“Worst Hilton Property I've Ever visited”

Hampton Inn Council Bluffs
Ranked #4 of 24 Hotels in Council Bluffs
Colorado Springs, CO
“Worst Hilton Property I've Ever visited”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I stay at Hilton properties for work and Hamptons for family travel because I'm used to a consistent, quality product. This property is clearly not that product. Attached to a casino complex, the brand's usual calm parking area is a crazy, bustling mish-mash of people, many of whom you wouldn't want to encounter in a dark alley. There were men arguing loudly out front, and the lobby was packed with a roudy group of nearly 100, despite the late hour. One front desk person was all I could see.....he was giving it a valiant effort, but the situation was too overwhelming.

I struggled to get to the elevator because a visibly intoxicated man with an open beer was blocking the doorway. When I arrived at my room on the 5th floor, it was stuffy after a nearly 100 degree, oppressively humid day. The light switch at the bed was broken, and the phone next to the bed didn't work. I went to turn up the air conditioning, only to be greeted by an error code. I called to the front desk, and he quickly attempted to get me a new room, but found that there was only a smoking single. With a 6 week old baby, that wasn't going to work. He said he'd send someone up.

After more than 30 minutes in the stuffy room with no help, I googled the error code myself and determined it wasn't going to be fixed tonight. I called Hilton's 800 number, which was worthless...they told me I had to deal with the front desk. I called back down and the front desk guy found me a spot in the company's Hilton Garden Inn down the road, again he did a great job trying to make it right. So, I packed my kids and all our stuff back out through the crazy throng of people in the lobby and searched for the other property. After nearly 12 hours on the road and an hour wasted at the Hampton it was well past midnight before we got situated in a room that was less than 90 degrees. Then that property had soiled linens......

It has the usual amenities you would expect from Hampton....free Breakfast, wifi, parking, with the typical americana-photo branding inside. Unfortunately, I never got that free breakfast. Parking might be free, but it's shared with trucks, casino traffic, and the competitor's customers. Features you might find at other Hampton properties such as a fridge are nowhere to be found.

Hopefully, the poor condition of the room was an anomaly. However, this property has proven both visits to be far less family-friendly than other Hilton Properties due to its proximity to the casino. Make no mistake, this isn't a glitzy and well-kept casino you might see on TV. These are older looking brown-box casinos interspersed with light-industrial and heavy commercial properties. Replace the high-rollers you might imagine with guys you might expect to see in the rough part of town. I was seriously concerned for the contents of my car after a couple repeatedly strolled up and down the parking aisle staring at the contents of my open car while I tried to unload. If you're out to get ripped and roll some dice, you might feel right at home. That's certainly not the situation the brand communicates, however.

My strong recommendation--stay at the Hampton in La Vista, NE just a few minutes down the road. I've had nothing but great experiences there.

Room Tip: Stay at the La Vista, NE Hampton instead!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank bugfreek1
, General Manager at Hampton Inn Council Bluffs, responded to this review, July 11, 2012
Dear bugfreek1,

Thank you for your review of your stay and for choosing us for your trip to the area. I am very sorry for the inconveniences you experienced while you were at our hotel. In regards to the malfunctioning air conditioning unit; I've worked with our maintenance team to fix the issue, however I again apologize that it wasn't resolved before your arrival. I am also very sorry for the issues with the light switch and the telephone. I am reviewing our maintenance procedures to make sure that these types of issues are caught sooner in the future. These are not typical experiences guests have upon their arrival in our rooms and I apologize that this is the experience you faced while with us. We truly do care about the quality of stay for each and every one of our guests. We will use your comments to improve in all areas of guest satisfaction so the issues you faced will not repeat themselves in the future. Thank you again for your comments and I invite you to stay with us again the next time you return to the area so we can provide a better overall hotel stay.

Bill Vanderpool

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
gr, michigan
Reviewed July 2, 2012

This was the second night of a two week motorcycle trip. We appreciated the quiet and very clean room after enduring temperatures in the 100s.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, General Manager at Hampton Inn Council Bluffs, responded to this review, July 10, 2012
Dear cyclingduo30,

Thank you for choosing us as your pit stop for your motorcycle trip. I'm glad we were able to provide you a peaceful and clean place to stay after enduring one of the hottest weeks I can remember. I am very grateful for such a positive review and I will be posting it for my staff to see how happy they make our guests. Thank you for your business and stop back in and see us on your next ride!

Grover Beach, California
Reviewed June 30, 2012

Stayed here during the recent College World Series .. Everything went well ... Nice clean rooms . Nice outer areas too .. FREE PARKING AND WIFI .. How can you ask for anything better ... All of our needs were met .. Will return next year ...

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Dear NoWurk,

I am very happy that you chose to spend your visit to the College World Series with us! Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience. I'm glad to hear that you made good use of our ammenities and that everything was clean and nice for you. I will make sure to share your review with my staff so they know what a great job they did. I would love to have you back next year during the CWS or any other time you might be in the area. I hope to see you again soon!

Ashtabula, Ohio
Reviewed June 16, 2012

We stopped here overnight on our way to Colorado. The hotel was clean and comfortable. It was an unexpected surprise that it our room was directly on the "Mighty Mo" River. Also, the hotel is attached to the Casino. While we didn't go in the Casino, the area was lovely. Highly recommend this hotel on your travels.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the river !
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Hampton Inn Council Bluffs, responded to this review, June 26, 2012
Dear Stez11,

Thank you for choosing to spend your time passing through town to Colorado with us. We appreciate your business. It is very good to hear how much you enjoyed the beautiful view of the river we have behind our hotel. It is definitely one of our better features. It was also good to hear how accomodating our hotel was for you - we love when we can unexpectedly delight our guests. We would love to have you back with us if your travels ever bring you through town again!

