“I was pleased with our stay.”

Harrah's Council Bluffs
Ranked #1 of 24 Hotels in Council Bluffs
GreenLeadersBronze level
“I was pleased with our stay.”
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Council Bluffs is a half way stop on our road trip to and from. We stayed at Ameristar on our way and Harrah's on the way back. We chose Ameristar because they had better reviews than Harrah's. We paid a lot more for the room at Ameristar than at Harrah's.
The room, at Harrah's, was great. It was big, clean and modern. The cable service was quite minimal and not that great. The TV was a large flat screen that displayed very nicely. The bathroom was large and clean. I was pleased with the room.
Front staff was courteous and efficient. We did not have reservations but we were checked in quickly. We arrived on Monday and they gave us the room for 10 bucks less than the internet price. As well, they gave us the river view room for the same price vs. more. Just a note, the river view is not worth paying more for. It is not that great.
The casino is filled with smoke and the machines took our money, but not quite so fast. However, the wife and I are the biggest looser so I cannot rate how well the machines are. Since it was a Monday, the black jack table and craps table was wide open. I had fun, despite paying their electric bill.
The buffet was great. The price was about $18.00 each, which seemed too much. But was the same as Ameristar. The table staff in Harrah's was well beyond the retirement age and thus a bit on the slow side, but pleasant folks. The seemed to know how to talk to middle aged couples. The food was much more pleasing than Ameristar. I was quite pleased with everything we had to eat. However, once again, the dessert island had a chocolate fountain with a sign that stated the staff was to dunk your dessert in chocolate, but there was no staff member to help you. Overall, however, I was pleased with the food.
Harrah's was much cheaper than Ameristar on both nights we drove through. Harrah's had friendly staff and food was better in the buffet. The food prices are comparable. The casinos are comparable and the rooms are comparable. We will stay at Harrah's again on our next drive through because it is cheaper and our overall experience was much better.

Room Tip: I did not think that the river view was all that great.
Green Features: I did not knowingly observe these practices so I cannot comment.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank prelucir

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
  • Korean first
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed April 23, 2014

First of all, huge thanks for you guys doing a Priceline deal so that I could stay with you guys.

A funny event happened off the start of my visit... me having a bicycle. I was told that I could not keep the bicycle in my room, and that there was racks outside. I immediately asked for an insurance rider for the value of my bike ($1700). I was told to go visit with Security, who then told me to go check it at Valet. By the time I got over to Valet, the front desk manager came over to me and told me that it was fine to keep it with me in the room. She had mentioned that they had a bunch of problems with people doing RAGBRAI, and I totally understood the situation concerning that matter! :) (been there...done that, and understand the reasoning for the policy). Having the Council Bluffs bike trail immediately out the back door was nice as well... I was able to get away from work a little early on a Thursday and do Taco Ride!

From here forward, everything went exceptional. I thought the room was an awesome value for the price paid. The A/C cooled to my expectations and was very quiet. Granite everywhere and a good number of TV channels on a flat screen TV. I must note as well, a very comfortable bed.

I ate at the 360 restaurant and it was a very good steak for the ($$$) paid. I would do that again as well.

I would definately stay at this hotel again, no questions whats-so-ever. Thanks again.

Room Tip: Higher floors, away from the elevators.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Andrew K, Public Relations Manager at Harrah's Council Bluffs, responded to this review, May 1, 2014
Hi,

Thank you so much for the pleasant words and great review! We're always so excited to hear the details of a guests stay. We're thrilled you enjoyed yourself! It is very nice to hear you enjoyed your meal at our 360 steakhouse. Thanks for being so understanding with our RAGBRAI concerns. It sounds like you had a very enjoyable bike ride (Now that the weather is cooperating a little more!).

Once again, thanks again for the great review. We strive to make every guests experience one they will remember. Please come back and visit us anytime! We would love to have you!

-Andy

PR Manager.
Kansas City, Kansas, United States
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I love to come to Harrah's during the winter. It is a great escape from the normal winter blahs! We turned our car over to the valet service (won't need it until time to leave).The shuttle system that they have is great. They transport you from Harrah's to their Horseshoe casino a couple of miles away. Their shuttle runs 24 hours a day. Between the two casinos there are unlimited dining options. Trust me you won't go hungry around here. Also, allot of the food can be comped (free) using your players card. If you gamble they have live greyhound racing and simulcast horse racing available.They also have live music concerts scheduled for different dates year round. I applaud the staff at Harrah's, everyone treats you as if you are the only guests there. The staff treats you the way they would want to be treated if they were the guest.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a lower level if possible. The top floor is their 360 steak house restaurant.If...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Ryan M, Manager at Harrah's Council Bluffs, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Rick B,

Thank you for sharing such nice comments about our property! Our Free Valet Service is one of my favorite amenities, as our front entrance is literally steps from the Casino, Hotel and multiple restaurants – you never have to brace the cold, and we’ll even warm your car up for you when it’s time to leave! Our staff takes great pride in the service they provide, and we appreciate your kind words very much.

I do hope you’ll make the trip from Kanas City again before next Winter!

