Council Bluffs is a half way stop on our road trip to and from. We stayed at Ameristar on our way and Harrah's on the way back. We chose Ameristar because they had better reviews than Harrah's. We paid a lot more for the room at Ameristar than at Harrah's.
The room, at Harrah's, was great. It was big, clean and modern. The cable service was quite minimal and not that great. The TV was a large flat screen that displayed very nicely. The bathroom was large and clean. I was pleased with the room.
Front staff was courteous and efficient. We did not have reservations but we were checked in quickly. We arrived on Monday and they gave us the room for 10 bucks less than the internet price. As well, they gave us the river view room for the same price vs. more. Just a note, the river view is not worth paying more for. It is not that great.
The casino is filled with smoke and the machines took our money, but not quite so fast. However, the wife and I are the biggest looser so I cannot rate how well the machines are. Since it was a Monday, the black jack table and craps table was wide open. I had fun, despite paying their electric bill.
The buffet was great. The price was about $18.00 each, which seemed too much. But was the same as Ameristar. The table staff in Harrah's was well beyond the retirement age and thus a bit on the slow side, but pleasant folks. The seemed to know how to talk to middle aged couples. The food was much more pleasing than Ameristar. I was quite pleased with everything we had to eat. However, once again, the dessert island had a chocolate fountain with a sign that stated the staff was to dunk your dessert in chocolate, but there was no staff member to help you. Overall, however, I was pleased with the food.
Harrah's was much cheaper than Ameristar on both nights we drove through. Harrah's had friendly staff and food was better in the buffet. The food prices are comparable. The casinos are comparable and the rooms are comparable. We will stay at Harrah's again on our next drive through because it is cheaper and our overall experience was much better.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Whether business or pleasure takes you to the Omaha and Council Bluffs area, staying at Harrah’s is your key to a fun, friendly time. Check in to our luxurious accommodations, including exquisite suites and deluxe rooms. Plus, you’re just step away from the action with slots, table games, fabulous dining, shopping and live entertainment. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Travelocity, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Harrah's Council Bluffs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Harrah`s Council Bluffs Hotel Council Bluffs
- Harrahs Hotel Council Bluffs