“Free stay and worth every penny.”

Harrah's Council Bluffs
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Council Bluffs
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We stayed over a Friday night free thanks to the Total Rewards club. Check in was quick but the staff was not very welcoming. We had reserved a room with a king bed, but were told those were all gone. Apparently they can take a reservation, but not hold a reservation...sorry, old Seinfeld bit. Anyway, the hotel is newer, and the rooms are adequate. In fact, our room was nicer than the one we had at Caesars Las Vegas. Room was clean, bathroom updated, etc. The casino there sucks, small and smoky with no poker room but they have a free shuttle over to the Horseshoe casino,so that worked out. The buffet at Harrahs is also adequate, but I suggest you eat at the Horseshoe buffet when you are over there to gamble, as it has more variety. Overall, for a free night, we can't complain, but not sure I would pay to stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Ryan M, Manager at Harrah's Council Bluffs, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Just 1B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor. Our Total Rewards program provides our guests with a multitude of benefits, from discounted or complimentary hotel stays to excursions around the world. Because of this, both our hotel here at Harrah’s and our virtual hotel partners at Horseshoe run incredibly high occupancy throughout the year. We do make every attempt to honor special requests, but it can be difficult at times because of our occupancy. While our Casino is smaller than our Horseshoe property, it is designed to complement the games and services found at the Horseshoe. Our 24 Hour complimentary Shuttle Service exists so that all of our players can enjoy the best of both of our properties. Whether you prefer the Poker Room at the Horseshoe or the 360 Steakhouse at Harrah’s, we have something for everyone here in Council Bluffs. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 8, 2013

We stopped at this hotel while on a long road trip -- with children. Avoid this place. It is a MAJOR ripoff. First, the room rate was $200ish. No pool. The room was nice but the tv only has a very few free channels. Normal cable channels like Disney, HGTV, etc require payment of an additional fee. So, I paid for the internet so my kids could watch netflix and amazon prime. There is a hefty internet fee. Even worse, the internet fee is PER DEVICE!!! So, I had to pay a second fee for my kid's IPAD. I thought the best deal was the buffet. The food was good.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank ageinert

Ageinert,

I am disappointed to see that your stay did not live up to your expectations. I am confused about your comment regarding our television selection; we do have a full selection of cable channels, and do not have an option to purchase additional channels. You are able to rent Pay-per-View Movies from the TVs, including several movies currently in theaters. Could this be what you are referring to? While we do have a fee for the internet connection in the rooms, we do provide free wireless internet throughout our public spaces. In addition, we provide complimentary access to our business center, complete with computers, office services, and accessible wireless internet. While our rates do fluctuate, we provide an extremely competitive product and service for the Omaha and Council Bluffs area. Should you have any additional questions or comments, please feel free to contact a Hotel Supervisor at 712-329-6000.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Fairly good hotel and casino although hotel needs a bit of updating. The old Harrah's problem with outrageous fees for wi-fi exists. The casino has been moved from the boat and is easier to access, but like so many Harrah's branded casinos, the property suffers from a lack of capital investment. Caesars pours what little money they do allocate in to the Horseshoe brand (which has worse payouts than the Las Vegas airport slots) and its properties in Las Vegas.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Ryan M, Manager at Harrah's Council Bluffs, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Cfrlrohde,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your comments here on TripAdvisor. I would like to inform you that Caesars Entertainment does reinvest a significant amount of money into each of our brands, most notably here in Council Bluffs through the construction of an entirely new Casino this year. While we did not build a new hotel building as well, we continue to make upgrades to our offering each year. For example, so far in 2013 we have upgraded products in the rooms, added HDTV and a new channel lineup, opened a brand new Gift Shop, as well as constructed a brand new Business Center just behind the Front Desk. In addition, while we do have a fee for Wireless Internet inside of our rooms, we do provide complimentary access throughout the lobby area. Even better, we provide complimentary computer and printer services in our Business Center.