Lees Summit
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We enjoyed our stay here as a resting place after a visit to the nearby zoo (you must visit the zoo if you have some time in Omaha). The property is clean and well kept.

Our room was nice and bigger than average. We enjoyed the extra space especially wince our young son was with us. The space allowed us to put him to bed and still watch TV or read.

Breakfast was typical, nicer than the average hotel but normal Hamton fare.

My only complaint would be that there was an empty cookie tray the entire time were there and the tea station had only one tea bag and a bunch of empty boxes. We would have liked to have had a cookie and/or some tea at some point during our stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Bill V, General Manager at Hampton Inn Council Bluffs, responded to this review, June 9, 2012
Dear Nathatt,

Thank you very much for choosing our hotel during your travels to the area. I am happy to hear how great of a job our housekeeping and breakfast staff did for you. I will make sure to let them know that you appreciated their good work. I'm glad that the size of the rooms were also to your liking so you had plenty of room to kick back and relax. I am sorry to hear that the cookies and tea were gone by the time you were here as I know it's the little comforts like those that can have such an impact. I will make sure that we all pitch in to ensure that our supplies are replenished regularly. I thank you very much for your business and hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future!

Omaha, NE
Reviewed May 24, 2012

We live nearby, but we wanted a nice weekend getaway to celebrate our anniversary. We chose the Hampton Inn because it was close to the casinos (connected to the Ameristar) and much more reasonable than the casino's own rooms.

When we arrived, parking was no issue (although we got there around 5 ... maybe it got crowded later in the evening, I don't know). We checked in and the man behind the desk was very polite and friendly. He told us about a shuttle service they offered, which would take us anywhere in a five mile radius. Our room was exactly what we had requested, with a King bed and a kitchenette (small refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker, bar sink). There was also a sofa and coffee table, and a work desk. The room seemed a bit dark, but there were a LOT of lamps scattered throughout, which I like. When all lamps were on, the room was bright enough. And no matter where you were, there was a lamp close by. I could read on the sofa and not disturb my husband in bed. The bedding was nice, the furniture was acceptable, not brand new but kept up nicely. The carpet was the one "eeew" thing in our room, but I've come to expect that in motels.

The shuttle took us to the Old Market, we just had to tell the front desk when we needed it and they called for it. When they dropped us off, they gave us a card with the phone number to call when we were ready to go back to the motel. All in all, very slick! We like the Old Market but hate the driving/parking situation there, so this was a huge perk for us.

We didn't get to use the pool at the Hampton because it was temporarily closed, but they share privileges with the Holiday Inn next door, so we used their pool. It was a nice indoor pool with a small hottub and an outdoor seating area nearby. Oh, the best part were the pool hours ... they opened at 6 am and didn't close til midnight! We actually had time to use it.

The free breakfast at the Hampton was a nice bonus. They had waffles and omelets and sausage, in addition to the pastries and cereals and fruits. They also had snacks available throughout the day (cookies, goldfish crackers, etc). Nothing fancy, but hey, it's a perk!

The indoor walkway from the Hampton, through the Holiday Inn, and ending at the Ameristar was so handy. It was a leisurely little walk, and we very much enjoyed visiting the casino. Just as a sidenote, the buffet at Ameristar had the most amazing, mouthwatering dessert section I've seen in awhile!

We had a nice time here. Lots of smiling faces, spacious room, comfortable and relaxing atmosphere. We'll stay again, maybe on our next anniversary!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BrendaJ73
Dear BrendaJ73,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us on such a big occasion as your anniversary! We truly do appreciate it. I am very happy to hear that it was such a great evening for you. With all of the services we provide we definitely love to hear when we make our guest's stay. I am glad that you had such a good experience with some of our best features like the complimentary shuttle, casino, breakfast, and quality of our rooms. The part of your survey I enjoyed the most was the smiling faces part at the end. We love to make our guests happy and I will make sure to pass on to my staff how great of a job they did for you. We would be honored to have you back for your anniversary next year or any time in between!

Fairfield, Connecticut
Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

We've been going to the Berkshire Hathaway meeting at the convention center in downtown Omaha for years and we've never found a hotel we liked. All the hotels in the immediate vicinity of the convention center seem to be reserved for Berkshire big shots and all the other hotels we've tried are either inconvenient for dreary or both.

However, the Hampton Inn in Council Bluffs is less than ten minutes from the convention center and is also connected to a casino, a steakhouse, a sports bar, an Italian restaurant and a couple of other restaurants. Further, they offered free shuttle service to and from the convention center. So although this is a standard Hampton Inn (basic but with everything you really need) it will be our choice for all Berkshire Hathaway meetings in the future.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bic20
Bill V, General Manager at Hampton Inn Council Bluffs, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear Bic20,

I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Hampton Inn Council Bluffs, we truly do appreciate your business. I am very happy that we were able to provide you with everything you needed during your time with us. To hear that we are the first hotel that you have been happy with during your years of coming to the annual meeting really means alot to us. We are very fortunate to have guests like you who truly appreciate all that we have to offer including the restaurants, shuttle, and casino. I look forward to serving you in the future and I will see you next year!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Council Bluffs
Comfort Inn at the Zoo
#51 of 82 in Omaha
SpringHill Suites Omaha East/Council Bluffs, IA
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Council Bluffs
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suit...
#11 of 24 in Council Bluffs

Been to Hampton Inn Council Bluffs? Share your experiences!