Columbus, Nebraska
Reviewed February 6, 2014

We stayed at Harrahs on a firday night and we had the best service ever. the staff is amazing. This is our 2nd time staying here and it has been great both times. Laura C. was absolutely amazing. she helped us with everything we needed and made sure that our time there was awesome. We will definitely stay here again. And tell our friends to stay here.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Ryan M, Manager at Harrah's Council Bluffs, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Cassandra S,

Thank you very much for sharing such kind words about our staff with the TripAdvisor community. I cannot begin to describe how valuable Laura is to our hotel team, and I am delighted to see that you have recognized her efforts here. Rest assured that we have celebrated her for her successes, and she very much appreciates your comments. Thank you again!

Regards,

Council Bluffs, Iowa
Reviewed February 4, 2014

We stayed at Harrah's on Super Bowl Sunday. Checked into Room 1007 and loved everything about the room. Very Comfortable King Bed and a spacious bathroom. Nice view and very quiet room. Saw a train go by and we didn't hear a thing. Had a Pizza from Stir Backstage Restaurant and that was very good. Being a Rewards Member I will stay again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Jeff C,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us here on TripAdvisor. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay - our riverfront location truly does create some spectacular views, regardless of which direction you are facing. As a member of our Total Rewards program, you should continue to see valuable offers for our property. We hope to see you again soon!

Lincoln, Nebraska
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed this past Friday night. Had a disappointing and expensive meal at 360. We stayed in a smoking room that smelled like someone had smoked 50 cigars right before our entry. We dropped plenty of cash in casino. But had a great breakfast and called it good until I realized I had left half of my purse belongings in the nightstand when we checked out. It wasn't real disturbing until I realized I had left my home and car keys with my checkbook that showed our home address. I called and was transferred to lost and found. I left a message but they only committed to returning my call within 72 hours. If I'd left a sweater behind, that would have been disappointing but I could live with it. I called back and asked for the manager. After several minutes on hold a woman came to the phone and identified herself with her first name. I asked if she was a manager. She said no but I was happy to have a live person so explained my predicament. She put me on hold to look in lost and found. She came back and said they hadn't found anything but would get someone from housekeeping. Another woman came on the phone and explained they would find it and bag it when room was cleaned today. I explained again that we had checked out on Saturday and the room would have been cleaned the day before. She said "oh. That is not what they told me. Just a minute". Then the phone went dead. I called back. The next person told me to call back later in the afternoon. I told them I was about to make the two hour round trip to get my stuff. If they couldn't find it, I would notify police since they had my checkbook, home keys and car keys. I drove over (3ish hours after my first call). The woman at the front desk explained she was the woman that had told me to call back. She said she could check lost and found. I said that had already happened and they had previously sent housekeeping. She called housekeeping on the radio. Then came and asked me what they were looking for. At this point I had explained exactly what I was looking for and where it was multiple times. I thought they had already checked so this was very disappointing. They did bring me my belongings. I explained my frustration to the supervisor on duty that told me calls were being outsourced and they had been very busy. She said she would talk to those involved. I stayed and watched them gather and talk about me. I don't think anyone cared. We won't go back. It was my stupid mistake but no one cared enough to help.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie655
Ryan M, Manager at Harrah's Council Bluffs, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Julie655,

I am terribly sorry to hear about your experience while attempting to retrieve your lost and found items. There is simply no reason why you should have had to go through such an ordeal for what is typically a very simple, streamlined process. I am deeply embarrassed by what is written here, and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you about your experience in more detail. I assure you that we take all of our reviews here to heart, and this matter will not be ignored.

Regards,

New York
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Just got back from a wonderful weekend visit to Council Bluffs. I was brought to the Harrahs property on a promotion, I wasn't sure what to expect. Upon a late night arrival, we easily found the airport shuttle and the quick 10 minute ride to the hotel. The hotel staff were so friendly and accommodating. We had a lovely, clean room with a view of the river and the Omaha skyline in the distance from the 10th floor. The elevators were quick. Hallway noise was minimum, surprising for a Friday and Saturday night. I thought the bed was one of the most comfortable I've found in a hotel. I liked how the hotel is located across from the casino. The food options were impressive: we ate at the Uptown Grill and the Buffet. Both were very good. A visit to the Diamond Lounge did not disappoint, it was a nice refuge from the smokey gaming floor.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor Community! I am happy to see that you enjoyed each aspect of our property - your comment about our views is particularly meaningful coming from a New York resident. Moving the casino from our location on the river to the other side of our property has really changed the dynamic here; whether you are hungry, thirsty, or in need of entertainment, you are always just steps away from the action. I'm glad that you were able to take advantage of all we had to offer, and hope you're able to join us back in Iowa again in the future!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Council Bluffs
Ameristar Casino Hotel Council Bluffs
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs-I-29
Magnolia Hotel Omaha
Hilton Garden Inn Omaha East/Council Bluffs
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Council Bluffs
Residence Inn Omaha Downtown/Old Market Area

Been to Harrah's Council Bluffs? Share your experiences!