clearly been frozen. Better than perhaps a doughnut and coffee but not the best as far as hotel breakfasts go.

We would stay there again but it was an average stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Winnipeg
Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed here for one night while travelling home to Canada from Kansas City. It was a great value for clean rooms and a decent breakfast. Right across the parking lot from a Casino, and easy driving distance to a number of shops and restaurants. Beds were very comfortable (best pillows on our trip!) and our room was immaculate.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family