As we plan for our improvements each year, we use the feedback from our guests to determine which areas to address. Should you have any specific comments, please feel free to contact a member of the Hotel Management team. Thank you again for your comments - we hope to hear from you soon!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

My daughter and I needed to stay for a meeting and rented a room - we did not get the room type we wanted - so a smoking room smell - high pricing for poor quality beds - my daughter get bit by something in the room. We ate at the buffet which was average quality food. We would not stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Ryan M, Manager at Harrah's Council Bluffs, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Kathy M,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us here on TripAdvisor. I am sorry to see that you did not have the best experience with us. We do attempt to accommodate all room requests for bed and smoking preference; we do recommend making any request to the Front Desk in advance of your arrival. Were you able to voice your concerns to the Front Desk team? All of our team members here are empowered to make decisions for our guests, and I will certainly follow-up with our Supervisors to make sure we can improve our best practices for the future.

Should you wish to speak to us in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact a Front Office Supervisor at 712-329-6000.

Hospitably,

Reviewed July 12, 2013

The first time we stayed here it was wonderful. The second time the casino was remodeled to a small one level. My machine broke down and my boyfriends machine shut off right in the middle of a nice win and it said tilt. We felt ripped off. They didn't comp our room in fact they over charged us by almost twice the amount. The tv reception was horrible. There was only a few places to eat. It was like they are in the middle of a remodel but they won't tell you that. The service was horrible. No one was polite. We will not be going back.

• Stayed: July 2013

Luckone68,

I am sorry to see that your experience with us fell short of your expectations. Regarding your experience in the casino, we do have a team of Slot Attendants trained to respond to all outages as quickly as possible. Was a Slot Attendant dispatched to your location? We strive to explain all outages and malfunctions to the satisfaction of our players; in addition, our machines and their outcomes are highly regulated through the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission.

Concerning the hotel, we completed our construction in the beginning part of June. We do provide a number of dining options, including our 360 Steakhouse, Fresh Market Square Buffet, Stir Live and Loud, and Stir Cove Backstage Grill. Our casino does issue a variety of comps based upon level of play. Under no circumstances would we charge you an additional fee for a guestroom; if you could please contact a Front Office Supervisor at 712-329-6000 with additional information we would be happy to correct any discrepancy with your bill.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us here on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

Two of us and a small 4 month old puppy stayed in one of the rooms on the 3rd floor which is the floor where visitors with pets stay. I believe they call it a pet stay room. Since my pup was young I took my crate which she slept in and I left her in it when we went to eat. I expected the floor and room to smell of dog, but it did not....it was fresh, clean, and spotless. You would have never known it was a pet room. The staff were great. They put us in a room buy the elevator, since I was still training my pup and made about a zillion trips up and down for potty training. She got her own welcome treat bag and little place mat for eating. My dog was made to feel welcome by staff in hallways and lobbies. Lots of green space to walk dog. My only concern about this hotel was slow, poor room service- forgot cream and silverware. Great place to take your pet. We had a good time.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Ryan M, Manager at Harrah's Council Bluffs, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Thank you so much for your kind words! We are very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and appreciate that you took the time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor. We know that pets are very much a part of our families, and we believe that they should be treated as such. While we do designate certain areas of our hotel for pet stays, this is solely because of the convenience of these rooms to the elevator - as the parent of a new puppy, I'm sure you understand why! :) Our cleaning process is very thorough, as it is important to us that our rooms are spotlessly clean and ready for our incoming guests. I hope that you'll stop back by and see us in the future - I'll make sure we have some bigger treats!

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I stayed here twice on this trip and was not disappointed on either occasion. From the front desk through to the maids, everyone was extremely helpful and friendly.
On my first arrival, at 01.00 due to delayed flights, I was met with a friendly smiling face and allocated a room on the 7th floor. On the way up in the lift another guest advised me of a noisy child on the 7th floor. I had been allocated the next room. So went straight back down and, with no fuss was given room 605. The room was spacious and overlooking the river. Wonderful.
The 3 nights I spent here was the perfect start to my holiday and I couldn't fault anything, and as I was returning at the end of my trip, I was assured of a pleasant ending.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Ryan M, Manager at Harrah's Council Bluffs, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Thank you very much for sharing your experience at our hotel on TripAdvisor. We are very happy to see that you enjoyed your stays with us, and sincerely appreciate the kind words about our staff; comments such as yours are the reward for our hard work, and I assure you they do not go unnoticed. If your travels (all the way from England - WOW!) bring you back to the Council Bluffs or Omaha area, I hope that we will be able to give you a perfect start and pleasant ending to your next trip as well!

Thank You!