“Great staff, Great service, Great food, Great location”

Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs-I-29
Ranked #6 of 24 Hotels in Council Bluffs
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We have stayed there for the past few years while in the Council Bluffs area and truly haven't met a nicer bunch of hotel employees. We did make the mistake once of trying the Ameristar but checked out after the first of five nights due to a rude desk employee and went back to the Holiday Inn. They recently remodeled and we always see maintenance staff grooming the property or doing touch up work around the hotel. We have always found the included breakfast to be very substantial and a good start to the day. The use of the Ameristar pool is a real plus and it's just a short walk to the Ameristar Casino. We wish there was a larger selection of restaurants in the area but it's not a long drive to the Omaha Old Town area.

Room Tip: We especially enjoy the rooms on the river side.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Bill V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs-I-29, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Dear Ron S,

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful review of our hotel with the TripAdvisor community! We sincerely appreciate you always choosing to spend your time with us while you are in town. It is great to hear that you have found the service provided by our staff to be flawless. You have given us one of the nicest compliments we can receive from one of our guests and I will make sure to share it with my entire staff so the know what a wonderful job they always do for you. I am very happy to hear that you enjoy our breakfast so much. It is something that is very important for our guests and I am happy that you enjoy it so much. Thank you for choosing to spend your time here with us and I sincerely look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed May 27, 2014

We only stayed at this hotel one night but we would definitely return! The hotel was clean, quiet, and located close to downtown Omaha and Eppley Airfield. The breakfast included juice, coffee, milk, cereal, scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits and gravy and waffles. My kids definitely got our money's worth at breakfast time! The pool is between this hotel and the Ameristar Casino but is easy to walk to through an enclosed walkway. We got a good price on hotwire for this room.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Bill V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs-I-29, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2014

Dear krystalleigh1,

Thank you for taking the time to share you feedback from your recent stay with me. I sincerely appreciate you choosing to spend your time with us. One of the best compliments a hotel can receive is to hear one of our guests say that they would definitely return and that we would be their first choice. I am very happy to hear that you and your family were able to enjoy so many items from our recently expanded breakfast and that you found us to be in the perfect location for anything that you may want to enjoy in the area. I am very happy to hear that you would return to us and I sincerely look forward to the opportunity to serve you again!

Reviewed May 26, 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights and could not find fault with this hotel-from first encounter with NA TALIE at reception who acknowledged my PLATINUM status,I felt a valued guest. Location was excellent for my interests -golf and local culture -and all my journeys were plotted for me.my room was spotless and comfortable and the large screen tv was good.If returning to this area this HOTEL would be a first choice.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo

Dear ALASTAIRDownpatrick,

Thank you for taking the time to share such a wonderful experience with the TripAdvisor community. It is great to hear of the wonderful things you had to say about your time here with us. We value our Platinum IHG Rewards Club members very much as we know what kind of loyalty and dedication it takes to achieve that status. I am very happy that you found your stay to be completely flawless as that is something we work very hard to provide to our guests. I will make sure to relay to my staff what a wonderful job they did on making you feel right at home. I am happy to hear that you will choose us for your next trip to the area and I sincerely look forward to the opportunity to serve you again!

Reviewed May 21, 2014

We were on our way home from Colorado and just needed someplace to spend the night. We got a good last minuet rate so we stayed here. It is an older hotel, and you can tell, even though they have updated some. When we went to check in, the front desk person wasn't rude, but wasn't the friendliest either. When we got to our room, one of the hooks on the black out curtain was off, so our room was really warm. Easy fix, re-hooked the curtain and turned the AC on high. When we went to shower in the morning, there was no hot water. As my wife and I were trying to leave early to arrive home at a decent hour, we both had to take cold water showers. I also noticed at the same time that there was a crack/hole in the tub surround. Then we noticed that the sink was running very slow. As we were packing up our stuff, looking around to make sure we had everything, we discovered a pair of socks that was not ours. When we went to check out, there was a man who was working the front desk, along with a lady who looked to be a manager/supervisor. She had a cup of coffee in her hand and was drinking it in plain view of all the guests checking out. I checked out of the room, and mentioned the hot water issue, and the man said "yes, we know, our hot water heater locked up, and it was too late to do anything." I also mentioned the other issues (hole in the tub surround, and a slow running sink). He wrote the issues on a sheet, and didn't offer an apology. Neither did the manager lady, who was still drinking her coffee.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 485mattv
Bill V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs-I-29, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2014

