“Old and worn, but not awful for one night”

Red Roof Inn & Suites Omaha - Council Bluffs
Ranked #13 of 24 Hotels in Council Bluffs
Reviewed September 11, 2008

Breakfast nook was a stuffy room, carpeting worn and lumpy in places, looked like it could use a paint job in the room. Otherwise, it was clean, just looked like it could use a makeover.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family

Reviewed July 8, 2008

My friend, her daughter and I stayed here for eight nights. We came to Omaha for the Olympic Swim Trials and were unable to get a room in Omaha, so we settled for this, and it turned out quite well. We had a two room suite, with a bed in each room, a kitchenette with fridge and microwave and a bathroom. The suite was clean, with the exception of a small amount of mold in the bathroom. The beds were comfortable, with a bottom sheet, a top sheet and a sheet on top of the blanket. There was an adequate breakfast buffet, served from 6 -10 a. m. Coffee, juices, pastries, dry cereals, make-your-own waffles, toast and bagels. Coffee was available in the lobby all of the time. We enjoyed the hot tub, but the pool water was on the cold side. We really enjoyed the patio just beyond the indoor pool. It was fenced and landscaped nicely. McDonalds, Cracker Barrel, Fazolis, Golden Corral were all within walking distance. We shipped some things at the Office Max across from the hotel, and there was a WalMart and Gordings nearby. It was a 10 minute drive to the Qwest Center in Omaha where the trials were taking place. They also had a coin laundry. The staff was friendly and helpful. This is a family friendly hotel, and we would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 3, 2008

We booked a room at the Settle Inn for an overnight stay at a shareholder’s meeting in nearby Omaha. Council Bluffs is about 12 miles from downtown Omaha and local cabs are plentiful and reasonably priced. The hotel is in a cluster with many of its competitors, as well as a large selection of the usual chain restaurants and a Wal-Mart (which, BTW, sells alcohol if you need to replenish your stash).

Despite the hotel’s fanciful exterior, our room was pretty utilitarian. Walls and ceilings had the anonymous white “textured” finish and the bathtub enclosure was one of those molded structures that installs in one piece. There was a separate sitting area with a smaller TV than the one in the sleeping area. My husband had to retreat there when he couldn’t sleep and reported that the chairs, although they looked comfortable, were not, and that the walls didn’t muffle the sound from the adjoining rooms and the halls at all. I slept comfortably, but noticed the lack of a night stand on my side of the bed. I really like to have a place to stack my reading material and my electronics. The room was clean, though, which was a relief after seeing some of the posts here.

Wi-Fi was free and worked perfectly. I got a glimpse of the indoor pool and it looked like a nice size for a hotel, but I didn’t have time to use that or the fitness center.

Somehow I mistakenly booked a Smoking Room- the hallways in the Smoking section reeked of air freshener and the bedspread smelled of stale smoke. Clearly it was my own fault for booking it that way since we’re nonsmokers (it was printed on the confirmation)- just a warning to avoid the Smoking rooms if you’re not a smoker!

The hotel appears to be owned by a Christian family; framed prints in the hall bore quotes from scripture and the literature in the room included (among the usual tourist attraction brochures) a leaflet of daily Bible readings. My husband and I were quite at home with that; we thought it was a nice touch.

Breakfast included a good selection of hot and cold items. We were off to the meeting so all I got to try was the coffee and a banana.

The Settle Inn was a little too bare-bones for our taste but OK for one night.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 6, 2008

Very nice and clean motel. Room was large, modern, and well kept. Our King bed was so comfortable and soft. Very nice indoor pool area. Also had a large breakfast in the morning that was very good. Staff was friendly and helpful. Location was great! I felt safe and was definately satisfied. We will definately stay there again!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 25, 2008

We stayed at the hotel a week while house hunting in the area. I would never stay here again and would especially not reccomend it to anyone! Our bed was gross and stained with something nasty. It was so uncomfortable, like sleeping on a sheet of plywood! We had to buy a feather topper and get a new blanket. We stayed with our tiny dog and it not only cost us $15 a day more but they made us stay in a smoking room. Air freshner and candles couldn't do anything for the discusting smell. And to top it all off, the desk chair was just sitting there broken and and collapsed when I sat in it. Stay anywhere but at the Settle Inn! The underpass outside looked more comfortable and I know it would smell better.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank jump187
Reviewed October 2, 2007

What a nice surprise to find the Settle Inn. Great location, close to the highway, shopping, restaurants.

I had booked 4 rooms at the Settle Inn for a family event, and I was so pleased with this hotel!

Our reservations were perfect, the rooms were nice, spacious, clean and comfortable. The property is family oriented, the indoor pool area was clean and well maintained. The parking was well lit and plentiful.

What made the biggest impression were the people. I had gotten lost driving to the hotel due to a road construction detour...I called the hotel, and they gave me excellent directions to get to there. The young lady at the front desk was friendly, knowledgeable and accomodating. I dealt with three different front desk people, all were polite, knowledgeable and accomodating.

We had eight people in the party, from 9 years old to 79 years old....everyone loved the place.

The breakfast area was of ample size, very clean, and well stocked and maintained. There was a good selection of the normal bagels, breads, juices, coffee, tea, cereal. The fresh waffles were delicious....one of the best 'Continental' breakfasts I have been to.

This is not a five star hotel. I read some reviews with some negative comments and I did not find any of the issues mentioned in the reviews. Like I said, not a 5 star, but a great spot for a nice room, reasonable price, and nice people.

I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel, and I will be back as we have family in the area. They do have 'theme' rooms available....they were booked, but if you are planning ahead, ask about them, I was walking by one when the people were checking out, very cute decor.....a nice touch.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed May 27, 2006

We had one of the standard rooms with 2 queens and even with a family of 5 we did not feel crowded. The room was clean and the paint and furnishings were fairly new. I had been worried that it would be noisy since we were directly across from the elevator and right above the lobby but we were never bothered by any noise from either. Our kids loved the indoor pool--although you might want to go early since after about 7:00 pm it filled up quickly. We have 3 little girls and they really liked the castle theme and the knight on horseback in front of the turrent was a definite photo op. Our three year old assured me though that they did not keep their dragon in our room or in the pool. Another feature that was a big hit with our kids was the breakfast room--there were lots of choices and the staff member in charge of the continental breakfast kept everything clean and well-stocked. It was very busy and hard to find a table though until the crowd died down about 8:30. So you might want to plan on eating awhile after it opens at 7:00. But in 2 minutes you can have hot, fresh make-your-own belgian waffles--and my family literally ate them up! The location was very good too, close to the Omaha Zoo, right off I-29 and I-80, and a good selection of family-friendly restaurants all around it--and right next to a Wal-Mart is handy, too. The staff were friendly and helpful. I was surprised though that the room did not have a small refrigerator or microwave, but oh well. We were very happy and will gladly stay there again when we go back to see the zoo again!

• Stayed: May 2006