Dear Matt V,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your recent experience here at my hotel with me. I am very sorry that you had to face those types of issues at my hotel. We care a great deal about the experiences of each of our guests and this is not the type of response to an issue that is typical of our property. I assure you that your review has been passed along to each of my departments so they all understand how frustrating this situation was for you and what steps we can take to ensure that no one faces a similar situation in the future. I would be more than happy to discuss this situation further with you directly to ensure that together we can come to a solution that will make amends for the difficulties you faced during your time with us. My staff and I would all like to extend to you the deepest apologies for your negative experience and I assure you that if you chose to return to us you would have a much better experience.

Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night because we had a early flight out the next day. Great stay as always. Beautiful day to walk outside by the river. Our kids love the pool along with the biscuits and gravy for breakfast.

Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Sarah N
Bill V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs-I-29, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2014

Dear Sarah N,

Thank you for such a wonderful review of our hotel. I sincerely appreciate you choosing to spend your time with us. I am very happy to hear that your stay was a complete success and that you were able to enjoy some of our unique features like our location right on the river. It is great to hear that your kids were able to enjoy our pool and our complimentary breakfast in the morning. If you are travelling through the area again, stop by and see us and I look forward to the opportunity to make your next stay even better than your last!

Reviewed May 11, 2014

Got a great deal on a last minute booking. Was traveling from Boston and just needed a decent place to rest for a night.

Fairly close to airport so that's a bonus.

The thugs at American Airlines lost my luggage so I arrived at the hotel empty handed. Front desk staff was very attentive and offered complimentary toiletries. Was really appreciated.

Room was great. Must have been a party going on on a boat on the river. Was pretty noisy for a couple of hours. Quieted down fairly early so it wasn't a big deal.

Breakfast was fantastic. Great selection.

Room was super clean which is my biggest factor in a hotel.

Was offered a late checkout so that my luggage could catch up with me before I hit the road.

All in all, a good stay. The price was right and if I'm in the area, I'd consider staying again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear Michael J,

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful review of our hotel with the TripAdvisor community! I am very happy to hear how my staff was able to make your stay more enjoyable after what must have been a very frustrating time with the airlines losing your luggage. I will make sure to relay your kind words to them so they know what a wonderful job they did. It is great that you found our rooms to be very clean as I completely agree that this is a critical area for any hotel. Thank you for choosing to spend your layover here with us and I hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future!

Reviewed May 8, 2014

I was on a business trip and don't really care for gambling, but the price was right. This Holiday Inn is very old but they keep it clean. There is a fabulous view out my window of the Missouri river. It has a walkway to the Ameristar Casino in Council Bluffs.
They do have a free hot breakfast which is a savings. And it is very nice. It is much better than the normal Holiday Inn free breakfast where you wonder if those eggs are really eggs. Really good!
Hotel staff is very friendly. I think these people are smart. they know that with 3 or more major casinos in the area, they have to have it together to compete, which they do very well. thank you Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs.
The bad part of the room was it had an old style "window" air conditioner. the desk was next to it and it was annoying to have blow on my while I am working at the desk. Plus it was noisy.

Room Tip: Get a room on the river side.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business

Dear David J,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience here with the TripAdvisor community. I am very happy for all of the wonderful things you had to say about your time here with us. We do indeed have to be on top of our game to compete in a market with so many different choices and it is great to hear you say how we have made such a wonderful impression on you. From our cleanliness to our friendly service to our complimentary breakfast, we work very hard to try to always do the most we can for our guests and I am very happy to hear that you were able to enjoy so many of these areas. I am sorry that your HVAC unit was noisy and I have relayed that part of your survey to my engineering department to ensure that it is corrected right away. Thank you for choosing to spend your time with us and I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to serve you again soon!